Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a new Softpack and I have trouble putting both straps on so I can carry it on my back. I'm not sure about the correct terminology, but I will attach some pictures as well.

So there are two rings on the front of the case (near the zipper) where I can attach the latches of one of the straps. However there are no rings on the back of the case (the opposite side) where the second strap should be attached. I'm not sure if I'm missing something, or if this particular case has a flaw.

I would appreciate your input, thanks!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,938 Posts
Re: BAM Softpack straps

I have a SoftPack case too - it is not a backpack case.

Did your case come with two straps? That’s strange to me.

I just looked at the BAM website, and sure enough - you’re right. Two straps. It’s still strange, because my SoftBack certainly only has two strap rings. You can put as many straps on it as you care, but it won’t be a backpack.

Bummer...

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I have a SoftPack case too - it is not a backpack case.

Did your case come with two straps? That’s strange to me.

I just looked at the BAM website, and sure enough - you’re right. Two straps. It’s still strange, because my SoftBack certainly only has two strap rings. You can put as many straps on it as you care, but it won’t be a backpack.

Bummer...
This is not my first Softpack. I had another one last year that definitely could be carried on the back (two straps), but I can't remember where exactly those strap rings were placed. And yes it came with two straps; why would they provide two straps if you can't carry it on your back?

·
32,938 Posts

I checked their website as well and here is what they say:

"OUTSIDE FEATURES :
Side handle
2 comfortable neoprene anti-slip backpack straps with security screw hook"

Did they change something recently? And if so why provide two "backpack straps"?
That's what I wrote as well. I, too, am thrown by two straps with no place to attach the second. My SoftPack came with only one strap, and attachment points for only one strap - that works (unless you are hoping for a backpack).

I suggest you contact whomever sold you the case, and ask them. If there are changes, then you may have received a "transitional" product - or else the marketing department is just not in sync with the product.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,430 Posts
I believe the strap works by having the top end with the shoulder pad across one shoulder, then crossing the body in front and connecting to the lower end of the case on the other side of the body. So there would be sense in having two straps unless one is of a different size than the other or is simply a spare.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, thanks for the thoughts. I found out that the older version has only 2 strap rings and as such is not really meant to be a backpack; you were right Dr.G. The newer ones do have 4 rings. I don't know when they changed that. Still it doesn't makes sense at all to deliver older versions with 2 straps, it's just confusing and no, it's not possible to attach both straps on the same rings.

I will send it back and try to get the newer version. I need to be able to ride the bike with it. Also the inside padding seems slightly harder than I remember from the one I had previously - turns out that one was the newer version. Or perhaps I'm just bitter now.

Anyway, if you order one you might want to keep that in mind.

·
32,938 Posts
Ok, thanks for the speculation. I found out that the older version has only 2 strap rings and as such is not really meant to be a backpack; you were right Dr.G. The newer ones do have 4 rings. I don't know when they changed that. Still it doesn't makes sense at all to deliver older versions with 2 straps, it's just confusing and no, it's not possible to attach both straps on the same rings.

I will send it back and try to get the newer version. I need to be able to ride the bike with it. Also the inside padding seems slightly harder than I remember from the one I had previously - turns out that one was the newer version. Or perhaps I'm just bitter now.

Anyway, if you order one you might want to keep that in mind.
Thanks for sharing that updated information, Alex. I looked at the BAM website and didn't see the four rings in the images for the SoftPack case. I never thought that I'd want a backpack case until I got a horn that was already in one. I'm sold on the concept now.

Good luck on getting the right case.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,768 Posts
My newer Softpack definitely has four strap rings and came with two straps. I don't find it to be terribly comfortable as a backpack, but if I had to carry it on the bike, I'd definitely be able to do that.

·
32,938 Posts
My newer Softpack definitely has four strap rings and came with two straps. I don't find it to be terribly comfortable as a backpack, but if I had to carry it on the bike, I'd definitely be able to do that.
My Cabine case also had the four-point harness - and was NOT comfortable. I think the SoftPack would be much better, although not as comfortable as the Trekking case.

·
Registered
809 Posts
FWIW, my soprano sax lives in a BAM Trekking case. The backpack strap assembly is sturdy enough to withstand lots of pulling & tugging, the case is well-balanced when strapped on, & in general the rig feels about as comfortable as a bulky rectangular padded case holding a brass tube can feel.

I often go grocery shopping on the way home from one weekly jazz jam. Since no sane musician would ever for one minute leave a sax in a car, the horn in its Trekking case rides on my back all thru the supermarket. If other shoppers think this looks strange, let 'em eat cake; we sax players do what we must, proudly.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2008-2017
2,234 Posts
Up to my knowledge, the Softpack (I have a few) is designed to be carried with only one strap. Not backpack. Now, it is correct, now the webpage says it comes with two.... Just can't understand why.

I am an altoist, and for me, the backpack does not make sense for an alto, unless we arte talking about a bigger case than Softpack or Cabin.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
I looked at the BAM website and didn't see the four rings in the images for the SoftPack case.
Not surprised pictures in BAM's website are not up to date. E.g. their Cabine pics still show with the old latches while they changed the design a couple years ago already.

·
2,234 Posts
Yes, I guess it's right. But, I do not see this case fit as a backpack.

Not surprised pictures in BAM's website are not up to date. E.g. their Cabine pics still show with the old latches while they changed the design a couple years ago already.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Yes, I guess it's right. But, I do not see this case fit as a backpack.
Why not? I have 2 of the old design (single strap). But I also have a Cabine with 2 straps that works fine as a backpack. I use it often. The Softpack, if anything will be a bit softer on your back, as others said. I'd love for mine 2 to have the extra hook.

·
Registered
Primarily Tenor with occasional Alto
1,547 Posts
Will report my findings when my new BAM Softpack case arrives. I contacted the dealer first to verify that there were 2 rings on both top and bottom of case so case can be carried in back-pack mode before ordering.

·
2,234 Posts
I received and email from BAM. It states that now it comes with two straps, for Back Pack use.

·
2,234 Posts
My point is that IMO an alto might not require to be backpack and also, I do not know if it has the extra rings for that.
Why not? I have 2 of the old design (single strap). But I also have a Cabine with 2 straps that works fine as a backpack. I use it often. The Softpack, if anything will be a bit softer on your back, as others said. I'd love for mine 2 to have the extra hook.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts