Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - so in need of help! I've been looking at numerous posts about different brands and am totally confused about what to buy. I completely admit to being tone deaf and musically challenged myself. My son is going into 10th grade, and is head over heels with wind ensemble and marching band, to the point of wanting to be a music major in college. But, he's 15, so I won't hold him to that. A couple of examples of music that he plays is Fugue in G minor for WE, and the marching band is doing Queen songs for the fall season, if that matters with what type of horn to buy. He is less interested in jazz, but says it is growing on him...

His rental-->purchase has to be replaced. It squeaks on certain notes and we had it refurbished a couple of months ago, which didn't fix the problem. Our local music store has two jupiters on sale, he liked the 25th anniv. - it was $1400. No others to compare to in person. His band director is not a sax player and couldn't recommend a particular brand. After looking through tons of posts, we thought that buying a barone alto might be a better choice that the jupiter for a step up instrument. We are near NYC, so we could go try one out. I can't really afford to go over $1500 at this time.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,589 Posts

·
3,589 Posts
Oh, I forgot to mention the marketplace on SotW! You can't try before buying unless you find someone close to you, but I have bought and sold several great saxes (and accessories) through the marketplace. Never had a problem at all, and there are always great deals.

This one would definitely fit the bill, and I would recommend getting the mouthpiece with it. Phil's muthpieces are really nice, and a good fit to his horns! Not to mention that the seller is a good guy.

http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showth...hil-Barone-Classic-Alto&p=1699595#post1699595

·
Registered
591 Posts
For that money I think you can get him an early Conn 6M or even cheaper a transitional in good playing shape. I will keep him busy for the rest of his life. Mine does anyway.

EDIT: just checked on usahorn.com and apparently dealers charge much more for one than you'd have to pay on ebay.

·
3,589 Posts
For that money I think you can get him an early Conn 6M or even cheaper a transitional in good playing shape. I will keep him busy for the rest of his life. Mine does anyway.
Yes, the vintage market opens a whole new arena. I assumed new because of the focus of the original post. Plus, it doesn't sound like he has a saxophone player for lessons right now...Thought a modern horn would be a little easier to just pick up and play.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Fugue in G minor for WE...
If by Fugue in G Minor you mean Bach's Little Fugue or the sax adaptation Fudge Fugue, wonderful. If he can play that at 15 I think he has some potential. I should know. I was 16 before I could play the tenor part and didn't learn the sop part for another year.

I cast my vote for the Barone. They are really nice horns for the price and would be still at $1000 more. It is pretty much your only option for a decent pro model in your price range and it should get him through college.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,640 Posts

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
A member on this forum is selling a Barone alto for cheap. http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?162392-FS-T-Phil-Barone-Classic-Alto This member is a good guy and takes care of his stuff. I'm sure the horn he is selling is in good shape.
Oh, I forgot to mention the marketplace on SotW! You can't try before buying unless you find someone close to you, but I have bought and sold several great saxes (and accessories) through the marketplace. Never had a problem at all, and there are always great deals.

This one would definitely fit the bill, and I would recommend getting the mouthpiece with it. Phil's muthpieces are really nice, and a good fit to his horns! Not to mention that the seller is a good guy.

http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showth...hil-Barone-Classic-Alto&p=1699595#post1699595
Thank you very much for the kind references. Right now there is a pending sale but if it falls through, I'll let you know.

I do my best to be honest with my sales :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,580 Posts
FYI squeaking on certain notes is usually either a bad reed, bad mouthpiece, or embouchure problem.

+1 for Barone saxes though

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you for the suggestions. I was sorry to see the used Barone did sell, I think it would have been a good solution. There is a Hohner President for sale on the board, the price would be a huge bonus for us - if it would be a good option for a HS student with plans to continue beyond. Any opinions are appreciated, I am not familiar with any of the brands. Would you buy this for a 15 year old aspiring music major or will we be glad we spent more for a Barone or Yamaha? Thx!

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Thank you for the suggestions. I was sorry to see the used Barone did sell, I think it would have been a good solution. There is a Hohner President for sale on the board, the price would be a huge bonus for us - if it would be a good option for a HS student with plans to continue beyond. Any opinions are appreciated, I am not familiar with any of the brands. Would you buy this for a 15 year old aspiring music major or will we be glad we spent more for a Barone or Yamaha? Thx!
Sorry about that!

It largely depends. As far as playability goes, I'd take the Barone over a Yamaha any day. However, if the kid wants to go into college for music, you might want to wait. Studios often have requirements or at least, strong recommendations for music equipment.

You should get the current sax maintained, provided it's a decent make. What does he play now? Mouthpiece, horn, reeds, ligature, etc.

Ignore the Hohner.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I know - I was a few days too late on that one! Thanks for the info. His current one is one we got as a rental in 4th grade, a Jupiter 667. It has a key at the top that won't stay attached, his MB music teacher couldn't figure out how to attach it and the tech at our local shop reattached it recently, but it came off again. We did have new pads and a refurb a couple of months ago, and he does switch from synthetic reeds to #2 reeds depending on whether he's playing for marching band/practicing/WE. Beyond that I'm clueless, which is half the problem... It was pretty beaten up when we got it and six years with our kid hasn't helped it - his band directors' opinion is that it's time to move on now rather than later, but to what is a tougher question.

I did talk with his summer instructor today and he recommended either a Yamaha or Selmer, but no specific makes and there are so many variations. He said he's always bought used, and got the Mark VI he plays at a flea market for $70 (before refurb), but I doubt we'd know what we were looking at anyway, lol.

There is a used Yamaha 52 on ebay for $1,000. Maybe I should be looking that direction or waiting and looking for a used Barone or saving up for a new Yamaha or Barone.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Andrewhead, in regards to the Fugue piece - I asked my son, since it was a year ago and thought I might have had it wrong, but it was a sax ensemble Fugue in G minor. They are doing some other version, along with some Mozart this summer. It was one of the first times I'd seen a sax ensemble and it was an incredible piece, I wish I could describe it better so it would be easier for others to find, but I am musically challenged. The main reason I mentioned what music he plays is if different saxes are better for different musical pieces, but perhaps there isn't a difference.

Thanks for the opinion on brands, also clueless about that, but trying to get something that will be good for my son and also not be a waste of our money. We've already paid way too much for a Jupiter rental, and don't want to make the same mistake twice!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts