Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm currently looking at a MVI, 170XXX, the only thing is that the lacquer was removed and it is now bare brass.

I'm wondering if this will create any problems down the road with use. Will the body corrode at all? Has anyone seen anything else happen because of there not being lacquer?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
3,383 Posts
There's lots of bare brass saxes out there, and they typically do fine if you take decent care of them and don't live in a hostile climate (like near the ocean). Yes, they corrode - that's basically what patina is - but unless it is accelerated in some way I suspect the horn would outlast you.

That being said, some metallurgists out there may offer more specific or perhaps even different advice.

Regards,

Pete

·
Banned
3,043 Posts
Hey guys,

I'm currently looking at a MVI, 170XXX, the only thing is that the lacquer was removed and it is now bare brass.

I'm wondering if this will create any problems down the road with use. Will the body corrode at all? Has anyone seen anything else happen because of there not being lacquer?
I have a PB Classic Tenor bare brass and its doing fine. I do take good care of it, and I do not live in an extreme climate as Pete refers to. You could email PB as he is extremely knowledgeable in these areas.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,070 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
My MK VI is mostly bare brass and I just make sure I keep it clean. I bought it last Feb and it has been played just about every day since with no real problems. I don't polish it, I just swab it out and wipe it down with a soft terry cloth towel and put it in the stand. other than a few water spots from drops I've missed it has been fine. I only live a couple of miles from the ocean and that hasn't seemed to cause any problems but I don't play it at the beach.

The only thing that I don't like about the bare brass is the smell. There have been times when I didn't wipe it off and the smell is a little stronger the next time I play. I think it is the sweat from my hands reacting with the brass that cause it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,498 Posts
Using a silverplate polishing cloth also works really, really well on bare brass.
Blitz and Leblanc have good ones....the kind with 2 different sheets stitched together.

If you ever had the inclination to really go for it, you could also take Hagerty100 cream to the entire horn (after disassembling it). That stuff is amazing...it will actually give the bare brass such lustre it looks lacquered....and is supposed to have some anti-tarnishing properties to it as well.

Smells like sh#t, however.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts