Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why did Phil discontinue the model with rolled tone holes and the underslung octave key? Any issues??

·
Registered
472 Posts
Phil would be the best to answer that. He's very approachable so shoot off an email and post the reply. I'd be interested in what he has to say.

·
Banned
492 Posts
Yeah, I think I read somewhere else in here that Mr. Barone used to have a model with rolled holes. Wonder if he's gonna tweak his next-gen horns with some of the features on that new Antiqua horn? Like the no stick G# and the connected C#/B keys at the left hand pinky. According to a review I read, Antiqua lifted those ideas from the JK and the Yani. Mr. Barone says, rolled tone holes ain't all what they're cracked up to be, especially if they're done wrong and cheaply. And I believe him!

·
Registered
340 Posts
I've never understood what the big deal is with rolled tone holes. For the last forty years I've been playing a 10M, and the RTH are a real pain in the rear. All that extra surface area does, is make the pads stick more easily, and I also like a very light action on the keys, which adds to the sticking problem. Thumbs down on rolled tones. It's my understanding that they were invented to reduce the tendency of straight holes to cut the pads, and today's more durable pads eliminate that problem.

As far as the 10M goes, I think it is something else, if anything, that make the RTH 10M models sound better. Maybe it's the 'magic' serial number effect that does it. Like the Selmers.

·
Banned
492 Posts
Wow,... you're right. All the way down to the case. Looks like its got the double arm on both the B & Bb keys! Even down to the Pisoni pads! But I bet there ain't a custom mouthpiece hidden in the somewhere in the case. Doesn't our Barones also come with one of his custom necks too? I dunno, I think the custom mpc and neck is the better deal over RTHs given everything else is nearly identical,... including the price.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Could very well be same supplier/manufacturer. wwbw confirmed today that it is indeed taiwan made. I dont know if the barone neck is his own or just a taiwan made neck.
Sometimes wwbw has great rebates and coupon specials. May be able to snag one at one of the famous 25% deals. 1200 range ..keep lookin :bluewink:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I received an email from Phil. The older model with RTH and the underslung neck was made in china and was not up to his specifications. BTW, my Couf has RTH and no issues with sticking pads.

·
Banned
492 Posts
Well that's good to hear that Mr. Barone put that model out to pasture and went with the current model. Those China models where they from the Mac8 era? I understand the model he's sending us now replaced the Mac8's.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Well that's good to hear that Mr. Barone put that model out to pasture and went with the current model. Those China models where they from the Mac8 era? I understand the model he's sending us now replaced the Mac8's.
Yup, the chinese versions were called Mac20 I believe.
The current barone 'vintage' replaced the mac8.
If the wwbw allora horns go on sale, may be worth it.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
There is no proof that these Allora saxophones are the same as Barones. They might look similar but that means nothing.

Many Asian saxophones have "cosmetic" similarities but the bore, tone-hole placement, bell/bow, etc... can be very much different.

·
Registered
207 Posts
There is no proof that these Allora saxophones are the same as Barones. They might look similar but that means nothing.

Many Asian saxophones have "cosmetic" similarities but the bore, tone-hole placement, bell/bow, etc... can be very much different.
I do agree. I had one of the early barone mac8 altos and it was not very well made..clunky and had a few build problems. My orpheo signature was much better quality.
Now, I am sure the newer barones are quite possibly better made and of higher quality.
I dont think it was a hardware issue as more of a QA issue at that time.

·
Banned
492 Posts
Wow,... growing pains I guess you could say. I've heard people talk about the Barone issue Mac8, a lot of people in here are still blowing on those aren't they? And you can still buy them, but they're from Mr. Barone's shop I understand. But this is the first time hearing the history on the Mac20's! Are those the horns he started out with back in '82 (geez, I wasn't even born then), or was there something even before the Mac20? Interesting hearing the evolution of my horn.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts