Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to put a new thumb hook on my yanagisawa bari. Have been looking at the music medic hooks, but wondering if anyone has tried anything else?

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,817 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,933 Posts
Amen to the Forza. I now have three of them.

And yes, I have tried several of the alternatives. The Forza is unique and works. It’s tilt adjustment dials in a dimension not covered by the others.

P.S. They are carried by Matthews Muziek in Netherlands. Buy a BAM case while you’re at it. :bluewink:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,129 Posts
I would recommend the Music Medic (same as the ones sold by SaxGourmet). That's what is on my bari and it makes a huge difference. I own a Forza too.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Why do you want to change the thumbhook on your Yanagisawa baritone? If I recall they have big wide plastic hooks that ought to be pretty darn comfortable for anyone.

You may need, instead, to adjust your neck strap and horn alignment so you don't have to put any force on the thumbhook.

Soprano, yes, the thumbhook can be an issue. But for alto-tenor-baritone-bass, the weight of the horn should be 100% taken in the strap or stand and the thumbhook only used for a small amount of positioning side to side, and for your right hand to find a repeatable reference position.

·
3,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That seems to be the front runner right now, not sure I can afford $400 for a Kooiman. Thankyou for your input
I would recommend the Music Medic (same as the ones sold by SaxGourmet). That's what is on my bari and it makes a huge difference. I own a Forza too.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
I spent a lot of time (and money) changing the thumb hooks on instruments. I got fed up with it because I could never find one that suited.

One day I decided to put some Sugru under the hook and, supporting the sax on its bottom bow on a table, I pressed my right thumb lightly against it in playing position, moving the thumb around a little, till it felt comfortable. Then I left the instrument on its stand overnight for the Sugru to set.

It worked. A hell of a lot cheaper than a Kooiman Forza.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,933 Posts
That seems to be the front runner right now, not sure I can afford $400 for a Kooiman. Thankyou for your input
Have you checked Matthews? They were much less expensive than that when I purchased mine.

·
38,817 Posts

·
7,904 Posts
Generally speaking it is far more economical for us to import from almost anywhere than it is to buy locally.
Duties, taxes and shipping included, we get shafted less with overseas purchases it seems.
Apart from the huge mark up in shipping costs when buying privately from the US.

·
38,817 Posts
makes you wonder how, in this day and age, shops in AU can still sell since even in the most inaccessible places you have at least some internet access

·
3,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Generally speaking it is far more economical for us to import from almost anywhere than it is to buy locally.
Duties, taxes and shipping included, we get shafted less with overseas purchases it seems.
Apart from the huge mark up in shipping costs when buying privately from the US.
It may change somewhat after 1 July when GST kicks in on all overseas purchases regardless of price......
I've been storing up on shoes so I can get in before the change...
That said, some local business' change an enormous mark-up. My bought a new bassoon for my wife a few years back- the local price was over $1000. I got it from Howarth for $450.....
My flute lists at $13,500 locally. I can get one in Japan for $5500- which is where it was purchased.

·
3,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Have you checked Matthews? They were much less expensive than that when I purchased mine.
Just looked- they are certainly much better cheaper, still may be beyond budget. gotta think about it.
thanks for the tip though, I hadn't seen their site before

·
7,904 Posts
Many local stores are struggling.
One of my family members owns and operates a music store.
Although they sell predominately guitars and amplifiers etc.
They are seriously considering throwing in the towel as they are struggling to compete with online sales.
The govt is planning I believe to counter this by taxing overseas imports heavily, but this will only serve to penalise consumers as local prices certainly will not get any lower.

·
38,817 Posts
Well, the NL and DE are among the highest taxed countries in the world (for small earners and shops, large companies hardly pay any taxes but that is a different and political matter ) and yet small or enormous shops like Matthews or Bax or Thomann manage to consistently buy and sell at lower prices than almost anywhere.

How do they do that? There is nothing that makes them any special to be able to buy and sell at half of the AU price.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/ton_kooiman_daumenhalter_forza_saxophone.htm

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
The EC has a big population, which allows for a big turnover, and therefore smaller profit margins are feasible.

·
38,817 Posts
Sure but a shop is a shop is a shop and I know for sure that more than 50% of Matthews sales are NOT local and in fact aren’t even in Europe,

In principle any shop can do what they do (if they want to) from anywhere in the world buying at the same or near same prices.

He takes a small margin and advertises a lot (has been doing this for years ) on ebay where the majority of the on line sales come from

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
What is it that you don't like about the Yani hook? I've tried swapping mine out for the Music Medic and while it's a nice piece of kit for the price it didn't do anything for me. The issue for me is that the lower part of my thumb when it's on the rest during playing sits on the top of the screw that holds the thumb rest on. Sometimes this bothers me and sometimes not but the Music Medic rest didn't help this. The thumb rest on the Yani bari is the shortest (top to bottom) of any horn I've ever owned. I wish they would have made it a bit larger and mounted it a little lower so that screw wouldn't be in the way.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts