Sax on the Web Forum banner
41 - 52 of 52 Posts
We have 3 of Phil's horns (I say "we" because I bought them and my son plays them): a curved soprano, an alto and a baritone. The Honey Gold is beautiful. Actually, even the standard gold lacquer has a darker tint that say a Yamaha, and it's very nice too. But, for my taste, the honey gold has just enough vintage look to make it look like a museum piece that can be played. If he'd sell one of his tenors, we'd get a tenor too. So far, all sound great. My only complaint is that Phil didn't send Miss September to deliver it like he promised ;)

I would just suggest to think twice before getting a plated horn. They are heavier. It isn't a lot of extra weight but I notice a difference when playing for hours. The Lacquer is just a bit lighter but it feels a lot better around your neck after long practice or gigs.
You are a sensitive guy Stormott77... I think you are the only one in the world who can sense those 3-4 grams of gold plate because thats what we are talking about for a tenor and thats just the extra weight from a bare horn. Guessing the laquer weighs a few grams as well....

A gold plated horn stays the same for ever and ever, so for that reason alone I would choose that finish any time. Silver just needs so much attention - almost like a woman - look to the side, and she is gone black on you... :)

You are a sensitive guy Stormott77... I think you are the only one in the world who can sense those 3-4 grams of gold plate because thats what we are talking about for a tenor and thats just the extra weight from a bare horn. Guessing the laquer weighs a few grams as well....

A gold plated horn stays the same for ever and ever, so for that reason alone I would choose that finish any time. Silver just needs so much attention - almost like a woman - look to the side, and she is gone black on you... :)
LMFAO, I love it. It could be my Cannonball is just a much heavier horn and it happens to be a plated horn.

I'm confused? So the "custom necks" listed on your site are larger in bore than the necks supplied with the horn (namely the Vintage line)? Thanks.

I don't know how to compare them to other necks because I haven't seen my competitors but my necks have larger bores than what you'd get if I were to supply it with the neck that I buy the horn with. A larger bore gives you a darker sound, a more even register and fatter high notes. The entire register is bigger but it effects the upper register more. The only drawback to them is if you don't play the right mouthpiece for the right music the horn could end up sounding too dark. Sometimes I see one of my horns on eBay and I'm certain it's because the customer didn't match the right mouthpiece with the horn because the horns themselves deliver but the player really has to know how to play and what I mean by that it that they have to know how to fill the horn up with air and it's crucial that they put the right mouthpiece on there. The mouthpiece may be more important than anything in fact.

Eric, if you don't mind me saying, I see you spend a lot of time on here and I think you'd do yourself a favor by spending a little less time thinking about gear and more time in the shed. You're thirteen, right? I'm only saying this because I made the mistake of spending too much time with gear and, well, I actually practiced a lot but I wish I had spent less time with gear and just practiced because I found that for the most part by practicing I could transcend my equipiment. Phil Barone

One comment on the satin is mine seems to be wearing very fast. I'm not hard on lacquer but this horn does seem to have wear marks on the palm keys and side Bb key already. Not a big deal since I only care about how it plays. And yes, my Classic is an amazing horn! I'm not sure how the satin lacquer wears compared to the others but just a heads-up.

Since you're buying mainly on price, you should go with the one that is least expensive. I think that'd be regular lacquer.

Out of interest, i have the Copper vintage. Did nobody else consider this finish....Hey Phil....a
Everyone was saying that it was pink,... so I kinda took it off the short list. Just couldn't get my head around a pinkish horn. Based on the pics on the Barone site, it was at least believable. But I can imagine the attraction of a horn that makes you think it's made out of bunch of shiny pennies. Yeah,...

Jr.

I saw some pics of the copper-plated barone horn on an auction site and it was very copper-y. It wasn't a subtle look, it looked like a horn made out of melted pennies.

If you want a more subtle effect, the vintage gold lacquer actually has a lot of reds and orange tints to it, and looks very unique without looking like a newly minted penny.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.