Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've tried a few mouthpieces in my career. I've tried Rico Metalite and Graftonite, Durga 7*(sotw passaround) Runyon Quantum, Metal Berg, SG Low Rider.

IMO, the Durga is the best mouthpiece ever without comparison but I don't have that kind of money.

My preferred sound is the Metalite but due to intonation issues and high range difficulty, I mainly play the low rider.

I'd like to try out different mouthpieces but have yet to find any stores in the Dallas/Fort Worth area that have bari pieces in stock for trial.

I'm on vacation till Thursday and would love to spend some time trying out a few pieces. Does anyone know a place in DFW that would be worth checking out? Or maybe someone has a drawer full of pieces they've piled away? :) I just would like to get an idea of what else is out there.

Band Website in sig has my playing style.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
2,090 Posts
It's tough to find anything in Dallas beyond what the schools are requiring. Call David at David's Musical Instrument Repair in Carrollton. He has a retail shop and as good a selection as you will find here. He may have something new or used.

(972) 242-7707

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
You might be just as well off picking up a used piece or two here or on ebay. If you do a little research you can often get some pretty good deals and not end up loosing anything if you decide to sell later.

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
+1 on the eBay route. Hard to find stores in NYC that stock a large variety of them (including Sam Ash). I've bought a bunch of pieces lately and had a couple cheap ones modified by Grieffenhagen and Lance Burton just to try that rout.. Haven't found anything I like better than the Strathon yet. Just picked up a link 8* for pretty cheap. Have to see how that works out. My horn is pretty picky about pieces. While like you, I did like the Durga I have best, it won't play in tune on my horn, so I've come to realize it's really a matter of finding your special combination on bari more than any of the other voices.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll send you my .120 Low Rider plus $250 for the Durga you don't use. ;)

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
Well, thanks for thinking of me. As you might guess I do have a bit more in it than that, but if you want a serious chat on the Durga 8, PM me and I'll send you a price. I did buy it used and didn't pay retail on it.

·
Über Geek, Forum Contributor 2010 Distinguished SO
3,841 Posts
Specifically, what Bergs have you tried? In my experience, they're so variable that you might as well keep a few bucks in reserve and try whatever you run across. I've gotten to know the one I play, but I never know when I might need a backup, and so far I haven't found a mouthpiece I'd be happy about having to switch to, probably because I've put so much time and effort into learning how to play this one. Metal Bergs, by the way, seem to be more hit-and-miss than new the hard rubber specimens. Yay. :|

If you're having trouble specifically with the high range, though, you'll want to 1) make sure you put in some extra time on attacks and voicing, (which involves more overtone practice), and, 2) assuming your horn is in good repair, make sure you have appropriate clearance on your upper stack and palm keys. I was amazed at how much easier a few key-height tweaks made the upper register on my horn. YMMV.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've played on two different Bergs. I couldn't tell you what the first one was but the second was a metal 110/2 M(or somewhere inthat range). My issue with the Bergs is from a tone standpoint. The last one I had had great intonation and was pretty effortless but they always sound like they have too much focused midrange in their sound(IMO). I've noticed this when I played them as well as with others who have played them for years. They seem to have a very distinct sound that doesn't quite appeal to me.

As far as your upper register suggestions:
1) I totally agree that I would benefit from more overtones as it is probably my least practiced area. That being said, I played on a Link Supertone edge for about 7 years(somehow I blocked this from my memory when I first posted, haha). I tried overtones for so long that I got sick of them and assumed that altissimo just wasn't for me. After a few years I gave up. It wasn't until, on a whim, I sent the link to get worked on and I played on a Metalite for the first time that I noticed there was something about the link that would not allow me to ge into the high range. ...and when I tried the Durga altissimo just popped out so effortless like if I had been playing in that range for years even though it was the first time I had ever played some of these notes. ......so anywaaaaaay. My experience(due to mouthpiece problems) had turned me off altissimo until recently, but, yes, I need more overtone practice.
2) I have my horn tuned my a local guy every once in a while. I'll mention this to him. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
BTW, Spike241 and BariJim, I've taken my horn to David once before and he did a great job but I never thought, at that time, to see what his inventory looked like. I found another repair place very close to me in Keller(N. Fort Worth) and have not gone back. Maybe I'll make a trip out there on Wednesday. Thanks.

Looking at the pieces I've tried, can you guys make some suggestions what I should look out for? In the music I play, I like a very fat sound(love the Metalite) but would like something with a slightly more focused sound(better projection). The Low Rider piece actually has great projection and intonation but I miss the sound of the metalite. The LR also seems to have a thinner sound when played softly. I have about $200-$300 to play with plus whatever I can make back selling the Low Rider if/when I find something better. I was looking at the baffle/chamber design of the Kessler Custom mouthpieces and was searching for reviews but couldn't really find any.

Also, I was looking into a JJ ESP piece but wonder if this is too dark for me, I'd probably use the spoiler? (I make these assumptions based solely on the visual appearance ofthe pieces and would love some feedback)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts