Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,913 Posts
Get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone get the barone

·
Registered
5,913 Posts
I would have quoted Phil. but there wouldn't have been room on the page!

Though he has an obvious bias, I totally agree...

As for the finish, get the one you like. Yes, the bare brass and vintage bare brass require a little more work to keep looking pretty...but who cares about pretty as long as it sounds good. Silver is also a hard finish to keep clean, but I think Phil has his lacquered so they clean like any other lacquered horn.
I saw post recently where the guy was selling his lacquered Yamaha so he could buy an unlacquered Yamaha but I didn't have the heart to tell him it didn't make a difference. Sometimes it's just better to remain silent. Phil

·
Registered
5,913 Posts
I would have quoted Phil. but there wouldn't have been room on the page!

Though he has an obvious bias, I totally agree...

As for the finish, get the one you like. Yes, the bare brass and vintage bare brass require a little more work to keep looking pretty...but who cares about pretty as long as it sounds good. Silver is also a hard finish to keep clean, but I think Phil has his lacquered so they clean like any other lacquered horn.
Yes, the silver-plated horns are lacquered so you don't have to do much if anything. It's the same as a lacquered horn but I think the bare brass horns may be the easiest to take care of because the schmutz doesn't really show up, it just stays hidden among all the faded metal. The bare brass horns aren't really smooth or look like little particles of dust and stuff could show up because it's dull and stuff is hidden very easily so there isn't anything to worry about. Phil Barone

·
Registered
5,913 Posts
Since I see that Phil is participating in this thread . . . are there any construction differences between the Classic and Vintage? The specs seem like the Vintage is a higher-end horn: detachable bell/bow, fancier pads, blued steel springs, etc. but I don't know if these are actual differences or just what's been put on the web page, or if real, whether they are a "difference that makes a difference".
Oh they're for real. The Vintage model has a larger bore so the sound is broader, a little darker and warmer. But of course these things can be offset with different mouthpieces. The Vintage model also has double arms on some of the low notes so they don't require as much pressure to close. It also has a larger bell and extra engraving just inside the bell. The sound is more like the classic Conn 10M but without the drawbacks of the terrible keyboard that the 10M had. It's a gorgeous horn and is more popular than the Classic.

The Classic doesn't have the double arms or the extra engraving inside the bell and it has a little smaller bore so the sound is not as broad and is brighter. The sound is more reminiscent of the old Selmer Mark VI's only it has more overtones. In fact if I didn't know what I was playing I would have sworn it was a Mark VI it was that similar in sound. At least that's what I thought when I played it for the first time.

Phil Barone

·
Registered
5,913 Posts
While you wait for an official response I think I may be able to shed a little light on this. The classic has a larger bell and projects a little louder (more like a Mark VI) while the vintage is setup more like an old Conn. I am quoting someone here but I don't remember where I saw this.
It's the Vintage with the larger bell. Phil

1 - 6 of 6 Posts