Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a couesnon monople 1 bari 6xxx with some bell issues and no neck in order to restore it....
could someone who plays one (or who knows about them) tell me what other kind of neck would work on it?? I am thinking of having paraschos or glogger make on
.. the option of a glogger in copper isn't that expensive since the monople doesn't reqire a key..
anything I should be particularly aware of? any ideas that I should pass on to my tech when I get it repaired?
setup?
thanx :)

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it was an ebay purchase, and I think it is worth restoring. Not much seems to be damaged but I know there might be problems that I cant see from the pics..

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
saxophone, flutes and lil' bit of clarinet
7,359 Posts
I'm curious if you ever finished restoring this bari and how it plays.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,497 Posts
could someone who plays one (or who knows about them) tell me what other kind of neck would work on it?? I am thinking of having paraschos or glogger make on ....
I think you are the only human on the planet who has one of these ! :shock:

I am curious also what you did with it. I would have suggested Paraschos, only because you are in Hellas, too.

Other than that..just try to nail a loose neck with a close tenon diameter, and get a tech to work it from there.

That's a real iffy proposition.... because it'll probably require reuturning to the tech for further adjustments...but definitely, a Couesnon Bari...heck, that'd be worth the trouble, and money, to get a neck working on it !!!!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
1,184 Posts
I have a Couesnon Monopole bari, plenty of dents and bad lacquer but OMG, what a great-playing horn! Since it's a low-Bb horn and I do need to play low A's from time to time, I made up a "removable low-A device" from a 4"-diameter coffee can with the bottom cut off to make the tube 6" long, and fitted with foam rubber weatherstripping around the outside bottom to act as a gasket when sticking the thing in the bell. Lightweight and works perfectly. Needed to go this route since I've sold my low-A Weltklang bari -- also a good instrument, but frankly I prefer the Couesnon even with the inconvenience of having to stick something in the bell whenever a low A note is needed.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,022 Posts
I have a Couesnon Monopole bari, plenty of dents and bad lacquer but OMG, what a great-playing horn! Since it's a low-Bb horn and I do need to play low A's from time to time, I made up a "removable low-A device" from a 4"-diameter coffee can with the bottom cut off to make the tube 6" long, and fitted with foam rubber weatherstripping around the outside bottom to act as a gasket when sticking the thing in the bell. Lightweight and works perfectly. Needed to go this route since I've sold my low-A Weltklang bari -- also a good instrument, but frankly I prefer the Couesnon even with the inconvenience of having to stick something in the bell whenever a low A note is needed.
I know you're not the only one who does this, but how do you deal with charts where the low Bb and A are written in the same line? My arrangements are generally not very difficult, but I do take a low A for granted -- without extensions, feet in the bell, or anything of the sort.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I have a Couesnon Monopole bari, plenty of dents and bad lacquer but OMG, what a great-playing horn!
Hi David (and/or anyone else with one of these)

Does yours have a double socket neck?

I have one on the way - and the closest I have got to it is some photographs so far. I know the neck tenon has had some soldering work done on it - I was wondering if it has had a tenon modification to take another neck, or whether the neck is original. Mine has the standard single socket neck.

Also, the OP had a bari SN 6xxx - Mine is 6xxx - where abouts is yours in the serial number?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
1,020 Posts
I know you're not the only one who does this, but how do you deal with charts where the low Bb and A are written in the same line?
You can't. I've been this route and couldn't manage some Nestico and Thad Jones arrangements with my removable... tomato can on a low Bb Pierret. Plus the low B, Csharp and C sounded stuffy with the extension.
I then moved to a low A Weltklang (not as old as David's). I test played a low Bb Couesnon bari once and found it close in feel and tone to an SML I played before.

·
Registered
580 Posts
After months of waiting I have finally caught up with my Monopole I bari. First play show a few leaks - and great promise!

One of the leaks relates to an octave mechanism. It seems to an be extra octave vent that is activated by depressing the F key (lower stack, RH1). The lever that does that sits next to lever that closes the upper stack A key key. The arm that closes both has a roller. Interestingly the arm does not extend to close the G# key, and that is closed by a more robust connection near the lever arm.

Is this configuration on the other Monopole baris out there, and what benefit does it offer? It leaks now but it will be an easy adjustment to get it into regulation.

·
7,359 Posts
It seems to an be extra octave vent…

Is this configuration on the other Monopole baris out there, and what benefit does it offer?
Fascinating. I don't know if this extra octave vent is on other Couesnon baris, but it's certainly another example of how they were interested in improving the saxophone. Yamaha baris have 3 vents too; something they invented, supposedly. Maybe they got the idea from Couesnon. I wouldn't be surprised. Yamaha has copied at least one other thing from Couesnon.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Just to show what I mean here are some pics

First the usual "lower" octave vent

Here is the top of the instrument. The vents remain in colour and you will see the normal top pip on the left, but also the 3rd vent at the top of the body.

And finally the lever that operates the vent

Is this what Yamaha copied?

Dave - is your bari like this? Was this an unnecessary complication and of no benefit, or was it of use but made the mechanism too complicated to produce at a reasonable price, or to keep in regulation.

Or is this fairly standard for baris and I haven't seen enough to recognise it?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,597 Posts
I have a Conn bari from 1924 with an extra octave vent on the upper curl. I have also seen it on a 1925. I guess that idea has been around for a long time.

·
Registered
580 Posts
For no other reason than that I can, here is a picture of the family group.

·
7,359 Posts
Lovely collection!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts