Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, everyone
I've been playing jazz bari sax quite seriously now for about 4-5 years. I'm 15, and my back and neck have recently started to become a problem. I'm pretty small, about 5'1-5'2 and around 93 lbs. I had to bail on a gig at the last minute a few days ago because of my neck and back pain. My mom has decided that I am not allowed to play bari anymore until i go to the doctor, and I need some help finding a harness! I've been playing with a yolk neckstrap, and have tried a few harnesses, but since I'm small and a girl ,none of them work. I really need some advice on finding some cheap, but effective harnesses for someone my size. HELP!

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I met someone that used one of those, a shorter man. I didn't try it, but the guy raved about it.
I've always used the same strap for all four horns, but I'm usually switching saxes pretty much every song. I know that playing bari for a long time with a normal strap will hurt.

If you don't like the Saxholder, there are other straps that might help:
http://www.musicmedic.com/catalog/products/strp-100.html
http://www.protecmusic.com/items.as...rumentGroupID=1&CategoryID=1&subCategoryID=76

Also, make sure that when you play, the strap is tightened enough. I've seen a LOT of players that put it a bit too low, and then they have to reach their necks down to get to the mouthpiece. I used to do it myself. Not only will it mess with your neck, but the angle it creates between the mouthpiece and your mouth can mess with the horn's outer ranges.

·
Forum Contributor 2015-17
1,910 Posts
I use one of these, and if it were lost would get another: http://www.saxharness.com

I am not a fifteen year old girl though. Maybe a stand would be best for you.

Addison is probably not as small as you, and i suspect that you are playing a Low A bari, but she's using (I think) a personalized version of the harness I linked to above. Might give you some ideas.

Music at 3:40.

·
Forum Contributor 2015-17
1,910 Posts
Oops, i see that someone has already offered you a saxholder. Maybe follow up on that?

·
Registered
Alto, tenor, bari, bass guitar, lapsteel
113 Posts
Or try this... I took a thicker guitar strap and bought a metal snap to attach to the horn. Tied the snap with a piece of cord and stuck that through a washer and tied a knot

Works great!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

·
Registered
294 Posts
I've had serious back and neck pain for years. I play a lot of bari professionally and have tried different types of harnesses, the sax holder, and others. The new Vandoren Universal Saxophone Harness beats them all. Very comfortable, adjusts to your size an absolutely no pressure on your neck. They aren't cheap but they are well made and will last forever. I can also use it with my tenor. Give it a try. You won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hey, everyone
I've been playing jazz bari sax quite seriously now for about 4-5 years. I'm 15, and my back and neck have recently started to become a problem. I'm pretty small, about 5'1-5'2 and around 93 lbs. I had to bail on a gig at the last minute a few days ago because of my neck and back pain. My mom has decided that I am not allowed to play bari anymore until i go to the doctor, and I need some help finding a harness! I've been playing with a yolk neckstrap, and have tried a few harnesses, but since I'm small and a girl ,none of them work. I really need some advice on finding some cheap, but effective harnesses for someone my size. HELP!
I'll get my daughter to consult on this one. She's about your same height and is still playing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
After almost 28 years of being a short female bari player, here is what i have found. If you are already hurting get a stand. It will alleviate muscle strain. Don't get a harness, they are great if you are tall but they don't fit us well. Get a thick padded neck strap. I am using a rico one right now and love it. You will need to try different ones till you find a good fit for your bari. My last piece of advice is to make an appointment with a physical therapist or trainer after you find your strap. They can look at your posture with your horn and prescribe exercises to strengthen your upper body to keep you from straining and being in pain. Hope my insight helps

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hey, everyone
I have been using a Neotech bari harness for over 8 years already, played for more than one hour standing up. No neck or back pain issues.

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,285 Posts
I'm a now 53 year old short (5' 2.5" on a tall day) bari player. I've been using a Neotec Super Harness for a few years and it's very comfortable. Much better than the older H-Back style bari harness.
It is available in a 'youth/womans' size.
That's me in my avatar with my heavier than a YBS52 Low A bari, Buescher 400 keyed to low Bb. :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
After almost 28 years of being a short female bari player, here is what i have found. If you are already hurting get a stand. It will alleviate muscle strain. Don't get a harness, they are great if you are tall but they don't fit us well. Get a thick padded neck strap. I am using a rico one right now and love it. You will need to try different ones till you find a good fit for your bari. My last piece of advice is to make an appointment with a physical therapist or trainer after you find your strap. They can look at your posture with your horn and prescribe exercises to strengthen your upper body to keep you from straining and being in pain. Hope my insight helps
Thank You!
Ingrid, hope that helps. Also one inexpensive neck strap that has not been mentioned yet; a Yahama Air Cell. View attachment 55937
$15.99 on amazon with free shipping. Incredible! It felt like the horn was the same weight as a tenor. Has a coated steel hook but watch it, it can twist around and come off.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm a now 53 year old short (5' 2.5" on a tall day) bari player. I've been using a Neotec Super Harness for a few years and it's very comfortable. Much better than the older H-Back style bari harness.
That's me in my avatar with my heavier than a YBS52 Low A bari, Buescher 400 keyed to low Bb. :)
Thank you for bringing up your harness. i will have to try it. I am glad that they have made improvements on the old type.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'm a 56 yo returning player with cervical arthritis.
I looked the Neotec up on Amazon and they have 3 lengths; Junior, Regular and Long. Which size are you using?
Looks Really Good! The harness snap is a definite Plus.
Is the neck padding like a memory foam or air cells?

·
19,285 Posts
Since I share my horn with my son-in-law, I think I got the regular. It adjusts small enough to fit me.
The yoke padding, I believe, is neoprene. Or at least a neoprene like material. There is little to no 'bounce' so it's not as bad as the 'classic' Neotec alto/tenor straps.
The snap hook is nice, but I don't trust it 100%. I had a similar snap hook fail on an H-back style Neotec harness and a borrowed school bari bounced off from the floor.
They say that the hooks have since been beefed up, but still... The sound of that horn hitting the floor made me want to vomit, and I don't ever want to hear it again.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
7,977 Posts
Since I share my horn with my son-in-law, I think I got the regular. It adjusts small enough to fit me.
The yoke padding, I believe, is neoprene. Or at least a neoprene like material. There is little to no 'bounce' so it's not as bad as the 'classic' Neotec alto/tenor straps.
The snap hook is nice, but I don't trust it 100%. I had a similar snap hook fail on an H-back style Neotec harness and a borrowed school bari bounced off from the floor.
They say that the hooks have since been beefed up, but still... The sound of that horn hitting the floor made me want to vomit, and I don't ever want to hear it again.
Is that the chrome or stainless hook with a wire catch?
Mine is like that and I love it.
My other harness in the neotech soft harness (i think) has a U shaped neoprene thingy that goes around your neck.
Not as good as the Super harness, but works ok.
The hook on that is crap.
I replaced it with a stainless snap hook kind of like the one in photo below.
Much stronger than the spindly thing it came with.
View attachment 55965
I should mention that I'm a fair bit taller at 6'3" and around 90kg and male if that makes a difference.

·
19,285 Posts
Mine has the plastic spring hook. It seems 'sturdy' enough, but I always keep a good 2 hand hold on that old Buescher.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts