Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Just wondering what differences are there in both tone and playability between a late Trutone (the ones with roller G# spatula) and a big B ? This is fot a bari.

Regards
David

·
Registered
231 Posts
My Big B bari has a front f. Although I have never played a Trutone bari, none of the Trutones that I have played had that front f key.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,888 Posts
I don't know about baritones true tone but true tones type III and IV have a front f key

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
Other than the split bell on the TT and some greatly improved keywork on the BB, it's the same horn. They're even both identified as Buescher model 129's.

·
8,588 Posts
BTW, just so you know, Buescher did have a different bari available at the same time from about 1929 to ~1937. The model 139 was introduced at the same time as the "New Aristocrat" tenor and altos.

Unlike the 139, the NA's look essentially like TTs with the same split bell configuration, but had some improvements in keywork. Notably, the spatula is different, but more closely related in appearance to the TTs than the later "Aristocrats". There may be other feature differences, but I've never gotten a close enough look or played on one to tell.

The 139, however, featured l/h bell keys, an articulated G# (that mysteriously disappeared afterwards on Buescher baris until 1960), and the same spatula and other key layout features of the later Aristocrats. It also has some unique key mechanisms I haven't seen on other Buescher horns. Finally, the bore/taper/length dimensions are notably different from the TT's and 'crats', though Buescher mucked with those on tenors and didn't necessarily change the model numbers.

From what I can tell, this appears to be the mother of all subsequent 'crats' and also has features such as nickle silver rods that were only found later on the 400s.

It's a pretty rare horn and far superior to the TTs and subsequent 'crat' and 400 baris. Production appears to have stopped well in advance of WWII. Probably cost too much to make for what schools were willing to pay for it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi all,
Thanks for the input. How is it the classical guys prefer to use the big B bari instead of the split bell keys aristocrat or a late TT? Is it for the tone or just better keyworks? Or something else?

·
8,588 Posts
As I noted, the dimensions of the horn are the same, so the tone is the same. Would you not opt for the one with better ergos if you could get precisely the same sound out of both?

Also, for me, I really don't like the look of split bell horns. Sounds silly, but that might be another factor.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,034 Posts
I have a gold plated bari that is a series III and has an aftermarket front F, really nice. It came from a pro full time bari player and has a slightly newer neck which I think is from the mid 30s. Plays really well. If I was playing bari again, I would keep it but had to take it in trade towards a flute. These things really honk and even the later ones from the 60s are nice players. Haven't tried a big B though.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I have a gold plated bari that is a series III and has an aftermarket front F, really nice. It came from a pro full time bari player and has a slightly newer neck which I think is from the mid 30s. Plays really well. If I was playing bari again, I would keep it but had to take it in trade towards a flute. These things really honk and even the later ones from the 60s are nice players. Haven't tried a big B though.
Any idea what the neck is from? I have a silver series I and I wouldn't mind experimenting with some newer necks.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,110 Posts
Hi all,
Thanks for the input. How is it the classical guys prefer to use the big B bari instead of the split bell keys aristocrat or a late TT? Is it for the tone or just better keyworks? Or something else?
It's a very small community that's using these horns, and they tend to buy them from one another, with a heavy influence from their professors. (BTW, they're not all guys. ;) )

·
21,034 Posts
I have checked saxpics and the closest neck I can find is from a 1935 horn. The pip placement is a bit different. Whatever the neck is from, it works well and fits perfectly.

·
7,110 Posts
BTW about front Fs, the split-bell Crat got one sometime in 1935.
I have seen pix of a #268xxx bari (1934) without front F and engraved "The Buescher"!
My #272xxx bari (1935) has front F and the Crat engraving.
(It's possible NO bari was ever engraved as a New Crat.)

·
8,588 Posts
(It's possible NO bari was ever engraved as a New Crat.)
Near as I can tell, you're right, and I didn't intend to imply otherwise. Sorry for the rambling reply through the NA altos and tenors.

·
8,588 Posts
It's a very small community that's using these horns, and they tend to buy them from one another, with a heavy influence from their professors. (BTW, they're not all guys. ;) )
Probably best to note that it's a small community of classical players using these horns. There are actually quite a lot of them still out there in use for other purposes. :)

·
7,110 Posts
Heh. You think?

·
8,588 Posts
Nope. Can't think of a person that would use one for anything else...

Really! We're playing Bach concertos here...

·
Registered
711 Posts
LOL. That may be one of the most ignorant statements I've read on SOTW.

·
7,110 Posts
All I meant was that they are the only reliable market, and the only type of music the horn is strongly associated with. Of course lots of us play and love Big Bs (even TTs and trannys).

·
21,034 Posts
Attached is a link to some shots of the gold plated bari that were requested. I tried to show the worst areas which would be the wear to the plating on the bow where dents have been removed over the years. The side Bb has been repaired and is in another shot. The plating shows wear but is pretty good looking at a distance and looks much better than some of the lacquered ones. This shows the front F that was put on and works well.
Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/tags/buebari/

1 - 20 of 20 Posts