Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if because I used Rovner ligatures on Alto and Tenor for a great deal of my playing career or if it is because I am newly coming back to Bari, but the ligature sizing on the mouthpieces is driving me crazy. Having read a bunch of thread on ligs here I am not even talking about the best response or tone, simple the sizing. I have the Cannonball MP which came with the horn (takes an alto lig, have those around). As I was digging around I found the Rousseau JDX which I played back in the day and luckily had the lig for it in working condition as well. I figured that shound be a standard size bari MP so the lig should be relatively standard.

Then I picked up and inexpensive Yamaha 5C, to give it a whirl and see where it fell in the relation to the other two. I didn't expect the alto lig to fit, but the lig which fits the Rousseau is too small. So another lig, now I am thinking I am set for anything with ligatures when it comes to HR type MP.

I got the chance to play a Vandoren V 16. It turns out this one uses a Tenor sized ligature.

I wanted to give a "classical" piece a try and know a few who really like the Vandoren BL3. There happened to be one that came available here and I picked it up. None of the ligs I have fit, they are all too small.

So here I am needing to find a ligature to be able to try this piece out. I would have simply thought ok it is a Vandoren piece, a Vandoren ligature should fit. In the back of my mind there is a little voice asking, will any Vandoren Bari ligature fit or do I need specifially the Optimum because this MP is from the Optimum line?

Have you bari players been dealing with this all through your careers and I am simply new to the frustration? Maybe some of the MP producers saw the opportunity to have some extra money spent to have to buy a lig to fit "their" MP. I just don't remember ever having had this much trouble on alto and tenor. It seemed like most ligs fit a HR mouthpiece or most ligs fit a metal mouthpiece.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,116 Posts
That's just the way it goes. My Selmer as a Selmer lig, Morgan uses an alto lig and the Yamaha seems to only use a Yamaha lig which costs as much as the mouthpiece so I have a Rovner on it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've had the same problem.... I have as many bari ligs as I have mouthpieces. Kind of a pain, but that seems to be the way it is.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have been looking on the site to answer the BL3 question. It sounds like maybe there is a Rovner that will fit. Also seems that the Vandoren Masters, Optimum and M/O should fit. The funny thing is some websites actually put on them that some of these ligs only fit vandoren mouthpieces.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Follow up for anyone who might wonder. I picked up a Vandoren Masters and it fits fine. Very happy with the Vandoren combination.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts