Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,136 Posts
Not too many sax players double tongue at all, so just being able to do it is pretty cool. I like the sound. It's hard to do without rushing the tempo.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My max tempo for double tongueing is 220, and i can single tongue at 150. Im pretty sure there is a world record to break here

·
7,136 Posts
For me, the challenge is not double tonguing per se, but playing more than one note while doing it. It's hard to control while playing lines, but easy to control when just repeating a note.

·
7,136 Posts
I'd like to hear that. could you post?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
1,526 Posts
Nice and quick... A video of you playing would be great... So nice & quick??? You must have an 'AutoQuick' software for such clean, fast enunciation... No! Post a video w/ you playing so we all can see that the 'double tongue Emperor' does have clothes...

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just for you, tomarrow i will make a video of me playing all 12 major scales at 190, maybe even 200 bpm.

Edit: Im only a sophomore in high school so i dont know why people are so amazed by me being able to do this. Maybe one day i'll understand

·
7,136 Posts
Sounds great for a high school student. I hear you starting with the metronome but it would be more challenging to keep it going while you play. Try to listen to some Rudy Weidoeft. He is faster than that with single tongueing.

·
Registered
836 Posts
DChalo

The piece that you're playing (Texas All State Jazz Etude 3) is not meant for every note to be tongued. It's Jazz, so the articulations are up to you, and hopefully your saxophone teacher. I posted recordings of these earlier this week. the Bari version of that etude is at about 8:00.

I don't mean to side track from the double tonguing topic, just trying to be helpful for your particular endeavor.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Do you think the double tongueing in the middle part would hurt my score?

Edit: Is that a plastic Berg?

·
Registered
836 Posts
Yes it will absolutely hurt your score.
What you're trying to do would be cool in some other context. Perhaps something for Solo and Ensemble contest. Not for Region Jazz Band auditions.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the input. About the mouthpiece, what made you choose the Plastic over the metal berg? And how did you know what size to choose?

·
Registered
836 Posts
Bergs can be great, but they're known for being inconsistent. If you have a hard rubber Berg that's close, you can easily have a refacer fix it up. Sometimes pretty cheaply too. The metal Bergs are usually made of stainless steel, which most refacers won't work on, or they will for a lot of money. I bought that one at WWBW, so I could just return it if I didn't like it.
If you want to PM an email address. I can send you that etude with suggested articulations. You'll need Finale Reader (free)

·
7,136 Posts
Dchalo, sorry i did not mean to put you down. I want to encourage you. When I said you sounded great for a high school student, I meant it. It's just that when you said you might set a world record, that is not the case now but with enough practice you might become the world's fastest double tonguer (is that a word?). Anyway, the point of all tonguing and articulation is be accurate and expressive. Just tonguing fast means nothing if it is not rhythmically accurate. That's why i suggested tonguing practice with the metronome on, not just to set a tempo.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Soybean: Yeah, i know. I wasnt serious about it putting me down, it did encourage me.

Legitalto: I just ordered a 110/2 metal berg from WWBW to try out and i will make a new video of me playing it with the articulation styles you showed me

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,962 Posts
Edit: Im only a sophomore in high school so i dont know why people are so amazed by me being able to do this. Maybe one day i'll understand
I'm amazed that you think fast tonguing is so important. If it is so easy for you, then find something more challenging.

Enjoy the horn - it's a lifetime learning opportunity.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts