Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got pull throughs for my alto and tenor and do them after every session.

I've just acquired a bari but how do you pull through the whole length of a bari sax effectively when it would require a tea towel at one end and an alto pull through at the other?

I can't find anything specifically designed to pull through a bari, so is it down to inventing something and if so what?

Thoughts/suggestions most welcome.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,840 Posts
There aren’t any.

For the reason that you have found yourself.

You have special brushes (or the same brush covered with sponge inside and material outside. looks like a cylinder of spongy material) to push-pull trough the curly bit

But this would only “ clean” the curl.

to clean the rest of the body you either have to be inventive and use something that is not really meant for a baritone sax or dismount a key on the body of the saxophone and from there insert a cleaning aid of some sort.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,917 Posts
I find that due to the curl, very little moisture or crud actually gets into the body.

Granted there could be some moisture in the body due to condensation, but I think most of that happens in the curl as air has probably cooled down by the time it gets past the curl.

So basically I don't worry about it. (After doing the curl with a Hodge swab)

·
Forum Contributor 2014-2017
649 Posts
Just floss and brush before you play so you're not blowing food particles into it, and don't worry about it.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just floss and brush before you play so you're not blowing food particles into it, and don't worry about it.
But that nice piece of peanut brittle just before playing makes for so many extra semiquaver/16ths :)

Thanks for the thoughts and for links to the brush and pull through everyone - very helpful.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
824 Posts
I saw this a while ago, found it again when I saw this thread:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jj3j0vuRN24
I'd be afraid I'd drop the horn, or bang it up. I use the Hodge silk covered foam snake as mentioned above, and also try to brush my teeth before playing (also mentioned above).

I just run a little water through the neck (s). Both are very short -one a Yani and the other a MKVI. I pull a bit of tissue through to dry, than it sits out overnight to dry completely before putting it back in the case.

·
Registered
309 Posts
You can buy a bari pull-through. I have one, but I never use it because of the acrobatics involved in getting the end through the sax - the bari pull through is more for amusement than utility.
Swabbing the pigtail with a fluffy mop seems to be fine.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I have a GEM silk pull-through bari swab. It works quite well, but you have to be confident enough to spin you horn around to work it all the way through.
I use that along with a Hodge snake for the curly-Q, and a BG pull-through for the neck.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
I use a Hodge snake swab for the loop and a standard tenor silk pull-through for the neck. That works fine — no need to swab the body of the sax.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,840 Posts
pretty much my position on this.

It is either cleaning the curl alone or to have to resort to ingenuity and acrobatics to clean the body which is so large that the miserable size of the cloth that goes through the curl without jamming it could never , truly, clean it.

Besides, suppose you do pass a cloth like that through the curl and the cord breaks... you don’t want to go there.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
I find that due to the curl, very little moisture or crud actually gets into the body.

Granted there could be some moisture in the body due to condensation, but I think most of that happens in the curl as air has probably cooled down by the time it gets past the curl.

So basically I don't worry about it. (After doing the curl with a Hodge swab)
I agree. An "HW Pad-Saver® for Bari Sax Bow" is min-named because it has nothing to do with pads, but it is very flexible and great for cleaning the bow:
https://www.amazon.com/HW-Pad-Saver®-Bari-Sax-Bow/dp/B007X9XNEQ

1 - 15 of 15 Posts