Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new user here,

I recently purchased a Bari Esprit for my alto sax, as I've been looking for a piece that's less classical-oriented (compared to my E. Rousseau NC5) but not very expensive, as all I need it for right now is my high school jazz band. The piece came with what looks to be the stock ligature, however it's fairly severely bent where it holds the reed and though it's not unplayable, I'd prefer to get a new ligature for it so I don't end up inadvertently messing up my tone or damaging my reeds in some way. The tricky (ish) part here is that I want to go with a metal ligature rather than a fabric one like a Rovner since I'm using the piece for jazz.

Does anyone have any suggestions, hopefully something fairly cheap? I just don't want to go overboard on this. Maybe a Rovner will be alright after all? I really can't say. I'm not particularly versed in mouthpieces and especially not ligatures.

Thank you in advance!

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,819 Posts
You can certainly try to straighten the ligature for example tightening it around a mouthpiece cap ( otherwise it is possible to first make it flat , straighten it, and then wrap it around the mouthpiece cap to reshape it.

Alternatively the ligature appears to be a standard alto universal ligature if you want to replace it.

Unless you want a fancy ligature which will not do anything for your sound but will certainly cost more.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright, thank you for the advice! Unless the cost is extravagant for a standard ligature (which I doubt) then I will probably just buy another one of those.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,819 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,962 Posts
Alright, thank you for the advice! Unless the cost is extravagant for a standard ligature (which I doubt) then I will probably just buy another one of those.
If you have ANY music shop near you, even one which has a lousy supply of woodwind stuff, they will surely have a cheap lig which will work fine, just bring the mouthpiece with you....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts