Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, what a horrible name for a mouthpiece company.I think I'll call my company "TENOR". Anyway, has anyone played the BARI brand mouthpiece? Any good? I found one in my mouthpiece drawer. It is for tenor.It appears to be gold plated [some silver showing thru] and says USA on one side and 105 on the other. I haven't played it yet because I don't have a lig to fit it. Plus, I tend away from high baffles. Any info appreciated.Thanks.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,887 Posts
I've always like their hard rubber pieces, especially on soprano. They play similar to a Meyer, only with a bit more edge. The metal ones are a lot like Bergs. They make two different models, but it sounds like you have the regular one.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,960 Posts
wolf "tayne" tannanbalmwhen ( he started another mpc company) sold is name rights to babbit so he had to come up with a diff name. seems like many of the old mpc greats all set up shop in south florida .otto link-bobby dukoff-the hites - and of course wolf tayne

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Dan! I had no idea that BARI was Wolfe Tayne. I did a search but can't find the company. Are they still around? Is Mr Wolfe Tayne still alive? Makes me want to get a lig and try this piece.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,030 Posts
I don't know if he is still alive. I last talked to him about 2 years ago as we had a common friend (Ben Herrod who built the FL Links) and at that time he still owned BARI. About a year ago it was sold and moved to Sarasota. His last name is spelled Tanninbaum.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,960 Posts
thanks for the correction bruce -if you google bari it comes up with a website and there address is diff from the ft laurd one

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow! This thing blows easy. I used a lig off a Selmer metal "jazz" alto mouthpiece. The altissimo on this piece is way easier than my Link but the bottom end is still full. However, I guess I'll die a Link man, there's just something about them I love. Guess I'll put the BARI up in marketplace.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Me like...

I have a Bari Hawk II for my '39 Hüller tenor and I really love it. It brings just enough brightness and edge to the booming vintage sound my horn has originally. Still not getting shrill or losing the core of the sound and no intonation or other problems. My horn is very similar look- and soundwise to Conn 10m:s I've tried, so Hawk II propably compliment quite well vintage American style axes if you're looking for a little funk/rock edge. Worth a try I think!

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
LBAjazz said:
Any good? I found one in my mouthpiece drawer.

I haven't played it yet because I don't have a lig to fit it. Plus, I tend away from high baffles. Any info appreciated.Thanks.
How did it get into your drawer? :scratch:

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I used to repair full time and do some buying and selling. I acquired a few pieces over the years, mostly by buying horns and keeping the mouthpieces when I resold the horns. I'm not sure where I got this one but I've had it at least 8 years most likely.I just recently started back repairing and I got all my stuff out of storage.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts