Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone tried the new BARI elite reed?. Bright red in color and a fake gemstone on it. Does it play way better than standard BARI reeds and can it be adjusted if needed?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The reeds are avaialble direct from BARI and they are 34.95 each. I am not wiling to spend that unless they are really good? Maybe some of you that go to Namm this year can try them out and let us know?

·
Registered
5,575 Posts
anyone tried the new BARI elite reed?. Bright red in color and a fake gemstone on it.
LOL -- are you supposed to leave that on while you play? Is it purely decorative, or does BARI claim that it affects the sound or response of the reed?

The reeds are avaialble direct from BARI and they are 34.95 each. I am not wiling to spend that unless they are really good?
It's hard to believe that a new BARI reed model could be more than twice as good as the previous BARI reeds, even though the price is more than twice as much.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The elite reed is 9.00 than regular if you buy them direct from BARI. 25.95 for regular 34.95 for elite. I have not found the elite reed anywhere but from BARI and of course you can buy standard BARI reeds on line for 13.50 so you are right.

·
Registered
5,575 Posts
My curiosity got the better of me, so I've ordered one of these BARI Bling reeds for alto, despite the outlandish price. I think one superlative is already in the can: this must be the silliest-looking reed for a classical player to use, even besting the Hartmann Fiberzebra.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've been playing these reeds for almost 2 years with my big band. I play baritone sax and they give me the power to be heard over the rhythm section. I will admit, the gem stone looks odd, but they play so much better than the regular and star reeds for me. They also last a long time. I think they are great when you need to be heard or get a bright jazz sound out of a classical mouthpiece.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Are they consistent in strenght/? I am getting pretty good results from regular BARI reed on Bari sax I will sand the ones that are too hard . on tenor I am doing better with a soft although I have to sand those as well. I have some mediums for tenor that I may sand some more to make them play better. I have drilled some of them the same way that your elite is drilled and I don't think that mod makes them play better? the elite is going to have to play way better for me to spend the extra money? Thank you for the info.

·
Registered
21 Posts
So ... your gem is missing ??
It's there, it's just hard to see in the photo.

Are they consistent in strenght/? I am getting pretty good results from regular BARI reed on Bari sax I will sand the ones that are too hard . on tenor I am doing better with a soft although I have to sand those as well. I have some mediums for tenor that I may sand some more to make them play better. I have drilled some of them the same way that your elite is drilled and I don't think that mod makes them play better? the elite is going to have to play way better for me to spend the extra money? Thank you for the info.
They really seem to be consistent. I haven't had to sand them. That being said I only have 2 MS reeds for Soprano, Alto, Tenor and Bari. They all seem close to a 2.5 and they work for my setup. I know there are some variations, but it's not to the point of sanding. I think my mouthpiece is really reed friendly. I've actually been trying out cane reeds last week and I played a Orange Box Rico 2.0 & 3.0 and both played very well. The only difference was the 3.0 played louder. As far as resistance, the 3.0 & 2.0 were the same. I've never experienced anything like that, but I've only been playing Baritone sax for 2 years. I've played the other saxes for over 30 years.

I can tell you they are different from the regular bari and bari * reeds. They are darker sounding on my set up and closer to a cane reed. They play better for me and I don't play on my other bari reeds anymore. The only down side is they are thick compared to a cane reed, so make sure your ligature has some extra room.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
I've been playing these reeds for almost 2 years with my big band. I play baritone sax and they give me the power to be heard over the rhythm section. I will admit, the gem stone looks odd, but they play so much better than the regular and star reeds for me. They also last a long time. I think they are great when you need to be heard or get a bright jazz sound out of a classical mouthpiece.

View attachment 103272
That red one doesn't appear to have the grooves like the originals that made you feel like you were sucking on an old LP. Did you sand them off or does the reed come smooth like that??

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I played my BARI reeds on alto and tenor again and I do not like the way they play or sound . I have played on these reeds alot. I don't think buying different mouthpieces would help? I am hesitant to buy more synthetic reeds?

·
Registered
21 Posts
That red one doesn't appear to have the grooves like the originals that made you feel like you were sucking on an old LP. Did you sand them off or does the reed come smooth like that??
It comes like that, no sanding at all. Yeah, the older reeds did have the grooves and it took a while to get used to that, but I was playing them in march band and didn't want to use cane reeds for that.

·
Registered
5,575 Posts
As promised (threatened?), I've tested a BARI Elite reed for alto, MS. In retrospect, an M might have been a better choice, but I wanted to make sure the thing would be playable.

If these reeds were widely played, they'd probably become known as BARI Red, along the lines of Java red/green. When I first put the translucent red reed on a black mouthpiece, it looked rather ... tasty? A bit like a chocolate-covered cherry. The goofy gemstone was like some sprinkles on the sundae, I guess.

I wouldn't characterize the sound as delicious, though -- way too bright and buzzy for me. Wow -- even more than I was expecting. And I was using what I though was my darkest setup, a D'Addario Reserve D155 mouthpiece with a Rovner Versa ligature. Actually, the reed performed better, IMO, on a slightly less resistant mouthpiece, a Yanagisawa AC150 (this is Yany's classical piece). In fact, the combination of a free-blowing mp with a loud, free-blowing reed was sort of fun for playing some old jazz/big band tunes. Very easy to bend notes. Lots of projection. I enjoyed this excursion.

So, although I found the BARI Elite totally unsuitable for classical playing, it may be the reed to choose if you'd like to play lead alto using a classical mouthpiece. :)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am back on the BARI reeds again. I might try the elite? Can you adjust the elite reed if it is too hard? the packageing on the reed might say so as the standard BARI reed says BARI reeds can be clipped and shaved.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts