Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Banned
3,043 Posts
There some handy pics on the Barone Website of a Tenor. Phil do you have a silver plate in stock that you could snap some photos of ?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,933 Posts

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
It's a NEED. Just claim that you'll get a few gigs with it!

·
32,933 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the link G. That is a pretty instrument.

Regarding the ribbing about getting a gig, yeah I get it. Finish on the gizmo I'm blowing through is not much in the grand scheme of things. But, remember one of the things we are is entertainers. Visual flash is part of that. A big shiny metal object will generate interest in the eyes of average unsophisticated Joe. Grab them by the eyes, and then by the ears.

·
32,933 Posts
What about the drive to get the experienced looking horns? I'm confused.

I like shiny horns too but I think my wife would see through the "I need it to get a gig" line. That's the problem with marrying a smart woman.

·
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh, I still have my beloved bare-brass Barone tenor. It is becoming more experienced all the time ;-)

·
Banned
3,043 Posts
Sasquatch - The BLING factor definately plays a role with the audience. Its a valid reason to consider when deciding on a finish.

·
Banned
3,043 Posts
Hey Evan1, I thought you guys were telling me not to land of a finish for anyone else's pleasure,... just mine! That was one reason I didn't get a Honey Gold Lacquer finish like my Vintage Alto. I got the Honey Gold because everyone was telling me to leave the Bling thing alone and the Gold Lacquer would blend in well with other horns in band and ensembles. Admittedly, I was fixated on the black nickel which now I'm so glad I didn't dress the Alto in. At first I didn't know how to navigate not wanting to look everyone else, while at the same time not looking like I got bit by the Bling monster. So this time around, I chose Silver Plate. I think I'll be good with Silver Plate, and Sasquatch,... if you landed on Silver Plate, I think you will too!Jr.
Hi Jnr - Gee - I may have said that too you. Sorry if I mislead you ?? Whatever I say, and you know this to be true, you make a choice that suits you. You know I bought the black nickel because the finish looks incredible on Sorpano, but it certainly draws many comments as well. I guess thats a bonus.

·
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Black nickel is really pretty. If it didn't take me so long to save up for these things, I'd have one in each finish. I went with silver plate for two reasons, the pics of the tenors in silver plate are stunning. I imagine the bari will be like that, only more. Secondly, my band is called "Platinum Express", so in a cheesy cliche fashion the silver plate kind of goes along with that theme.

·
32,933 Posts
Dr. G is harder to figure out. Sometimes he shoots me A-1 stuff and leads me straight, then sometimes he's making fun of me and saying I'd be better off spending my time squeezing my acne pimples (I don't do have acne). Tuff act to understand.
Please don't misquote me - I never said that. Tough act to understand? Talk to me.

If you need further help "understanding" anything I've said, please PM me rather than make false claims.

·
Banned
3,043 Posts
Black nickel is really pretty. If it didn't take me so long to save up for these things, I'd have one in each finish. I went with silver plate for two reasons, the pics of the tenors in silver plate are stunning. I imagine the bari will be like that, only more. Secondly, my band is called "Platinum Express", so in a cheesy cliche fashion the silver plate kind of goes along with that theme.
Sasquatch I get the platinum thing, and I bet the audience will as well. I cant wait to see some photos of that thang.

·
Banned
3,043 Posts
Mislead?,.... Are you kidding? Do you have any clue as to how many mistakes me and Dad have escape because of advice I've gotten outta here? No? Well here's a clue to that clue,... think tonage! All I was saying was that I was looking at horns like my classmates in middle school before some of you guys got holda me,... red, purple, blue, multi-colored key cups, etc. After a year of cruzzing these halls,... yep one year, got the Barone Vintage Alto last November, I now know how silly I would have looked. No evan1, I value a lot of the stuff you and few others have said to me. Dr. G is harder to figure out. Sometimes he shoots me A-1 stuff and leads me straight, then sometimes he's making fun of me and saying I'd be better off spending my time squeezing my acne pimples (I don't do have acne). Tuff act to understand. Oh,... and I wasn't saying anything left about black nickel. I love black nickel still do. And at the time Mr. Barone had a black nickel Vintage with matching black nickel key cups, which I preferred over the gold key cups. But I went with the Honey Gold, and very much happy with that. To be honest, my dream horn is a Barone Vintage Tenor dressed like a Cannonball Hot Spur,... black nickel body, silver neck, bow, bell and key cups. Fact is, I don't think there's a Barone finish I don't like, cept maybe the copper finish. A lotta people saying it brings to mind the color pink. And I'da been all over bare brass if Mr. Barone woulda let me. Please evan1,.... don't stop throwing advice at me.

You what JNR, back in the day, when i was your age, the basic finish was Gold Lacquer. That was IT. We are spoilt for choice these days. I still say for me, on tenor that Satin Lacquer is INCREDIBLE !

Enjoy what you have, save your pennies, and spoil yourself in the future. BTW - I just received my GOLD PLATED PB Classic Soprano. WOW. I have to do a post about it with Pictures. The new Soprano Cases are slightly different than the old ones as in BETTER and Ill tell you why in my post !

·
Banned
3,043 Posts
OK. Jnr and Dr G. There seems to be some conflict here which is ok. There is nothing wrong with it. If I may, id like to suggest that perhaps you could take this offline (does that make sense) and have a conversation to clarify where you both stand so you have some parameters for communication in the forums moving forward. A not soo good outcome could be to not resolve this and have an absence of framework moving forward. Be well.

·
Banned
492 Posts
Ok Mr. Evan!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts