Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a band director and in the scores there is music for both Baritone Treble Clef and Baritone Bass Clef.

Are these two different instruments, or are they the same music for the same instrument, just transposed for the two clefs because some people learn the baritone horn reading bass clef and some treble clef?

·
Registered
392 Posts
Are you kidding me?
Have you looked at the music? If you did you would be able to answer your own question. What school did you get your degree from?

·
SOTW Administrator
26,216 Posts
Many times in public school bands, the director will need a baritone player. Since many bands have many trumpets, a band director might just ask a trumpet player to switch to baritone. It's an easier switch to read baritone parts in treble clef, and so a treble clef part is included.

'Real' baritone players play bass clef.

This really should have been covered in brass methods class.

·
4,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I appreciate the information from people who gave me a good answer.

I don't appreciate people who feel it necessary to give smart-aleck responses. For all of the knowledge out there, some of it doesn't reach everybody, including things that may be painfully obvious to others.

When you don't know something, you ask someone who does. That's one of the purposes of this forum--to share knowledge. If you can't do that gracefully and constructively, then don't waste your and everybody's time giving an answer that doesn't help anything.

·
Registered
269 Posts
divisi - Well, there is, kind of. When the trombone in our big band is absent I (the unfortunate bari player) have to play the 'bone part, which is in bass clef.
This means playing it as if it were a treble clef, adding 3 half tones to the key signature, and raising all F, C and G accidentals by a half tone. Then I go home and have a stiff drink. Tough going for a novice player. But possible.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,216 Posts
asaxman said:
This IS SAX on the web!

The OP posted in the correct section, that is, 'brasswinds'. There is likewise a clarinet section. Would you guys expect a sax question there?

I've certainly seen some pretty silly questions about saxes on this forum.

Jaysne, your question is definitely in order, and definitely keep asking them. My crack about brass methods was critical of your music ed profs, not you personally.

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist/Official SOTW Guru
3,764 Posts
What do they put in the water at those big music colleges???

Or is there a class called "Now you've got you degree....how to be a pretentious ***hole 101." ???

There's no need to insult the guy for asking an honest quetion. No one knows it all, (except teenage kids and music school graduates).

Why not just help the guy out without the added extras???

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Sorry, I didn't notice the brasswinds. Still, any band director should surely know that baritone horn parts are written in both clefs. I knew this in the 7th grade band!

·
3,764 Posts
In 7th grade, I knew "Mary had a little lamb." :D ;)

And I had a crush on one of my teachers. Didn't come to anything. Turned out she was having an affair with the School Captain, so as a year 7 kid, I never stood a chance. Don't know what happened to the school Captain, but she went on to have a long and largely undistinguished career in Federal politics.

Ahhhh Cheryl, if only. :D

Actully, she was an alright looker back in the 7th grade. Kinda went downhill from there.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
1,370 Posts
DP

Are you confusing this with the randomness thread? Or should we be worried about you?

·
3,764 Posts
Mark5047 said:
DP

Are you confusing this with the randomness thread? Or should we be worried about you?
No need to worry. Just reminiscing about the old school days. The Aussies here will know what I'm referring to.

Our school captain was a legend. One of the few people to actually do to a politician, what politicians usually do to us.

·
4,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hakukani said:
Jaysne, your question is definitely in order, and definitely keep asking them. My crack about brass methods was critical of your music ed profs, not you personally.
Thanks.

Our section concerning non-trombone lower brass happened during a one-hour lecture given by one of the school's euphonium players.

As I mentioned before, it's quite impossible to cover everything there is to know about a certain instrument. And heck, it may even be that she talked about treble/bass clef, and I just didn't remember. I doubt anybody here remembers everything they were taught in school!

·
4,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
asaxman said:
Sorry, I didn't notice the brasswinds. Still, any band director should surely know that baritone horn parts are written in both clefs. I knew this in the 7th grade band!
I KNOW that baritone parts are written in both clefs. That wasn't my question.

And so what if I didn't know? That's why people come here, to get information that they don't know. It's quite rude to suggest that people are faulty in some way because they ask questions you know the answer to. If you know the answer, why not just provide it politely?

·
4,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Dog Pants said:
What do they put in the water at those big music colleges???

Or is there a class called "Now you've got you degree....how to be a pretentious ***hole 101." ???

There's no need to insult the guy for asking an honest quetion. No one knows it all, (except teenage kids and music school graduates).

Why not just help the guy out without the added extras???
Thank you, Dog Pants--my sentiments exactly. I'm continually amazed by the amount of rudeness on this forum. People who ask simple, honest questions are barraged with insults by folks who should know better. Why do people give insulting replies? So they can show everyone how smart they are and how dumb everyone else is? Give me a break.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,216 Posts
Look, I gave you the answer to your question. I'm sorry that your brass methods class was inadequate. Time to get on with life, and maybe grow a thicker skin---you'll need it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts