1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,831 Posts
Yep. Looks to be a very early Superba II. Is it yours? Sweet sax either way!

·
6,831 Posts
I would love to own that Bari :) And a Low A just like it :) RTH or not (Superba I or II) they're great horns! Love my Superba II Tenor (it's just barely newer than that Bari, Around '76 or so. I think that Bari may be around '65 or so? Maybe earlier.

·
6,831 Posts
It can be a new king, I'v got one a couple years ago and it was exactly the same.
Either way, it's still a Keilwerth stencil! And a good one at that!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, definitely a Keilwerth stencil. The only strange thing is that is no engraving anywhere, just the serial number above thumbrest. Anyone saw anything like this before in a Keilwerth stencil?

K.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
2,063 Posts
I have never seen an unmarked JK stencil. Maybe it was shipped out of the JK factory to the Couf engravers and never reached it's destination. Looks just like a Couf to me. Or it could have been a special order.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
It can be a new king, I'v got one a couple years ago and it was exactly the same.
Yes, looks just like my New King, but I'm not sure the serial number fits in the Keilwerth range.
Mine's a 34,xxx, from 1959.

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017
1,219 Posts
They keep the same body for very long, until they start the low A. Mine was a late model Bb. Just for clarification, you can't have couf copy, it's already a copy of the original new King or tone King Keilwerth. At this time the professional model was the Tone King wich have RTH and high F#, but you have some sample of NK that have the RTH, mine a 1965 with metal guard have it, but no F#.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'd like confirmation of another Keilwerth Stencil. Just acquired an Evette Schaeffer Master Bari (from eBay) B-flat no F#, that has led an entirely too hard a life that I'm restoring.
Diva.JPG
Took forever just to find one Reference to an Evette Schaeffer Master Alto, (No Evette numbers matched hers, 608XX) The Alto led to the Keilwerth serial numbers that are in the correct range, which would be early 1968. And this one doesn't have the usual "JK Best In The World, Made In Germany" marks that an H Couf has above the serial numbers. In fact, nothing. And then I found an Exact Match with a Couf suerba II on Saxpics; (Note the serial # is 65XXX) http://www.saxpics.com/?v=gal&a=2029 especially the crook brace. The only major difference is she has Nickel Plated Keys, [which the E.S.Master Alto also had] not lacquer.

Of course it will be a few months before I get to play this one but by all accounts I've read, and not just here, they are most likely the most Awesome Horns out there!

So, I guess the burning question NOW is; Which Club Do We Join??

1 - 11 of 11 Posts