IMHO....if you can talk the seller into a partial refund, take the $400-500 you can get back from him and go get the horn repaired. It will still end up a pretty good deal even if repairs cost $600.Therein lies my conundrum!
Everything I have read is that this is a really good bari.
But if I have to drop another $500-700 into this one, would I be better served to buy another (IN PERSON or reputable seller) for $2400-2600?
Anyway, I doubt the seller would be willing to refund what it would take to get this one in (real) playing condition.
Probably an 'all or nothing' situation.
As far as the Taishan......jury is still out, but there are other options in the used market for a Low-A bari for $2000 and under IF the decision is in my favor.
Just curious horn fixer how come you hate Tai Shan so much ??? ..some of us have been very pleased with their horns.Oh No!! Don't do it.
Did you ask the guy for some money back for repairs?
Keep the Yamaha. The repairs are minor.
Just my opinion.
Go talk to Bruce.
Thanks CashSax. Though I feel pretty good about my chances, you just never know until the decision is made...................Amanda's dad I feel yer pain those orig pics were misleading as to the true condition of the yama..I hope you'll be OK in this, PayPal sounds like it may help you.I'll keep my fingers crossed for you anyway.
Gordon, the pads on the main body don't look bad, the pads up top on the loop don't exhibit any real 'seating'.I think that with all the physical damage on this sax, there is bound to be a whole heap of mechanical issues affecting pad sealing and reliability as well.
Somewhat agree.Because they are so easy to damage, I would EXPECT a second hand bari to have a heap of issues unless you have excellent evidence otherwise.
Hence a fair bit ot buyer beware involved here.
FWIW, the horn was not purchased on eBay though it was paid for using PayPal. Buyer protection from PayPal alone is apt to have to meet a higher standard of proof from the purchaser since the normal "listing with condition representation to purchaser's acceptance and condition then" chain is a lot murkier.I would just wait for your claim to be decided by Ebay. You might get an estimate in writing from your tech on letterhead, etc. and present that with your claim.
The purchase is covered with Buyer Protection from Ebay and Paypal. I think they will also pay for return shipping.
If it was me, just the aggravation alone would sour me on keeping the horn even if the seller offered some $$ for repairs (which I doubt he will do.)