Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As far as I know, the Baritone Sax is identified by the loop next to the mouthpiece. However, has a Baritone Sax ever been made that does not have the loop? In other words, it has the shape of the tenor sax, but just a larger instrument?

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have seen pictures of a straight baritone saxophone, with a curved tenor-type neck. Check out the photo gallery on Jay Easton's (www.jayeaston.com) site -- he specializes in repertoire for larger saxophones. It looks highly impractical and resembles an Alpine Horn. However, I wouldn't pass up an opportunity to try it.......

·
Registered
475 Posts
I have actually played Jay's straight bari - well, it was his, but he has since sold it. Anyway, talk about a wierd experience! There is often talk about straight vs curved sops and the sound being away from you, or in your face. And similar discussion regarding straight altos vs curved altos. On this straight bari, the sound definitely was "away" - and it was really strange.

But to answer the original question, a tenor type neck wouldn't work because it would put the body of the horn too far away from your body. You'd have to have really, really long arms to try to reach the horn. Jay's (former) straight bari did have a different neck arrangement - not the "pigtail" as regular bari's have, but it does have a few bends in it, similar to a bass sax I guess. And obviously, you can only play it standing up, or perhaps sitting on a tall stool...

·
Registered
93 Posts
Al, do you remember which manufacturer came up with that thing? I can't imagine it was anything but an experimental prototype. The case had to be some kind of awkward to maneuver, too, but in Jay's situation, it probably was just another day at the office. I'd hate to load up that contrabass unless I could retrofit the case with a motor and steering wheel.............

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
As should come as no surprise to anyone here, it was Buescher in 1931, but as you'd guess there was only one.

http://www.saxpics.com/?v=misc&miscID=5

Jay's bari was custom made by Peter Nixon and bills itself as "one of two". That said, I do think there were more of them, but I can only attest to the two I know of.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
2,461 Posts
ha they both still have the pig tail at the top. So to answer the op... no! no tenor like baries sans the top pig tail.

·
8,588 Posts
So it would seem.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,812 Posts
even the Buescher has a curl, unless one is a Giant nobody would ever be able to play a completely straight baritone

Buescher produced a range of straight instruments , not that they ever became popular, but it was not just a prototype.

Maybe if you build it as an Alpenhorn you could :) have one completely straight

·
8,588 Posts
Add some keys to it, and Saxtek would probably own one. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts