Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not a big believer that these are that useful but here goes.

1. Since bari is my main ax, and
2. since I see more mouthpieces than the average member here, and
3. since I have a new mic, and
4. since no one else is making bari sound clips available, and
5. since it might help me sell some bari mouthpieces...

I have posted a bunch of MP3s in a new section on my site call "Sound Clips". I play on most of them for a minute or so and then do a take. Most are just one take but a few are my 2nd or 3rd if I spaz out too much while noodling around. It is a real challenge to play so many different tip openings but the more you do it the easier it gets. I may post some sop, alto, tenor clips at a later date. But I'm not as pleased with my SAT recording so far...

So visit and enjoy. This may tax my server provider more than in the past so come back later if they do not load in a reasonable amount of time.

Also, click on the "..." to see a short text description.

www.mojomouthpiecework.com

·
Registered
698 Posts
I'm not a big believer that these are that useful but here goes.

So visit and enjoy. This may tax my server provider more than in the past so come back later if they do not load in a reasonable amount of time.

Also, click on the "..." to see a short text description.

www.mojomouthpiecework.com
I think this may be more popular than you expected I get 'service unavalable'!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Thanks for the post.
I like the sound of Metalite M7. What mods did you make to the baffle?

JSax

·
Registered
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also, you should not need to join up as a "member" to view/use my site (except for the forum, which is not popular anyway).

Please send me an Email if you are having problems intead of cluttering up this forum. I generally can not help much with problems unless everyone is having them. Then I can complain to someone.

·
Registered
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the post.
I like the sound of Metalite M7. What mods did you make to the baffle?
There is a picture of it in the sold section of my site. It is now more like a Dukoff D ramp/ramp design, but with an open throat.

As part of the sale I took out the blue putty and replaced it with gray epoxy putty. This was modification not a major change in the sound but it kicked up the projection another notch.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,194 Posts
Very interesting. thanks for doing this. That berg is the same exact piece i use. It sounds good, but i can't always put as much air into it as i'd like.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,423 Posts
Good stuff - what are the references after the tip openings, ie 50+1 or 54L?
What bari are you playing?

btw - I liked the SS Berg and the Metal Quantum 9 - they sounded a little warmer to me.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
13,082 Posts
I'm not a big believer that these are that useful but here goes. ...
Thanks very much for doing that, Mojo. It is useful. For me, it confirms my belief that the differences in many mouthpieces are so subtle that they are really only readily discernible by the player and by others with very well-attuned ears. That doesn't mean that the differences are unimportant. But it makes how the player experiences playing on a particular piece the deciding factor. If I like playing X piece the most, then that's the piece for me. The other thing this comparison does is show me that, if I prefer it, a $25 Metalite is every bit as good as a $250 or $350 Berg or any other mouthpiece. Thanks again.

·
2,829 Posts
They all sound good,i liked the 130/2 berg, and the runyon 88, which i felt had a bit of a mulligan sound to it!.

Out of interest mojo? is the baffle a lot different on a berg, that would have a 0 baffle, ie....when you have played bergs with a 0, is the sound noticeably brighter,or more punchier?, would they project more.
Just wandered your thougths?..

·
Registered
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good stuff - what are the references after the tip openings, ie 50+1 or 54L?
What bari are you playing?
The 50, 54L, are the facing length in mm*2. This is a common scale that refacers use.

I noted my bari and mic set-up off to the right on that web page. I play a Yamaha YBS-52 I purchased new in 1987. I have test played several 52's and 62's since then and they all sound the same to me. Best baris on the planet IMO.

·
Registered
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Out of interest mojo? is the baffle a lot different on a berg, that would have a 0 baffle, ie....when you have played bergs with a 0, is the sound noticeably brighter,or more punchier?, would they project more?
The 130/2 Berg sounds somewhat dark partly because of the wider tip opening (.126"). A 1 or 0 baffle would make it brighter and edgier. The tone gets more bassoon-like, but it "cuts" and projects more. But a 110/2 Berg would sound a little brighter than a 130/2 too.

·
Registered
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm not a big believer that these are that useful but here goes. ...
Thanks very much for doing that, Mojo. It is useful. For me, it confirms my belief that the differences in many mouthpieces are so subtle that they are really only readily discernible by the player and by others with very well-attuned ears. That doesn't mean that the differences are unimportant...
What can not be easily gleaned is how much more effort some of these set-ups required of me to get them to play what I wanted. Some of them were not fun to play because they were so far away in design and/or facing from my personal set-up.

I agree that the plastic MPs can give the vintage HR and metal mouthpieces a run for their money.

·
16,811 Posts
Good work.....thanks for putting it up for all to hear.

My preference is the Link STM 7*.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
13,082 Posts
What can not be easily gleaned is how much more effort some of these set-ups required of me to get them to play what I wanted. Some of them were not fun to play because they were so far away in design and/or facing from my personal set-up.
Yes, that's why I say that the player's experience is paramount. The Link STM New York that I tried on tenor was just not my piece -- I found it very hard to play what I wanted. But I think the person I sold it to was happy with it because it fit his conception of tone and playing style. I like playing Runyon Custom and Metalites on tenor, but if someone else likes a Berg, then so be it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Mojo, thanks for the info. I am looking into purchasing a Bari, just for fun. Of the mouthpieces in the sound files which one would you say is the easiest to play, maybe I should say most free blowing?

·
Registered
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
For me, it is my reworked metal Quantum 11 is the most free-blowing. It is tricked out the way I like it. Plus I like .105-.108" tips on bari.

I was pleasently surprised by several of the inexpensive mouthpieces I recorded that had tip openings of only .085". But even the smaller Runyon 88s worked for me with a hard enough reed on them.

The Selmer was a hard blow which some classical players like. The Link STM seemed stuffy for my tastes too.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts