Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
3,204 Posts
I believe trums are drums?

It depends on the music you would play. I miss a chord instrument (guitar, piano, accordeon, ...), but that's not always necessary. It's just easier to "fill up".

If you want a real horn section, I would add a third instrument (trumpet, bariton, ...). However, also that is not necessary.

In the end, it all comes down to what you want to do with that band.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah meant drums srry about that:D
Music gonna be jazz and swing,meaby some cool ballads too:)
But if i cant find a bass player will piano help?it takes chords from bass but about rythm,bass is a rythm and main note player from bass chords

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
It'll work as well as your musicians are sophisticated. ;)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ty for help:Dbut then guitar,alt sax,tenor sax,bass and drums sound nice?or a trumpet too?it will be 3 notes chord then:Di dont know how nice it sounds?

·
Registered
44 Posts
if u wanted it sound real nice, u shud keep wat u got already, get a trumpet/trombone, bass and maybe a piano.

·
Registered
269 Posts
It depends what kind of style your are going for. You said you want swing, maybe some ballads, but if you want a revolution and completly revolutionaize the genre, do what you want man! You can play with an accordian if you want to (but please don't!). Trumpet would be nice to compliment the saxophone, and a trombone too. Something else would be a flute. The piano, guitar, & bass is what almost every band has.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:)i think it will be then 2alt,tenor,trumpet,guitar,bass,drums and piano.
But would it sound nice if 2-nd alt were secundary part player and sometimes solos with melodie too.We will get a 4 chord wiht horns and i think it sounds pretty nice.That composition sounds more like a swing one i think.But we will play jazz,swing,jazz ballads and meaby bebop too,and something from old times ragtimes or dixieland.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
26,013 Posts
I've actually done a few arrangements with just alto, tenor, bass and drums, and it can work. Songs like Peter Gunn, So What, or Chameleon, are tunes I've played this way. Having a really decent bass player certainly helps.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Jolle said:
In fact, our band does. Gives a unique sound, the public loves it. No, we don't play ragtime :D

One name : Astor Piazzolla. No, it's not the pizza-guy.
really? well what kind of style do you guys play? I've never been a fan of the accordian my my pops loves it.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Grumps said:
I've actually done a few arrangements with just alto, tenor, bass and drums, and it can work. Songs like Peter Gunn, So What, or Chameleon, are tunes I've played this way. Having a really decent bass player certainly helps.
I think you'd still need a piano player to sound fuller but Bass helps alot.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
3,204 Posts
mixture of a lot of things : mainly ska grooves with latino influences, a bit of klezmer scales, some chanson (think waltz), reggae, a little sniff of bluesy scales and some funk-breaks. There is some material on our myspace, but that's not really to be proud of...

on second thought : don't even go near that page for the time being... Recordings are awful, and I'm ashamed to have to admit that's me playing. I hate being recorded by people who think that pushing everything over the limit makes a sax sound cool. Especially when their tuning device turned out to be rubbish and they forgot to put off the delay of about 25ms on the replay of the recordings of the other instruments. Gives some very disturbing effects when listening later on...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts