Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I am an occasional Bari player - between beginner and intermediate. When I play it with my Berg Larsen mouthpiece, everything is fine. I can't remember the exact model but quite open and very high baffle (the Kupka sound - well at least that's what I hope to sound like!). I have recently taken up Bari for my local Big Band, and play another mellower mouthpiece. I can't seem to find the right reed for it. The sound wobbles a lot. It's a Runyon metal 6 (less open than the Larsen), and if I play harder reeds, I can't get the low notes out.
Any idea of what I could do?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,432 Posts
Just on the outside chance I will ask.

Are you playing reeds broke in on the Berg or are you breaking in new reeds for the piece?

Reeds can do some crazy things going between different mouthpieces.

If the tip is a different size it gets worse. If the facing is also a different length (it probably is) then things get twice as crazy.

Just checkin...otherwise, cant say without looking at the piece.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,136 Posts
It is possible that there is something wrong with that particular piece.

Try different mouthpieces. SOTW member Vries1 is a Dutchman whom lives in Montpellier and plays baritone, maybe you can meet him and try his mouthpieces and have him try your baritone.

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/member.php?22220-vries1

·
8,464 Posts
I tend to think it’s an unfamiliarity with the horn in question.
But that’s just me.
Many think of Baritone as a second third or fourth horn.
And give it little if any time to work with.
If that is the frame of mind, there is no fix.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your returns. Sigmund451, I used a reed that had been used on the other mouthpiece. Part of the problem was solved when going for a new one. But as B Flat says it, I probably do not spend enough time on the bari, which is going to change since I have become the new official Baritone player in my big band ;-) And - best thing - they all prefer the Larsen sound to the Runyon. Suits me just fine!

·
Registered
739 Posts
@michelnz should you be in the neighborhood of Montpellier one day, I am certainly open to let you try my baritone gear (mouthpieces, horns). Don’t hesitate to drop me a PM.

·
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
8,090 Posts
Sounds like leaks to me. Have the thing checked out.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
That's the effect you get when you don't put the MPC far enough in your mouth. The Berg (for example 110) are much more forgiving. And then there is just the issue of potentially a bad mouthpiece.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts