Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently started a Dixieland Jazz Band with some friends, and I was going to play Bari Sax to cover the bass part, just like a bass sax. How well will this really work (Range, etc.) Any other issues?

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
29,156 Posts
Not quite as well as a bass (whether bass saxophone, string bass or bras bass). The problem is going to be that much of it will be in the same range as the trombone, but if the trombonist is happy to keep away from the low notes, it should just about work - but it will need this cooperation.

It will work best if you can get a round, warm mellow sound rather than a bright grunty sound, the mouthpiece will help - if you can get an old pickle barrel style large chambered piece it would be good (e.g. Conn Eagle). Try to think of a tuba or string bass sound.

Good luck, it might just work!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys!
I also play string and electric bass, and was origanly going to play one of them, but decided to do bari when i heard about bass saxes being used in Dixieland. That and I'm a Sax player at heart:).....

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,597 Posts
I saw a place in Brazil that made a low G bass. I would imagine they could do the same for a bari :)

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Thanks guys!
I also play string and electric bass, and was origanly going to play one of them, but decided to do bari when i heard about bass saxes being used in Dixieland. That and I'm a Sax player at heart:).....
Why not do both then? It would be a great change of pace to come off the bass every fourth song or so and lay down some bari. I would think the bari doing bass on every tune would seem unauthentic and thus get old.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
2,461 Posts
Thanks guys!
Why not do both then? It would be a great change of pace to come off the bass every fourth song or so and lay down some bari. I would think the bari doing bass on every tune would seem unauthentic and thus get old.
This gets to one of my pet peeves. Go to a bar to listen to a band and every song they do sounds pretty much the same (don't they know more then one key?). Mixing up the instruments would be one way of not sounding the same.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts