Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm looking at an Indiana tenor for sale local, have yet to see it in person but seems to look really nice. Previous owner delacquered the body because most of it was gone anyway, and replaced the pads. The entire horn was hand polished and not relacquered. The engraving on the bell is crisp. There is no Indian head or arrows, it only says "The Indian by Martin" which is a shame, it's a pretty bland looking bell.

Owner is selling for $400 firm. I will probably go try it out just out of curiosity but wanted some advice on this horn. I guess this is a pretty common model and probably on the lower end considering the minimal engraving?

The LH pinky cluster on these horns looks a bit challenging as well but I guess you get used to anything.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,497 Posts
The engraving doesn't necessarily effect the valuation at all. I believe Indiana models had 4 different engravings, depending on when they were made.

http://www.themartinstory.net/version7/models-indiana.php

These are good horns, and if it is fully repadded and cleaned up and such, and plays up and down easily...that's a GOOD price. People will call second-shelf vintage horns 'student' models...and that is really erroneous. Because in the day, that moniker wasn't used. They were...second-shelf horns, band horns, etc.
The meaning of 'student' today cannot be applied to vintage horns. By today's standards, a second-line horn from a quality maker such as this Indiana, or a King Cleve, Holton Collegiate, or a Conn Director...should pretty much be considered an 'intermediate' model when compared to contemporary saxes.

The only other consideration, then.... is the bare brass. I like 'em, personally.
But.
Two things. First, if it was a home-strip, did the guy scratch the heck out of it ? Or did he do it well ? Next.... they do take a bit more upkeep than a lacquered one:

http://www.cybersax.com/QA/Q&A_BareMetalSaxes.html

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Supposedly when the lacquer started wearing off, the owner removed the rest of it with hot water sand then hand polished everything. I wouldn't mind the extra upkeep. I'll go try this horn out and see how it performs. Thanks for the help!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts