Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Mk VI bari and am using the Vandoren B75 mouthpiece. That mouthpiece really gives great depth and color in the lower register but is somewhat thin in the upper register. However, the biggest problem that I have is that the lay of the reed (I guess I am saying this right) on the mouthpiece allows a very long gap between the reed and the mouthpiece so that when I play, spit comes out the sides of the reed. I have tried different ligatures with only minor success. The Optimum series mouthpieces seem to have the same issue. If I were a really large person, I could probably get enough of the mouthpiece in my mouth to correct the problem. Now here is my question:

Is there a mouthpiece that someone can suggest that would sound as good as the Vandoren but not have the problems with the reed not touching the mouthpiece?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Have you (or someone with experience doing it) checked the mouthpiece to see that the table and rails are indeed, flat? Thinner rails are more picky about reed strength and condition for good sealing, but they also contribute to a more lively sound, IMHO. Wide, heavy rails will accomodate a variety of imperfections, but often have some impact on the sound. If the rails of your mouthpiece aren't flat, or have been damaged with dings/notches, it can be sanded/repaired/improved.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts