Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I know people have been wanting me to post some clips of my Classic Tenor. I have not had the time to get anything together and to top it all off I got the worst stomach bug I have ever had. I was on the pot with a bucket in my lap for a couple days and then I slept for about a week. I lost 8 pounds. I haven't played for two weeks until today. So I made a short clip with my Classic and then with my Cannonball. I will post more soon.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpPRjtVNzDM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9w6PbjcYP0

I can hear the difference big time. I can really feel the Classic vibrate my hands when I play it. It has a nice thick core that I hope this show. I'm really rusty in my playing after my sickness but that is just the way it goes.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Which is which? The black one (link 2) is the cannonball?

I just wish when people did these comparison things, they use a good mic. It's doesn't do anyone any good to listen to the camcorders rendition of saxophone at 2 paces.......Heck, I'd rather just have some mp3s that were done using a good mic or something.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008
1,555 Posts
Thanks for taking the time, stormott. The Barone sounds much brighter than the Cannonball (when recorded). I used to own a Barone classic in silver plate and also thought it was a very bright sax. Keywork was very nice and the volume was excellent.

Ericdano, perhaps a bit more tact would not hurt vs. someone who took the time to post some videos which have been loudly requested for a while by many...

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,581 Posts
Thank you! Despite your sickness, both clips sound good. Maybe the recording set-up isn't ideal for everyone, but I've heard a lot worse. At least the sound is good and clear. You can definitely tell the difference between the two. PB seems more directional, while the Cannonball sort of envelopes the mic as it fills the room. Both sound great, but you seem more comfortable on the Cannonball. I know that you have played that horn for many years. Though different, I really like both sounds equally. They sounded like you.

·
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you! Despite your sickness, both clips sound good. Maybe the recording set-up isn't ideal for everyone, but I've heard a lot worse. At least the sound is good and clear. You can definitely tell the difference between the two. PB seems more directional, while the Cannonball sort of envelopes the mic as it fills the room. Both sound great, but you seem more comfortable on the Cannonball. I know that you have played that horn for many years. Though different, I really like both sounds equally. They sounded like you.
I'm still more dialed on the Cannonball but I love the Classic so much. I don't play the Cannonball at all. When I do play it I instantly lock right in with it. The Barone will get there soon enough. They don't feel that much different but the little things make a difference. The Barone is more resistant than the Cannonball. The key work is very similar.

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,581 Posts
I'm still more dialed on the Cannonball but I love the Classic so much. I don't play the Cannonball at all. When I do play it I instantly lock right in with it. The Barone will get there soon enough. They don't feel that much different but the little things make a difference. The Barone is more resistant than the Cannonball. The key work is very similar.
I've been playing my Barone Vintage exclusively for the last 5 weeks despite a few mechanical issues and a bent bell. My tech is convinced it came that way from the factory and Phil just didn't check it that closely. If it had happened due to a bump while shipping it would have been out of playing adjustment too...the other option, which I don't believe would be true because I don't know how much actual set-up work Phil does, is that it was set-up knowing the bell was bent...I really don't think Phil would do that purposely though. He was always upfront about everything. Plus, you can't play this horn and not notice that the octave mechanism is messed up and very slow to switch from the neck to body vent when the G key is pressed. There are other set-up and regulation things being done to get it in top playing condition as I type this (a few leaks and a couple uneven tone holes). I digress, back on your topic...

So, what I was going to say was: I had shipped my Cannonball back home from Texas ahead of me for a thorough tech check, and when I got back and played it: it was so smooth! The key layout is pretty much the same. The only major difference is that there is a little more of a reach to the left and right pinky keys on the Barone than the Cannonball. Other than the technical issues above, the main thing I felt was the higher action/ key heights on the Barone slowed me down a little (I am definitely not a burner anyway). I know I am more comfortable on the Cannonball, as I have played it for years, but I think playing with the higher key heights for the last 5 weeks was like working out...I feel like I can play faster and more smooth lines on the Cannonball now.

As for the sound: I will wait until I get the Barone fully set up to make a final analysis, but for now, they are both very big sounding and spread horns...They definitely both fill the room easily. The Cannonball is very versatile, and I can play any style/ sound that I want. The Barone tends to be big and raucous and want to stay that way. I have tamed it a little, but I think the Cannonball and the Barone will both get a lot of use depending on the situation.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Stormott, Thank You!

Did you more or less warm up on the Barone? I imagine that might be the case? You definitely were a little more relaxed playing in the second video. (maybe the crud in your lungs loosened up a little lol we've all been there)

One thing I would take away from this particular comparison is we all gravitate to certain horns. And as you wrote, sometimes we're used to the old standard we've been playing for a while. Just as the benfits of learning something initially difficult becomes easier and we begin to see the advantages as we improve our skills, it may be that way with our latest acquisition. On the other hand, sometimes the smallest details seem to get in the way from one model versus another. And this does NOT imply anything wrong with one instrument or another! We just favor what we favor.

Based solely on the vidoes these two horns sound Conn-like to me. That nice spread and full sound. The vids obviously don't do them justice but hey, I couldn't produce a better video myself so there you have it haha.

If you were to play your Barone for the next couple weeks exclusively, I would be interested in knowing your own views. And again, personal preference is just that. A very individual choice.

Let me ask one more question if I may. When you went from your previous main horn to the Cannonball, do you feel you had to work up to where you are (comfortwise etc) or did it feel sorta natural? I've personally felt there's always been a little getting used to X,Y, or Z with something new.

Thanks again for this effort in your less than stellar conditon!

Harv

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,878 Posts
Ericdano, perhaps a bit more tact would not hurt vs. someone who took the time to post some videos which have been loudly requested for a while by many...
I was just about to say exactly the same! Some people just don't have manners ... to say the least.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,878 Posts
I personally much preferred the Barone, it's got much more harmonics and a certain warmth in the sound that the Cannonball lacks.

·
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Cannonball was my first Tenor so I didn't have to readjust to a new horn. I just had to adjust period. I think some of what you guys are hearing as far as comfort on one horn verses the other is the stuff I play on the Cannonball is easier stuff for me. Some of the things I tried to play on the Barone are much harder for me to play. The horns are worlds apart as far as tone goes. The Barone is a lot more focused and it has a thick core. The Cannonball is big and spread with an edge to the sound. The thick core of the Barone tends to keep the sound more uniform up and down the range and it makes it fatter sounding to me. I have an hour long mp3 of a gig I did on the Barone with a funk band. It was recorded using a tascam recorder with a little stereo mic. If I can figure out how to pull fragments out of the recording I will post some of those.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I liked the Barone sound better, too, though I also have to concede that it seemed like you played more comfortably and fluidly on your old Cannonball.

This is what makes these my-new-horn vs my-old-horn comparison clips so tricky....

I wish I could play altissimo like that, but I can't, so I don't go there....

Thanks for taking the time! Yes, the sound quality wasn't studio quality, but it was good enough to reveal tone differences.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts