Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Seeker Of A Clever Title.
3,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a new case for my New Aristocrat alto (which actually still isn't here, don't know what's taking junkdude so long), and I have four canidates to decide between.

1. Bam softpack: seems to be a well made case, a little on the expensive side, and I don't know how much storage it has

2. SKB 440 deluxe: My top canidate as of right now, but I don't like the fact that the mouthpiece is under the neck, if it is metal it might scratch the neck, and it doesn't seem to have much space for spare mouthpieces I like to carry around

3. Protec contoured: Pretty nice, but I kinda don't like the fact that it's secured by a zipper, and I don't know how much space it has for extra mouthpieces. Also, another sotwer reported that the slot for the neck was too shallow and the neck could come out and scratch or dent the sax. Also kinda don't like the soft exterior.

4. J. Winter flight case: I don't know too much about this one, but seems to have a slot for the neck and mouthpiece, and I don't know how much other space it has. I've read that it is made for large belled saxes like keilwerths, so does this mean a sax with a smaller bell will not fit well?

Which one best fits an alto with split bell keys? Which one will provide the best protection? Also, space is very important, so which one of these has the most space for reeds, tuners, neckstraps, mouthpieces, etc? Thanks for answering.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Protec will fit just about anything, lots of space for extras. I have a king super 20 tenor and it has an underslug octave mechanism that didn't like to fit in the neck slot. If you don't like the neck slot buy a KIWI bag.

stefane

·
SOTW Administrator
26,204 Posts
I can't speak about the others, but I use the protec contoured case for my alto. I've never had the problem that others have reported with their necks. I've seen others use them with altos with split bell keys. The zippers are very reliable. The outside storage is big enough to hold mouthpieces reeds, etc. and maybe even a flute. You can also get backpack straps.

·
3,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hakukani said:
I can't speak about the others, but I use the protec contoured case for my alto. I've never had the problem that others have reported with their necks. I've seen others use them with altos with split bell keys. The zippers are very reliable. The outside storage is big enough to hold mouthpieces reeds, etc. and maybe even a flute. You can also get backpack straps.
Ok, but the thing I'm kinda worried about is that if I put a hard rubber piece in the outer pocket, and I kinda bump the case into something, couldn't it break? Oh yeah, I remember the guy was talking about the newer protecs. Do you have one of the newer or older ones?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
zxcv: Pro-Tec . . . you are worrying too much.

I have my Ref 54 alto in a leather Pro-tec contoured case. PLENTY of room.

I have my Big B alto in a ballistic nylon Pro-Tec countoured case. Plenty of room.

My TT alto fits in both.
DAVE

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008,
3,891 Posts
The SKB probably wont work with the split bell keys, I havent used a Winter or BAM case.

I would say the protec is your best bet. For the neck, I bought myself some Crown Royal, had some fun, and had a perfect neck storage bag. Neck in bag, bag down the bell and you're all set! Your neck is safe and not going anywhere.

As for your conccern over breaking a mpc in the side pocket, you could put them each in a sock or something similar, roll it up and you should be just fine. I have my bari and one of my altos in Protecs, doesnt give me any problems, and I don't worry. I had a Brilhardt Tonalin rattle around in the side pouch for a few months, not knowing it was there, and it escaped without a scratch. In my bari case a C* for bari has been bouncing around for two years, hasnt been damaged by that yet!

·
SOTW Administrator
26,204 Posts
zxcvbnm said:
Ok, but the thing I'm kinda worried about is that if I put a hard rubber piece in the outer pocket, and I kinda bump the case into something, couldn't it break? Oh yeah, I remember the guy was talking about the newer protecs. Do you have one of the newer or older ones?

I've had it about five years--taken it on planes, etc. I haven't broken a mouthpiece since 1989...and it wasn't in the case!:shock:

·
3,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, but I'm still a bit paranoid (mouthpieces aren't cheap). Is there anything that holds mouthpieces and fits down the bell of a sax?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,968 Posts
Kiwi makes bags for necks and mouthpieces, though a sock or Crown Royal bag would also do. There is a difference between the latest Protec countoured cases and the one that was out about five years ago (that also had the neck and mouthpiece slot). The mouthpiece lays on its side in the newer model, and I guess one might worry about a thinner metal piece finding its way out of the slot when jostled around. The neck slot isn't very snug with the new ones either and I much prefer the earlier model.

·
3,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh yeah, is there any way I could get one of the older Protecs? If not, Is there any way I could stretch the mouthpiece slot bigger?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,968 Posts
The Kiwi bag I have holds a neck and mouthpiece in separate slots, though they make another for a neck and mouthpiece connected. I have the new and old alto case, and a newer tenor model. The neck slot for tenor won't fit my underslung Silversonic neck, so I keep it in the bell in the Kiwi bag. I've thought of altering the neck slot in the case, but there didn't appear to be an easy way to do so without seriously mangling it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008,
3,891 Posts
Just get some old socks(wash em first!)

One mpc, One sock and you are all set!

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I'd go with Pro Tec, works for me. If I put it in the outside I have my mouthpiece in a cap so as long as I don't plan on throwing my horn at walls it's good...and besides that mine also has a small space to set the mouthpiece in on the inside and I also have a little BG mouthpiece bag that fits in the bell.

SKB makes nice durable cases too though...

·
Registered
552 Posts
zxcvbnm said:
What's better about the older SKB's?
It has more protection than the pro-tec ,smaller and IMO looks better

But on the negative side there's less room to put reeds, strap and things like that ...

·
Registered
219 Posts
I am cautious about Pro Tec cases. I cannot speak for the newer ones, but I have a Pro Tec case thats probably 3 or 4 models ago and my Aristocrat alto moved around on the inside to the point that my body tube got bowed. I'm fortunate enough to be near a wonderful repair tech who will be fixing my instrument shortly but it's no fun to be playing on a messed up horn. From my experience, and that I know of others, I would highly recommend a BAM Trekking case (I don't think the soft packs fit.) They're expensive, but if you have a nice instrument, it's probably worth not having it get destroyed.

Just to reiterate, my experience was with an older model Pro Tec case - the case was made about 5 years ago I would imagine - I cannot comment, from personal experience, on the quality of their current line.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Folks, where's your sense of adventure? ;) I can't believe some of what I'm reading. Sorry if this comes across as harsh but what's wrong with a little common sense? Don't expect everything to be done for you. No room inside the case for neck and mpc? Put them down the bell and use the internal slots for reed holder and neck strap or whatever. Sax moves around inside the case? Get little blocks of foam rubber and place them strategically. Come on folks. You're saxophonists. Improvise. :)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts