Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm joining a bing band soon, and would like a mouthpiece that fits the style, but doesn't break the bank. Does anyone have experience with the bari hybrid mouthpieces for baritone? And do you have thoughts about a safe bet for tip opening? Not really possible to try anything around here.

· Registered
61 Posts
Can only go by the Tenor version I have....in the pile of stuff to go on ebay....Loved it in the shop, tried it in a band setting and it sounded like a kazoo. The only mouthpiece I've ever really regretted buying. Sorry.
On Bari I use either a Link for blending in subtly, a Berg if there's a guitar player or a Runyon Spoiler for when the guitar player can't find the 'turn the volume down' knob on his amp.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can only go by the Tenor version I have....in the pile of stuff to go on ebay....Loved it in the shop, tried it in a band setting and it sounded like a kazoo. The only mouthpiece I've ever really regretted buying. Sorry.
On Bari I use either a Link for blending in subtly, a Berg if there's a guitar player or a Runyon Spoiler for when the guitar player can't find the 'turn the volume down' knob on his amp.
That's interesting, what made you love it when you played it alone, and why was it so bad when played with the rest of the band? How did it make you think of a kazoo?

· Registered
61 Posts
It was so easy to play. I was trying it in a small soundproofed booth and I think that's what tricked me into thinking it sounded bigger than it was. In 'real life' it was all mid-range and fuzzy. Very easy to control but sonically pretty narrow. Maybe I'll give it another go with harder reeds, but I'm not holding out much hope.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts