Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
4,572 Posts
I love the sound of my bare brass vintage tenor! It is at my tech's place right now for some set up and personalization work, and I can't wait to get it back. I have only played one Mark VI (about 3 years ago?), and I have never played a Barone classic, but from what people say, they are more comparable to the Mark VI. The Vintage is more along the lines of the old Conns.

My Vintage has a very complex tone and is mouthpiece friendly. I would not hesitate to recommend a Barone to anyone. In addition to the Vintage tenor, I own a classic alto, and just sold a straight/ classic soprano (only because I have wrist problems that flare up with a straight sop.).

Good luck in your search. Not trying to sway you, but for the price of one "good" Mark VI, you could have a full stable of Barones...:mrgreen:

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
4,572 Posts
I would have quoted Phil. but there wouldn't have been room on the page!

Though he has an obvious bias, I totally agree...

As for the finish, get the one you like. Yes, the bare brass and vintage bare brass require a little more work to keep looking pretty...but who cares about pretty as long as it sounds good. Silver is also a hard finish to keep clean, but I think Phil has his lacquered so they clean like any other lacquered horn.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts