Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had the pleasure of playing the new Barone metal mouthpieces, and they are outstanding.
In case you don’t know, Phil is moving these out for a very good price, and it would behove y’all to acquire one of these first class tenor pieces while you still can. I can tell you, over time these pieces will grow in stature, as they have done since Phil Barone began making them, and when he’s not making them any more those who have them will be happy and fortunate. When you see and play one you will know. These are pieces that you grow into, not out of.

If you are a fan of a vintage Link, brought to perfection by a master refacer crafting the piece to be its best, you will love a Barone metal mouthpiece. They are jewels. The facing is perfect, you can time an egg by how well they seal with the pop test, the response and full even tone up and down the horn, the impressive intonation, they are the best out there.

Check it out. Ya snooze ya lose.

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
I have had the pleasure of playing the new Barone metal mouthpieces, and they are outstanding.
In case you don’t know, Phil is moving these out for a very good price, and it would behove y’all to acquire one of these first class tenor pieces while you still can. I can tell you, over time these pieces will grow in stature, as they have done since Phil Barone began making them, and when he’s not making them any more those who have them will be happy and fortunate. When you see and play one you will know. These are pieces that you grow into, not out of.

If you are a fan of a vintage Link, brought to perfection by a master refacer crafting the piece to be its best, you will love a Barone metal mouthpiece. They are jewels. The facing is perfect, you can time an egg by how well they seal with the pop test, the response and full even tone up and down the horn, the impressive intonation, they are the best out there.

Thanks Cliff, you're a pleasure to do business with. Phil Barone

·
Registered
1,611 Posts

Allow me to second the motion. I feel very fortunate to have been able to buy one of the last few Super New Yorks from Phil recently for a very reasonable price, and it's really great. I'm terrible at describing these kinds of things, but I would say it's a little on the dark side (with a little edge if you push it), very even up and down, great intonation, just the right amount of resistance. Just what I was looking for! If you're at all curious, I would encourage you to contact Phil to see what (if anything) he has left. I agree with Cliff: these are going to be highly sought after in years to come, so "you snooze, you lose."

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
Allow me to second the motion. I feel very fortunate to have been able to buy one of the last few Super New Yorks from Phil recently for a very reasonable price, and it's really great. I'm terrible at describing these kinds of things, but I would say it's a little on the dark side (with a little edge if you push it), very even up and down, great intonation, just the right amount of resistance. Just what I was looking for! If you're at all curious, I would encourage you to contact Phil to see what (if anything) he has left. I agree with Cliff: these are going to be highly sought after in years to come, so "you snooze, you lose."
Thank you, it's a pleasure working for you. I still have some CNC machined Super NY metal tenor mouthpieces and I'm talking with Keith Bradbury about finishing some of the hand-made type pieces I have left from the old days. If anyone wants a Super NY now's the time. I also have two Jazz models left, that's what Steve Grossman uses, it's like an old Link only more responsive. Phil Barone

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,579 Posts
Thank you, it's a pleasure working for you. I still have some CNC machined Super NY metal tenor mouthpieces and I'm talking with Keith Bradbury about finishing some of the hand-made type pieces I have left from the old days. If anyone wants a Super NY now's the time. I also have two Jazz models left, that's what Steve Grossman uses, it's like an old Link only more responsive. Phil Barone
I have a SNY and a Jazz, both .105 and they're both really damn good. I A-B'd them last night, and they're not too different (for me) though the SNY is more open sounding whereas the Jazz is more "compact" if that makes sense. The SNY is probably a hair brighter and seems to be a bit bigger/louder as well.

Curious Phil as to why you didn't make anything below .100 though as a lot of those older Links played great around a 6 or so...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,767 Posts
I guess I'll pile on here. I've been playing the SNY every day for the last week or so and have been loving it. As someone who spent almost 10 years on the same Link before going experimenting with mouthpieces, I've come to expect and require a certain kind of resistance and a certain kind of response to my air. For me, shaping the tone and getting the horn to respond feels very natural and intuitive on the SNY, more so than on the Hollywood I was playing before, which I found to be just a bit more resistant than I prefer. The SNY is a bit more free-blowing, with enough resistance to shape the sound but not so much that you have to work against it.

The tone is on the darker side, but I have always been able to get quite a bit of brightness out of this style of mouthpiece and this one picks it up beautifully as you push. On my 10M, it gains a nice edge without the tone falling apart or the intonation getting weird.

Some on SOTW have witnessed the GAS spiral I've been on with regards to tenor mouthpieces lately, but I think I'm ready to settle down for a bit and just enjoy myself. For now, at least, I'm good.

Thanks, Phil.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
7,355 Posts
I've never played a Barone. And I can easily assume that the quality you are getting dealing straight with the man is going to be excellent based on my years here on the forum. I owned one of his necks and it was indeed hands down amazing.
I have however been interested in trying one for easily a decade now.
But many times I've been interested in buying one (used here on the forum) the pics I've seen have often had a very odd or lopsided tip rail shape.

The people posting these always say they play great and always say that they are in original condition. But when the hollywood's starting going for a really nice price a few years ago I couldn't justify buying one without playing it with the pictures that were being posted.

Now that Phil is going out of the business I may never have a chance to deal with him direct so I would recommend getting on this while the getting is good. Just like everyone else.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
...But many times I've been interested in buying one (used here on the forum) the pics I've seen have often had a very odd or lopsided tip rail shape....
I’m not sure what you mean by the tip rail looking funny. I’ve had Barone’s from an early ‘97 Hollywood to the ones Phil makes now, and everyone I have seen has had a perfect facing.

Here’s a few pics of a current model Jazz:
View attachment 214186 View attachment 214188 View attachment 214190 View attachment 214192

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
1,146 Posts
I have a SNY and a Jazz....Jazz plays a little darker, both great pieces....tip/rails on both are fine....

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
I've never played a Barone. And I can easily assume that the quality you are getting dealing straight with the man is going to be excellent based on my years here on the forum. I owned one of his necks and it was indeed hands down amazing.
I have however been interested in trying one for easily a decade now.
But many times I've been interested in buying one (used here on the forum) the pics I've seen have often had a very odd or lopsided tip rail shape.

The people posting these always say they play great and always say that they are in original condition. But when the hollywood's starting going for a really nice price a few years ago I couldn't justify buying one without playing it with the pictures that were being posted.

Now that Phil is going out of the business I may never have a chance to deal with him direct so I would recommend getting on this while the getting is good. Just like everyone else.
I used to make castings and they didn't look terrific because of the process but they played their butts off. You're missing a lot of my best work because you're spending time looking at them instead of playing them. You should reconsider your perspective, Brecker played one of my cast Hollywood pieces and loved it. So can you but you have to get past what you think you know and just play the piece. Nothing is more uneven than your reeds anyway and there's CNC machined pieces that look perfect but don't play very well too. There's too much bad information on the net, don't take it to heart. Phil Barone

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here’s a few pics of the facing on my ‘97 Holllywood, older cast model. As you can see, it’s been very well used, and for good reason. The facing might not look pristine or perfect or what ever, but it seals tighter than Fort Knox, and plays and sounds great:

View attachment 214194 View attachment 214196

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
I have a SNY and a Jazz, both .105 and they're both really damn good. I A-B'd them last night, and they're not too different (for me) though the SNY is more open sounding whereas the Jazz is more "compact" if that makes sense. The SNY is probably a hair brighter and seems to be a bit bigger/louder as well.

Curious Phil as to why you didn't make anything below .100 though as a lot of those older Links played great around a 6 or so...
Since the baffle is a little higher than a Link I felt that they would thin out and I always felt that 7*'s and 8's were the most popular so I went with that. Also, you don't get as much volume with the closed pieces as you do with the more open ones but you're right, they sound great. Phil

·
Forum Contributor 2013-2019
1,010 Posts

I also have had both in .105 and agree with your assessment. I ended up selling the SNY to a friend of a friend who really wanted it (and now wish I kept it) but I think I like the Jazz even better. Both fantastic mouthpieces. And Phil is a great guy to do business with.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
...Phil is a great guy to do business with.
I would like to truncate that statement if I may...
Phil is a great guy... Period!

I am so done with gear... now that I snagged a "Jazz Model". I didn't know Steve Grossman played one. I was thinking "I'm sure no top pro expert, but dang I think this Phil piece is the no-s*** s***!" That just makes me more certain I found mouthpiece heaven!
My Florida Link will probably be looking for a new home...

Thank you, Phil! All the best to you in all your future pursuits.

(Theo in Michigan)

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
I would like to truncate that statement if I may...
Phil is a great guy... Period!

I am so done with gear... now that I snagged a "Jazz Model". I didn't know Steve Grossman played one. I was thinking "I'm sure no top pro expert, but dang I think this Phil piece is the no-s*** s***!" That just makes me more certain I found mouthpiece heaven!
My Florida Link will probably be looking for a new home...

Thank you, Phil! All the best to you in all your future pursuits.

(Theo in Michigan)
Thanks Theo! It really pleases me to read stuff like your post and it's nice to go out with a bang. I have two Jazz models left, both 8's and I have a few Super NY's left, 7*'s, 7**'s and 8's. I also have three Hollywood blanks left, that's what Brecker played but I need a month to finish them. They're all $300. I can also make anyone who wants one a custom made piece using one of my blanks, you'll never need another mouthpiece again. Thank you all, you've been terrific. Phil

·
Registered
158 Posts
I can't agree more with you both. I got in and got a Super New York as well to replace my old link. I feel like the super new york has a lot more clarity and control than my link. It is louder but still clear and controlled. I haven't wanted to stop practicing since it came. I usually don't put too much stock in gear, but I'm loving this mouthpiece so much its really brought back some of the fun in practicing. Very free blowing and don't want to put it down. I'm thrilled I was able to take advantage of this deal, definitely would've missed out on a great piece.

Thanks!
Kristy

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
I can't agree more with you both. I got in and got a Super New York as well to replace my old link. I feel like the super new york has a lot more clarity and control than my link. It is louder but still clear and controlled. I haven't wanted to stop practicing since it came. I usually don't put too much stock in gear, but I'm loving this mouthpiece so much its really brought back some of the fun in practicing. Very free blowing and don't want to put it down. I'm thrilled I was able to take advantage of this deal, definitely would've missed out on a great piece.

Thanks!
Kristy
Thanks Kristy, it's always a pleasure to serve you. I now have two Hollywood blanks left, Jeff Coffin bought one today along with a Super NY. Hope you're all enjoying your mouthpieces. Phil

·
Registered
6 Posts
Dear Phil,

I have one of your Mainstream #7* mouthpieces (M021) and love it. I'd like to have another one, if possible. How could we arrange that?

Lorenzo S.

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
Dear Phil,

I have one of your Mainstream #7* mouthpieces (M021) and love it. I'd like to have another one, if possible. How could we arrange that?

Lorenzo S.
Hi Lorenzo,

I have one Jazz model #8 in stock ready to go, it's like the ultimate Link and I'm finishing off the last of the Super NY's but they will take me a couple of weeks. They also play like a Link but they're much more responsive, louder and free-blowing. You can email me at [email protected] Thanks! Phil

·
Registered
Tenor sax
55 Posts
Im not a mouthpiece connoisseur by any means, but i have an older Barone Hollywood and its the best i have ever played.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts