Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm talking tenor here btw :)

I have read that both are reminiscent of Mark VI, did anybody played both and could comment and their similarities/difference (and preferences).

Tried a Barone Vintage and liked it and after trying my teacher's VI a friend suggested to check a Barone Classic, problem is there are none around here :( There is however a Cannonball Vintage I'll be able to try shortly.

So far only tried the Cannonball Big Bell Stone Series and altough I liked the ergos I much preferred the tone of the Barone Vintage.

Thanks you for any inputs and opinions :)

·
Registered
118 Posts
i have a CB vintage lady godiva that i bought for the same reason that you are considering. i too played the other CB models and totally preferred the vintage. btw, i'm close to deciding to concentrate on flute and soprano, and might be willing to sell my cannonball. email me at [email protected] if interested. mine is #97 of the 400 limited edition. cheers, richard

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your offer but I'd prefer to buy a horn I can actually try first hand. I went to try a Cannonball Vintage today and had mixed feeling about it.

I would really appreciate if anybody who tried both the Barone Classic and the Cannonball Vintage could share their experience. The Vintage Pro I tried today was NOTHING like my teacher's mark VI. His mark VI was MUCH easier to blow, much less resistant yet the core was richer. I liked the tone of the Cannonball Vintage but I had to work hard to blow it and I wasn't wowed by it, I liked it.

On the other hand when I tried the Barone Vintage I was definitively impressed by the tone hence the curiosity regarding the Barone Classic.

I understand that with more effort and time invested with the Vintage Pro it could be an awesome instrument. I wouldn't mind starting closer to the experience of playing my teacher's VI without having to mortgage the house :p

Jeff

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Keep in mind that some store stock horns may not be set up or could have a small leak that will severely impair how well or easily a horn "speaks" given a mezzo forte amount of air-stream pressure.

If you're insistent on trying before you buy (which is wise), then in a sense your whole question is rather moot. Just buy the instrument that sounds the best to your own ear, with keywork that your fingers find to be fluid.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,491 Posts
They are both great horns and when I owned my Barone Classic in Silver and brought home to compare a Cannonball Godiva Unlacquered they were very different in ergos and sound. The PB classic is a nice round somewhat spread tone horn but the left pinky cluster was set up too low for me. The Cannonball was real solid horn and for my average size hands had the perfect ergos and I could play low Bb cluster easily without having to twist that hand around. The Cannonball tone was also spread but lacked the core the Barone had but it still sounded darn good and could be pushed alot louder than the Barone.

I found something else obviously because I found the best of both the horns in one brand but whatever way you go my advice is to buy slightly used.

B

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you're insistent on trying before you buy (which is wise), then in a sense your whole question is rather moot. Just buy the instrument that sounds the best to your own ear, with keywork that your fingers find to be fluid.
If I had access to Barone Classic or, better yet, if I had accesd to a Classic side by side to the Barone Vintage, the Cannonball Vintage and my teacher's mark VI I would only trust my ears and hands :)

Not having access at all to a Classic I am trying to assert whether a CB Vintage (or a Barone Classic if they are similar) would please me along the line of my teacher's vi or if I should simply get the Barone Vintage that I tried and liked. I know it is kind of convoluted but I guess it's me :D

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Cannonball tone was also spread but lacked the core the Barone had but it still sounded darn good and could be pushed alot louder than the Barone.
B
Thank you! That is exactly the kind of experience I was looking for. Were they comparable resistance-wise?

Thank you!

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,491 Posts
I can only speak from personal experience but I would say the Cannonball had slightly more resistance than the Barone which I found to be very free blowing and responded quicker than the CB especially in the lower register.

Both horns will benefit from a good quality mouthpiece.

B

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,580 Posts
Keep in mind that some store stock horns may not be set up or could have a small leak that will severely impair how well or easily a horn "speaks" given a mezzo forte amount of air-stream pressure.

See above bolded section. At a Sam Ash last year I tried every horn they had on the wall. They had a nice Yamaha 82z that was leaking so badly that I couldn't get anything below a low D to speak. There were 3-4 other $2k+ horns in the same condition. Makes "trying before you buy" pretty useless if the horns aren't in playing condition.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Happy ending!

Turns out I should not trust tag attach to instrument either :p The Barone I had tried was not the Vintage like I though but a Classic, a wrong tag mislead me!

So for those interested, I found the ergos quite similar but I give an edge in key placement and smoothness to the Cannonball. The Barone is slightly more free blowing and, to my ears, has a richer tone a bit more spread than the Cannonball and with a stronger core.

I ended up buying the Barone Classic :)

Thank you to those that helped.

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
Happy ending!

Turns out I should not trust tag attach to instrument either :p The Barone I had tried was not the Vintage like I though but a Classic, a wrong tag mislead me!

So for those interested, I found the ergos quite similar but I give an edge in key placement and smoothness to the Cannonball. The Barone is slightly more free blowing and, to my ears, has a richer tone a bit more spread than the Cannonball and with a stronger core.

I ended up buying the Barone Classic :)

Thank you to those that helped.
Great choice. Did you buy it from my dealer there in Montreal? Phil

1 - 14 of 14 Posts