Sax on the Web Forum banner

Bari Dakota Alto Piece

6K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  mlscnr 
#1 ·
Anyone have a clue where I can find a BARI brand alto mouthpiece called DAKOTA? It's hard rubber but I can't find it listed anywhere..I know it exists though because I recently played one and loved it!!

Thanks..
Ryan

#5 ·
mpc Vs mpc

Hi Ryan,

How do you do?

Would you mind to describe or compare the sound of the Dkota?

Do you know what exactly (the opening) 4, 5 ,6, 7 or 8 are?

I have played on Meyer 6m, Vandoren A45, Vandoren Java A45, Jody Jazz DV 8, Morgan 7M, Lakey 5*3 and finally as my actual piece a Vandoren V16 A9S.

I was looking for a loud piece with a big sound with body, with projection and brightness, but not to much (I do not like the edgy sounds). For my taste the V16 has been the very best (IMHO) and the louder piece.

Ryan, As I know you have experience with V16, could you compare it with the Dkota?

Thank so much and kind regards,
Anselmo

#6 ·
Anselmo--Hi! I think the V16 mouthpieces are really really good pieces especially on alto...The Bari DKOTA piece was also REALLY good...I was SO surprised...I played a 6 at Ishimori's in Tokyo...THe piece is Bari's version of a new york meyer...it has a smaller chamber and for me it played with the warmth and feel of a meyer...the V16s have a bit of a differnt feel and sound than a meyer...I'm about 2 seconds from buying one...the best part is they are quite cheap...around 65$ at Weiners...the 6 played REALLy well and had a great facing...I really liked the piece...you may like the 7 a tad more...if you get one let me know!

#7 ·
Thanks for this thread. I've been looking too.
Just this minute ordered a 5, a 6, and a 7 Dkota Alto MP from Weiner for trial. If they are anywhere as good as his clarinet MPs they'll be great. Buddy DeFranco swears by Bari and sent one to me some years ago.
Thanks for the tip.

ATJ

#8 ·
I was skeptical because BARI products can be hit or miss depending...the Sop mouthpiece, as everyone knows, are legendary--EVERYONE plays one on sop...the alto pieces I rarely see and tenor and bari pieces NEVER EVER EVER seen anyone playing...the metal tenor pieces are really poor pieces...BUT this DKOTA alto piece blew me away! I liked it a lot! I‘m 1 second away from getting one...

#9 ·
Thanks Ryan

More brightness than the V16?
Do you know the openings in inches (0.70, 0.75.......)?

Thanks again, and a pleasure as everytime,

Anselmo

#10 ·
Not more bright..maybe equal to or slightly --every so slightly darker than a V16--closer to a meyer than the V16--BARI doesn:t have tips on their website and I:ve not bothered to email them yet...I suspect a 6 is around .78 or so and the 7 to be around .82 but this is pure speculation...

#11 ·
Thanks Ryan.
I have sent them a mail.

Cheers

#12 ·
Maybe somebody interested in

Hi guys,

I have sent an email to Bari asking for the real openings.
Here is the answer:

4 = .072
5 = .077
6 = .082
7 = .087

Cheers,
Anselmo

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.