Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah, I know there are a million threads on this, but it's really hard to filter out "bari" brand from "bari" sax. So apologies in advance for starting a new thread.

I'm looking for some recent opinions on these reeds, specifically on bari sax. The last time I played Bari brand reeds was in the early 80's. At that time, they were made of acrylic and cut my lip on my very open Berg on tenor. Plus they didn't sound all that great and felt weird, as if the vibrations were too intense and uncomfortable, tooth rattling for lack of a better term.

Fast forward about 30 years. I'm looking for a cheap, decent synthetic for my occasional big band bari playing. So I'm wondering how these feel/play on bari sax and if the material is any different these days (a little softer and less likely to cut my lip perhaps?). My bari mouthpiece (George M. Bundy Signature, medium open) isn't as open as my tenor (120), so pinch points that cut my lip on tenor won't be as bad.

I know other brands are probably better than Bari, but they're double the price. So I'd prefer the cheaper Bari if it works ok. As long as I can get a decent tone and good volume, similar to the Rico 3's I normally play, I'm good. Doesn't have to be exactly the same sound as cane.

Also, in terms of the weird feel of synthetics, is it something I'd probably get used to given enough time? Way back when I first tried them, I only played them for a couple of days before giving up.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Deleted.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I know what you mean. I tried Bari reeds (the brand) on tenor once and they cut my lip right up.
Never liked the sound or feel of them. Like you said, there just one piece of plastic.
If you look at Légère or Fibracell, they are constructed in a very complex way. Fibracell looks and feels like cane (to me that is), except from the plastic foil underneath and Légère looks like it has a woven pattern.
Both are nice reeds but more expensive than Bari. They also sound way better than Bari.
I’ve gotten extremely good results with Fibracell on baritone. A decent synthetic reed is never cheap.
You get what you pay for. If you pay peanuts, you get monkeys.
Besides, these synthetics last very long. On average it is as expensive as going through a box of cane reeds.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008,
3,891 Posts
I agree with Soulmate, the Fibracell reeds are worth the extra cost. For me playing bari more than the other saxes it has been way cheaper than cane reeds, and the response/feel is the most similar to cane. I am 100% sold on Fibracell reeds for bari - haven't used a cane reed in years!

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everybody. Sounds like Bari is just as bad as the used to be. I'm going to give Fibracell a try.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts