Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently left for college and am at heart a bari sax player, which sucks cause they're expensive. I have my alto and i love playing it but it's not the same as a bari. Because of this i've very recently been looking online and around for a bari sax, being a college student i'm broke so i obviously can't get a new one but i have found some nice ones on ebay that are not too expensive the problem is that NONE of them have necks. I'm not sure who is going around stealing all these bari necks but it's not cool. Today i found a jean barre artiste 1960's bari sax for a pretty good price, the problem is it has no neck. I would really like to get this sax but i don't know where i could find a neck for it or what modern necks would even go well with it. Please help!

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
A replacement neck is about $300 -- assuming you either get one from Gloger (http://www.gloger-handkraft.com/) or can find a suitable neck without a horn.

One of the reasons that the horn is cheap is that the neck is missing, rendering it useless as anything other than a floor lamp. The Jean Barre Artiste isn't one of the more common horns, so unless you just get extremely lucky, you're unlikely to find a fit. If you're going to opt for a horn without a neck, try for a Bundy, Buescher 400, or Selmer USA Signet (same horn). Seem to plenty of those necks floating around on eBay -- for $300.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. I know it would be a lot but the jean barre is under 300 right now im also looking at a buescher 400 bari with a neck i have never personally played a buescher so i'm not sure how they play.

·
8,588 Posts
Thank you. I know it would be a lot but the jean barre is under 300 right now im also looking at a buescher 400 bari with a neck i have never personally played a buescher so i'm not sure how they play.
One of my favorites, of course. They play very well. Near perfect intonation, big robust sound, nearly indestructible, which is why so many of them are still around. Generally considered an intermediate horn after about 1965 or so, but the design is largely the same as the earlier versions. Many of the later ones are low A horns, but not all. Also, parts are available if needed. As a budget bari, they're hard to beat.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Again thank you for the help it's hard to find people who know what they are talking about here is a linke to the buescher i was looking at http://cgi.ebay.com/Buescher-400-Ba...ltDomain_0&hash=item415c5a7ec6#ht_2651wt_1270 . it looks like a later model and i know it needs some repairs and everything but it also looks like the metal is very thin and the key work isn't that good of quality, but i would love your opinion on it.

·
8,588 Posts
Ok. It's a 1976 or so horn. Pretty late model as these go. The keywork was largely unchanged from 1964 on, and wasn't much different than that before the buyout, so it's actually quite user friendly once you get used to it.

It appears to be an original lacquer horn, so I'm not quite certain why you're worried about thin metal. These are tanks, built to take student abuse.

The horn appears to have a body bend from the picture, which is probably why the seller is saying the lower stack needs to be adjusted. Also, the crook has an odd twist to it, and the bang on the bow may or may not have comprimised the low C tonehole. Hard to tell that one from the pics.

Is it worth $500? Possibly, but you also might have $400 in repairs to get it playing.

Maybe Juan can chime in and give an assessment as well.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
4,507 Posts
it needs a lot of work to get to play condition. Like anywhere from ~600 to 1000. I would stay out of this one. Cheap and Baritone usually ends up in "headache". Also, avoid papajohn... he sold a hack'd together 12M for 2500 to a customer of mine, the neck wasn't original nor anywhere near a correct useable repro.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys i don't think i'm going to get the buescher from looking at it, for the repairs i would have to put into it i feel like i wouldn't love. I want a saxophone that every time i take it out of it's case i can't wait to get playing and i don't feel like that with the buescher i've found a York, problem is everything i've heard about York's is that they are stencils which isn't necessarily a bad thing but i can't tell what Bari this is all i can tell is that A)it will need some minor repairs and B)it is most likely a low Bb register not low A, other than that i can't tell much from the pictures. http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-YORK-Br...ultDomain_0&hash=item45fc3f0988#ht_500wt_1054 thats the link. Thanks so much for helping me guys i'm glad i can find people that know what they are talking about.

·
8,588 Posts
Yeah, although this one doesn't appear to be a PapaJohn horn, it does look like it's taken a pretty hard whack or two and has some expensive issues. I'd keep looking.

JCaino is completely correct about cheap = headache when it comes to baris. You need to be looking above a grand to get something reasonably playable.

Is this the Keilworth stencil you were looking at?

http://cgi.ebay.com/1960-Jean-Barre...tu=UCC&otn=15&ps=63&clkid=1976919508095775478

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
4,507 Posts
If you don't want to spend a lot on repairs and are after avoiding frustrations, I'd recommend you stay out of vintage and go with a solid modern horn like a barone, I don't think you can do better than a new barone bari (well, with patience and willing to invest in a good solid repair tech, yes, you could do better, but I feel like you're not going to buy into a $300 horn and a $1200 tech bill, you'd rather be happier and feel like no one got you at a $1500 horn that's gig ready)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, thats basically what i figured on closer inspection some keys were obviously out of adjustment among some other things. Yeah it is, it's gonna up in price a bit since i last checked. Man can't a guy just play the instrument he loves!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm hoping somewhere between 500-900 i'm trying to keep under a grand if i can possibly, it's somewhat dependent on the bari, i know it'll be somewhat expensive but with having to pay for school/living/food is always a good thing to have i don't think i could go any higher than that.

·
8,588 Posts
Useful to know that these big horns are expensive to fix -- and not everyone is willing to work on them, particularly when major dent repair is involved. If you can get one of Phil's horns for $1500, that does seem like it might be your best option. You really don't want to know what it cost me to restore a "Big B" Buescher bari that I only "paid" $700 for.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts