Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there earthlings.
Hope the title is not too confusing.
I need to clarify that I'm mainly a tenor player, however, I have got myself a nice bari sax as a Christmas present (How generous of me)
Now my new Bari is a Yanagisawa horn and comes with a standard #5 mouthpiece.
I'm having problems trying to find info about that MP in general, I believe is around a 0.95 tip opening but it is hard to tell.
Now, I play tenor with a 0.110 - 0.115 mouthpieces and I found the bari piece a bit smaller for me.
Too all you talented cats that double in bari and tenor, how your mouthpieces relate between horns?
Similar tip opening or way different?
Any info will be appreciated

Oscar

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
I use a .105-.110 on tenor with 2 1/2 Vandoren Javas or Rigottis and generally .120 on bari with 3S or 3M Rico RJS but it depends upon the type of piece as well as what kind of sound you want. I know I could play a .130 on bari because I've tried a few pieces in larger tips but they're either a big blow if they don't have much baffle or they get very buzzy for me. I'd suspect you can manage a .115 -.120 bari piece without much trouble though it will take a bit more air than your .110-.115 tenor pieces. The best thing to do is get a few reeds in different strengths and go try some pieces. My favorite pieces on my Yani bari are a Jody Jazz DV .120 for funk/rock gigs and either an RPC .110 or Link STM 7* for jazz combo stuff.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,408 Posts
Depends a lot on the type of music you will be playing on baritone. If you are playing in a section such as big band /dance band etc. stick with the stock #5 these are excellent pieces as is most Yanagisawa stuff. If you are playing rock or what I call 'In your face' stuff then something more aggressive maybe a Berg Larsen type piece.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,943 Posts
Hi there earthlings.
Hope the title is not too confusing.
I need to clarify that I'm mainly a tenor player, however, I have got myself a nice bari sax as a Christmas present (How generous of me)
Now my new Bari is a Yanagisawa horn and comes with a standard #5 mouthpiece.
I'm having problems trying to find info about that MP in general, I believe is around a 0.95 tip opening but it is hard to tell.
Now, I play tenor with a 0.110 - 0.115 mouthpieces and I found the bari piece a bit smaller for me.
Too all you talented cats that double in bari and tenor, how your mouthpieces relate between horns?
Similar tip opening or way different?
Any info will be appreciated

Oscar
Way different for me. 9* on tenor and 7 on baritone. Mind you the tip openings by themself can often not be comparable especially between different brands/models (taking into account different size between tenor and baritone of course).

Tip size can be irrelevant unless you also put the facing curve length into the equation, but there is obviously often some correlation. For me the difference may be due to needing a more versatile approach to pitch and dynamics on tenor.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advise guys. Much appreciated.
I want the Bari for more funk (I said fuNk) stuff. So I want a more "on your face" sound.
I may give Ron from RPC a call, metal mouthpieces are not for me. I'm still getting used to the air support and embouchure for now.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
7,904 Posts
Air support is key with Baritone.
I use a similar tip on Bari compared to Tenor.
My tenor pieces are around 120-130 with large chambers and Low baffles.
On Baritone I like around 110-130 also with large chambers and low baffles.
My Baritone pieces with moderate baffles are of a similar opening.

·
1,243 Posts
Tip opening 8 on tenor and 6 on baritone. #3 reeds on both.

·
Registered
8,033 Posts
I play a Link 6 on tenor and an old Selmer C* on baritone.
I guess my concept and ability to play in tune makes me prefer small tips on baritone. Well, actually, smaller tips on everything.

·
Registered
564 Posts
A Yanagisawa #5 bari piece is a .087” tip.

I play the same openings on bari and tenor, Brancher E27 on bari and J27 on tenor, or a Link STM 6* on bari and 7* on tenor.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A Yanagisawa #5 bari piece is a .087” tip.

I play the same openings on bari and tenor, Brancher E27 on bari and J27 on tenor, or a Link STM 6* on bari and 7* on tenor.
Thanks for that.
.87 is small, no wonder I felt it was closing up on me when pushed.
On an unrelated question, how good are Brancher mouthpieces?
I've seen them around but never tried one.
Am I hijacking my own post?

·
Registered
564 Posts
Thanks for that.
.87 is small, no wonder I felt it was closing up on me when pushed.
On an unrelated question, how good are Brancher mouthpieces?
I've seen them around but never tried one.
Am I hijacking my own post?
I think the Brancher pieces are outstanding. I have seven. Very well finished and consistent. There’s a few threads here on them.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,946 Posts
Air support is key with Baritone.
I use a similar tip on Bari compared to Tenor.
My tenor pieces are around 120-130 with large chambers and Low baffles.
On Baritone I like around 110-130 also with large chambers and low baffles.
My Baritone pieces with moderate baffles are of a similar opening.
Air support is key - regardless of horn size. If you can’t get a good sound going on bari, chances are you have a weak sound on tenor as well.

FWIW, I play .105-.110 on tenor, and the same on bari.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Since you're playing fairly open tenor mouthpieces, you probably want something of similar opening for baritone. You don't specify what you use on tenor, but for a hard rubber baritone MP with some bite I would look at a Link HR, or Berg HR. Honestly, if you can return the Yani MP that came with the horn and get a Yani HR MP in something more open, that might well fill the bill.

Although you want to play more funk/rock style, I would caution you against assuming you need a buzzy duck quack type super high baffle MP to start out with. Even coming from tenor, the first thing you need to do is to build an honest baritone size air stream. When you learn how to really fill the thing up with air, you'll project better with a MP of moderate design than using a super high baffle grass cutter and a wimpy little tenor sized air flow.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
I play a .120 on tenor, and a .110 (RPC) on bari.

Give Ron a call. He'll make you a thing of beauty just for you. Plus, you can use a HR tenor ligature on it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Since you're playing fairly open tenor mouthpieces, you probably want something of similar opening for baritone. You don't specify what you use on tenor, but for a hard rubber baritone MP with some bite I would look at a Link HR, or Berg HR. Honestly, if you can return the Yani MP that came with the horn and get a Yani HR MP in something more open, that might well fill the bill.

Although you want to play more funk/rock style, I would caution you against assuming you need a buzzy duck quack type super high baffle MP to start out with. Even coming from tenor, the first thing you need to do is to build an honest baritone size air stream. When you learn how to really fill the thing up with air, you'll project better with a MP of moderate design than using a super high baffle grass cutter and a wimpy little tenor sized air flow.
:lol::lol:
"Buzzy duck quack", Love it!
I love RPC mouthpieces, I have a .110 with baffle and a .115 without and I get good sound out of both, the baffled one is mainly used when I need to shut up the trumpet player next to me.
For more melodic stuff I also have a Navarro Bebop special 7* those are my main tenor pieces.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I play a .120 on tenor, and a .110 (RPC) on bari.

Give Ron a call. He'll make you a thing of beauty just for you. Plus, you can use a HR tenor ligature on it.
I have already sent him an email, I don't want to call him at 3am. (I'm in Melbourne, Australia) Hope he responds soon, I've heard last time he was a bit unwell. Hope he is back on the horse

·
7,904 Posts
I have already sent him an email, I don't want to call him at 3am. (I'm in Melbourne, Australia) Hope he responds soon, I've heard last time he was a bit unwell. Hope he is back on the horse
That was my thought years ago when I ordered mine.
No 3am calls please.
He replied quickly and fully to my enquires.
He provided a terrific rollover piece for me that I foolishly traded a while ago.
I do miss that one.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I just bought a Vandoren V16 bari piece and switching back to bari from tenor was easy. It's slim, comfortable, and easy to blow.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts