Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night at community band a baritone sax player really stood out and made everything sound better. This was the first time I have heard one played that well and the first time for hearing how important the bottom really is.

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
Yeah, generally the bari player is the one who tried out for alto or tenor and didn't get one of those seats. Always nice to hear someone dedicated to this horn.
That happens a lot in school bands (it's a really bad policy) but I haven't seen it so much in adult community bands.

I've never been a big concert band guy, always more jazz and pop. I started in the high school jazz band on tenor and within a couple months I had borrowed the school's baritone and was taking rides on it in preference to my tenor. I've considered baritone my primary horn since 1984.

The baritone sax is definitely its own thing and in my opinion deserves as much baritone-specific attention as alto or tenor.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,401 Posts
Unfortunately baritone seems to be the collection point for many players who for whatever reasons want to avoid the limelight, so its always great to hear somebody who actually loves the horn and has a lot of talent. Baritone is a state of mind. I took to it right away in school after being uninterested in the stick. One thing I really liked was doing the bass lines with the Sousaphones and other low brass, so I developed a really good ear for the tonic of a chord. I went on to be a tenor man but always had a soft spot for bari. I finally got a modern one in 2015 and have worked it in to my routines with all the groups I appear with. Its a ton of trouble hauling it in and out and having it in some cramped situations but its worth the trouble. It just thickens the sound of any group or horn section so much plus its a different solo voice to use.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
2,107 Posts
Last night at community band a baritone sax player really stood out and made everything sound better. This was the first time I have heard one played that well and the first time for hearing how important the bottom really is.
Just in case you didn’t (you probably did) be sure to tell them as much to their face. Low voices rarely get the love.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I "grew up" in the clarinet family, and I have to say, with good teachers, students suitable for lower instruments are "groomed" from the start. I was always very big and loud, never tried for 1st chair Bb, but every teacher and director from the start kept pushing me towards the lower pitched instrument just because of my size. I ended up on contrabass, of course. ;)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,955 Posts
I "grew up" in the clarinet family, and I have to say, with good teachers, students suitable for lower instruments are "groomed" from the start. I was always very big and loud, never tried for 1st chair Bb, but every teacher and director from the start kept pushing me towards the lower pitched instrument just because of my size. I ended up on contrabass, of course. ;)
Pssst....I've got some Baritones I could sell you for cheap....

·
Registered
184 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hmm.. had a terrible alto to learn on in grade school. And poor embouchure. And no money for lessons. The school baritone kept me playing. Would like to have one now just to screw around with. What's not to like about Gerry Mulligan?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts