Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm looking for a new case and have sort of narrowed it down to the BAM softpack tenor case. My question is, will my vintage Buescher Aristocrat with bell keys on the left side fit it OK? Right now I use an old protec which fits both my MKVI and the 'Crat (not at the same time, of course :)).

Thanks in advance. Any help on this would be appreciated before I jump in and buy one of these.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I own one & I don't think it would fit the Aristocrat. From what I understand, they used a modern Selmer to make the mold for the interior of the case.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,000 Posts
I have'56 Martin tenor in the older version of this case and it fits fine.
Try before you buy.

My Martin alto is in a Cronkhite leather gig bag and no problems there either, maybe look into that?

·
23,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I own one & I don't think it would fit the Aristocrat. From what I understand, they used a modern Selmer to make the mold for the interior of the case.
The thing is my Aristocrat does fit in the same case (Protec) as my Selmer. But then again, maybe the BAM is more of a 'specific fit' than the Protec?? Worst case scenario I guess I could use the BAM for the Selmer and keep the 'Crat in the Protec. But I'd rather they be interchangeable.

Has anybody here tried a vintage American horn with left bell keys in a BAM case?

Benny, is the older version any different than the new one?

·
3,000 Posts
The thing is my Aristocrat does fit in the same case (Protec) as my Selmer. But then again, maybe the BAM is more of a 'specific fit' than the Protec?? Worst case scenario I guess I could use the BAM for the Selmer and keep the 'Crat in the Protec. But I'd rather they be interchangeable.

Has anybody here tried a vintage American horn with left bell keys in a BAM case?

Benny, is the older version any different than the new one?
The size/thickness of the case around the horn was much bigger

·
2,309 Posts
JL,
Call Pro Tec and ask them if their tenor "Max Standard" is the same as their alto Standard Pro Pac Case. I know that for alto the Standard Pro Pac was specifically made for horns with left sided bell keys. I have one for a Big B and the "hold points" are perfect, no part of the interior interferes with any of the key work.

Their website does not show a Standard Pro Pac case for tenor anymore.

thadnoland is correct about BAM/Selmer. BAM uses Selmer instruments for the molding of all their woodwind cases. They have a long association with each other. They also make all of Selmer branded cases.

JR

·
23,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the responses, I appreciate it. I don't think my Buescher is any bigger than the Selmer. It just has the bell keys on the left side. So maybe I should re-phrase the question. Has anyone here tried putting a horn with left side bell keys in the BAM case? Seems like if the foam is nice and flexible it should work (or not?).

Thanks Randy, maybe I'll check out the Pro Pac case.

I'm looking for something light, but sturdy, which is why I've been leaning toward the BAM.

·
2,309 Posts
Thanks for the responses, I appreciate it. I don't think my Buescher is any bigger than the Selmer. It just has the bell keys on the left side. So maybe I should re-phrase the question. Has anyone here tried putting a horn with left side bell keys in the BAM case? Seems like if the foam is nice and flexible it should work (or not?).

Thanks Randy, maybe I'll check out the Pro Pac case.

I'm looking for something light, but sturdy, which is why I've been leaning toward the BAM.
I can tell you for sure that an alto or tenor with left sided bell keys will not fit into a BAM Softpack and probably none of their other models as well, just go to their site and read in all the descriptions;

"Inside: Inside cradle made of high density polyurethane foam, injected around a mold taking on the exact shape of the instrument and protecting it against thermal shocks, reinforced all around."

JR

·
23,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Thanks Grumpie! The Eastman case looks perfect. As a bonus, there's a shop near me that carries them. I'll check it out.

Yeah, Randy, looks like if I go with the BAM case it will have to be 'dedicated' to my VI. I'm going to take a look at the Eastman. Thanks again...

·
23,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After doing a bit more research, it would appear the Eastman cases are not that sturdy. Guess I'll either get the BAM case and just use it for the VI, or maybe get another Protec.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have a Buescher Big B Tenor and i keep it in my Bam classic case (the older model shaped case) Bam cases adjust on the inside to the shape of the horn. I've had 3 completely different shaped horns in there and they all fit fine.

·
23,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey swinginnice, that's what I wanted to hear. But in any case (no pun intended) I can use the BAM for my VI even if the Buescher doesn't fit, so I think I'll order one. The Buescher can live in the Protec. I need a new case partly because I don't like keeping the Buescher in its original case, which is pretty much falling apart.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
7,866 Posts
My Leblanc System would not fit in a Bam softpack. It has left hand bell keys, including the C# which is right below the B. I bought a Protec XL Deluxe which was great but too heavy to drag around all day. In the end I got a Winter case. The horn fits well, and it's light and easy to carry. The horn does move around a bit, so I use some extra padding, or a towel.

·
23,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks warp. Of course a Leblanc is pretty unique so no surprise it doesn't fit.

I ordered the BAM case because it will be primarily (or maybe exclusively) for my VI, which I know will fit well. If the Buescher also fits that will be a bonus, but if not, I can keep the Buescher in my Protec case.

I'll report on the case here when I get it just in case anyone else is wondering.

·
23,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok I got the BAM softpack case. It's a very good case and fits my MKVI exactly. Which means Randy was right about this particular model and my Buescher won't fit. No horn with left side bell keys would fit. And I'd go so far to say only Selmers and "Selmer clones" (most modern horns, I guess) would likely fit. Swinginnice, I guess the older model is a bit roomier.

The good news is I have a case for my VI and it's a perfect fit. Seems to be pretty sturdy and the foam part is thick enough to protect the horn well. I'll keep my Buescher in the ProTec case where it fits well.

To anyone (with a Selmer or similar horn) who's looking for a light-weight, low profile case, with reasonably good protection, I'd say the BAM is a winner. If you have a vintage American horn or want to fit different horns, then it won't work. Also, not much room for anything but the horn & mpc; there's a small compartment for reeds, neck strap and such. A Protec case, with its outside pockets has a lot more room for extra items, which could be good or not so good if you accumulate too much 'debris.' I think a Protec might be a better value overall. But I'm happy with this case for my Selmer.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts