1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
Yani T880, Yam YBS-52, SML Rev. D Tenor Silver Plate
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

· Registered
Primarily Tenor with occasional Alto
1,702 Posts
Hmmm...very interesting looking....similar idea to the Everton piece made in Brazil.

· Distinguished SOTW Member/Mouthpiece Artisan.
253 Posts
I have not tried the tenors models but have tried the alto models. In comparison to the regular Bari hard rubber I found the Hybrid to have more core and more power. I liked it quite a bit, they're definitely worth a try.

· Registered
71 Posts
I have one. I like it a lot. It stays dark if you want it to, but can certainly give more edge than a stm. It struck me as a great idea so I picked one up at tmea in february. I tried it out on a ref 36 at the selmer booth (cuz that's my horn) back to back with my .95 bari HR that Wolfe worked on. Ill probably be sending this to him for a bit of work as well, but it really sounds great to me. I have a 7* and like green Java 3s although I'm trying to like the reds on it, too. Not sure if any of this helps.

· Distinguished SOTW Member
2,285 Posts
I might have been one of the first people that BARI had try out the Hybrid. I asked for a 7* and an 8, I ended up keeping the 7*.

The mouthpieces do have some weight to them as a result of the insert, no more so than a large metal mouthpiece. The workmanship is very nice, table is flat and the rails and tip are nice and even and smooth. They came with a simple ligature but I found the Rico "H" fits it like a glove and does not dampen the sound any.

I've played many mouthpieces over the years and this Hybrid is actually unique, I can't remember anyone over the years putting a metal inset into a hard rubber mouthpiece. The sound is truly nice, I get the sound qualities of a great HR mouthpiece with the addition of a bit or edge/brilliance of a metal that has a slight baffle. It's kind of a contradiction but the way I put it...the Hybrid has a nice sultry, throaty darkness with brightness and edge. The closest mouthpiece I can compare it to is a RPC 115B but the Hybrid has no high baffle. The Hybrid has more depth to it whereas the RPC has more cut when pushed. When I play with different "Dynasty" bands or the occasional "rocker" I'll sometimes change mouthpieces. Other than those scenarios I've been playing on the Hybrid since September '09 and using it for small and medium venue performances and concerts.

JR

· Distinguished SOTW Member/Mouthpiece Artisan.
253 Posts
I like that this piece has a good balance of warmth and power. Its feels much better than most modern hard rubber pieces to me but I guess we can debate whether to compare it to hr or metal pieces.

· Registered
139 Posts
I recently tried the Bari Hybrid Tenor Gold 7 mouthpiece and loved it every bit.
It is very smooth, not overly bright, warm, edgy and blows freely.

I am not a big fan of metal mouthpiece and this bari is god sent to me when I want to get edgier metal mpc type sound!
highly recommend trying for anyone who loved HR over metal!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts