Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone! :)

I'm quite new here and not even sure that I post this to the right place.
However I've been working on my project for quite a while and now it seems
I have some good results. Now I'm ready to share it and I'm really interested in your opinion!

I'm making Bamboo Saxophones. :)

I know there are some similar products on the market, but I developed my own type of mouthpiece which has a more "sax-like" sound and timbre.

You can find my instruments here:
http://www.bamboosaxes.com/

I also started to sell these instruments, hope you will like it.
I have some videos too and recorded sound samples for each instrument,
so you may know better the instrument before you buy it. :)

Any replies and comments are highly appreciated!
My email adress is: [email protected].

Cheers! :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
19,000 Posts
Nice website, I like website layouts where all of the info is just there quickly without having to jump around.

Congrats on your business. Your prices are certainly good.

IMHO, I find the smallest one actually to sound the most sax-like. The sounclip could actually almost be an Alto if nobody had told me otherwise.

The larger ones still tend to sound clarinet-ish.

Also, dunno if you can work on this or not, but the intonation on some of 'em could use some tweaking.

Nevertheless, I always respect anyone who can craft a musical instrument. So, kudos.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, JayeSF for the positive response. :) It really helps me!

I'm glad that you mentioned my smallest one because I had some concerns about it.
It has quite a good sound, but in reality it is almost uncomfortably loud (that's why I added a note to it).

Indeed I have some intonation errors in the recordings.
My instrument's are tuned fairly well (with an electronic tuner).
But some of them, for example the smallest one at the highest notes,
can sound out of tune, if you don't know the instrument well.

So I just don't want them to sound better than they actually will,
when a beginner starts to play them. That's why I left some intonation errors on some places.
But I think a good player can play them perfectly clearly. :)

For me, the last (and cheapest) sounds the most "sax-like". (#11-11)
It has the "flattest" and most "sax-like" mouthpiece, if you have time listen it from 00:42. (the last part)
I'm in love with that sound. But it tends to "growl" on its own right and has some extra "noises" at certain notes.
That's why it is cheaper..

Thank you so much for your comments! :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
19,000 Posts
I am curious, Joxys...why do you suppose the smallest one is by far the loudest ? is it just a matter of the register it plays in ?

Do you think there is anything you can alter in the spec/design...because it really is the most Sax-like.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I bought a bamboo sax years ago, but it had a manufactured hard rubber mouthpiece. I still have it but don't play it much. It sounds a good bit like an alto sax. I haven't seen one like yours with the mouthpiece built-in as it were. The only down side to the built-in mouthpiece is, of course, no way to make much of an adjustment to the sound except with the reed and embouchure. But for something to haul to the beach or throw in a suitcase, it is very appealing and certainly inexpensive. I may consider trying one myself. Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, JayeSF! ;)

Well, it has exactly the same mouthpiece as the others from #11-07 to #11-11, so you might be right it is just the regsiter.
I think the long body "dampens" the sound or at least those frequencies that you like in the small one. :)
But also this is the key to make a good instrument (I think), because that makes me able to select the frequencies which are supported by the material, by simple thinnig the material/walls of the bamboo till it has the desired timbre.

Well, to be honest, there's one problem with the small one, it is too small! :)
The holes on the highest notes are too close, and it is a bit uncomfortable to cover them while playing.
It is possible, but for the first time it is uncomfortable compared to the others.
I think it will be good for children. But it is playble for adults too, if you can accept some discomfort...

Xaphoon has a good idea to solve this problem, they altered the scale, so the holes are in different positions,
and this way they were able to place the holes with more distance between them. But they don't use the major scale
of the lowest note. I chose to make bigger instruments, so I don't have to alter the scale...

- - -

Thank you Soul Patch Paul!
I agree with everything that you wrote and thanks for the positive response! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts