Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 1970 low Bb Selmer bari. Need to buy a stand.

Any recommendations?

Probably my top priority is stability to protect the horn against falling over.

Next priority would be minimum destructive impact on bell. (Horn in is good condition. No dents. New silver plating. Want to keep it pretty.)

Not planning to play it directly off the stand. Plan to use a strap or harness.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Get a "saxrax" stand. They are solid as a tank but rather expensive. Do a search on this site. You´ll get plenty of hits.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
If saxrax are too pricey for you (I also had trouble finding a dealer for them in the U.S.), you can try Hercules. I'm using a Hercules stand for a low Bb Martin Bari (silver plate) and it works just fine, very stable.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
1,612 Posts
Belmonte bari stands are cheap and effective. I used one on a Low-Bb MKVI for awhile with no complaints.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,312 Posts
The saxrax looks like it's the sturdiest but might be hard to fit between music stands or fronts when in a big band format (usually packed pretty tight). I use a stand with a tripod base (I think it's a Belmonte) that will fit between my front and the 4th tenor front. It's not real stable so I put my bari in or on the sax case when I'm not on the bandstand. If space is not a consideration get the saxrax.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Old King Log
801 Posts
Or, you could take the route that I took and have one made to your specifications. Mine is virtually untippable, accommodates the baritone, a bass clarinet, flute, alto or tenor, clarinet and even a bassoon if you so desire.

The metal work is beyond the skills of most, but it's easy to draw up the plans and have it made to your specifications at any welding shop. The base is a set of three morticed 2" x 4" lumber (i used furniture finish red oak, but a straight stud can serve as well), and all of the other components bolt onto the "H" shaped bottom.

The finished item is very stable (over twenty pounds of force exerted at the top of the baritone will start to tilt it, but will not turn it over. Also, it's ideal for racking and unracking the baritone when sitting; most current baritone stands are not. It fits well between the fronts that we use, and it wear like iron. Also, it does not damage the instruments.

If you are interested, I have a full set of instructions (complete with "how to" photos) on how to have one made; drop me an email (don't just post here) and I'll send it out to you.

(The tenor, alto, and bass clarinet functions require the use of the upper components of an old stand that is no longer on the market. I've purchased some second hand and on eBay to get me all that I need, and you should be able to find them from the same sources, if you do not already have one. The bassoon stand and pegs were all obtained from other sources and modified to fit my stand.)

·
1,266 Posts
I was contemplating the saxrax and the Beechler. I got the Beechler. So far, I have had nothing to complain about this sax stand. I love it. It is compact when folded and supports the saxophone very well. My bell is pretty well scratched up from age, other stands, and just handling so I cannot say how well it would do with the finish.

I recommend this stand. I paid around $130.00 (I think. I cannot remember the exact price I paid.) for mine.

I got mine at Interstate Music in Milwaukee. It is like the Alto/Tenor stand. It comes with spaces for pegs for Clarinet and Flute. It is very stable.

Check this one out.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, & Forum Contributor 200
1,467 Posts
I have a bari sax stand that I cant give away! It served me well for a while but is now surplus and is yours for a small donation to SOTW. I can take a picture if you like. Let me know.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Champion of the C-Me
2,058 Posts
I always used to use the Jiffy stand when I played bari - been around for decades - and because the clamp is always on the bari, it does tend to minimise in/out wear on the bell... And if you do double instuments you might find the 'play it on the stand' feature grows on you.

You obviously have to 'look' when putting the bari back on the peg/stand, but then again I wouldn't advise anyone to just absent-mindedly rack up a bari.... :cry:

·
1,317 Posts
I'll second the Hercules stand.

Hard to find a store that carries them- but it holds my The Martin low Bb or my Yani low A very nicely..

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just got one from sam ash for 35$, when they're selling online for up to 50...

·
Registered
67 Posts
hgrail said:
I'll second the Hercules stand
I'll third it. Sturdy stand and pretty portable. Easy to adjust as well. You can also get them from fermatamusic.com.

http://www.fermatamusic.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=11_46&products_id=7137&<osCsid>

·
Registered
201 Posts
SaxRax is a great choice if stability is your first priority. I have no problem fitting mine when on a big band (since typically you're on one end of the section) but the big footprint and the high lift to get the horn off the stand might be a problem for pit work, as has been discussed in other threads.

I wouldn't trust my horn on anything else when there are dancers around.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks

Everyone:

Thanks for all the great feedback. Gives me a lot to think about. Been online looking at all the pictures of the recommended stands.

Thanks again,

Mark

·
Registered
336 Posts
Just in case you're tempted by one of the cheap-o stands, I got one on eBay for under $30, was supposed to work with either low A or Bb baris. Wrong. There was no way to put a Bb horn into that stand, although I could see how a low A bari would fit in nicely. I had to use a hacksaw to shorten the main part of the stand by about 2 inches, now my bari sits there very securely. Nice, solid metal construction, and the parts in contact with the horn are well padded. Seems reasonably stable, although I only use it at home, don't have to worry about dancers, musicians, drummers, or small children...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2007
467 Posts
Hercules

I had high hopes for the Hercules thing and bought the one that will hold a bari and a tenor. However, the spring mechanism that locks the in position flaked out the first couple of days so I returned it. I didn't want to take any chances, so I didn't get another one. For the money they get for the thing, it seemed a little too good to be true.

I would like to find something that will hold a bari and a tenor that is a little more portable than that SaxRax rig seems to be. Anyone got any suggestions other than the Hercules?

Scott

1 - 18 of 18 Posts