Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered one of these from my local store and should have it within a day or two.
BAM Nashville Tenor
Has anyone reviewed one of these here? Would folks be interested in a review?
Is this the right section of the forum to post such a review?
Let me know what you think, thanks!

·
Registered
84 Posts
The case looks great. I would sweat buckets carrying my horn in any kind of gig bag. But I put it on my back on a bike in Toronto. I use a BAM Cabine and love it.

Andy

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,908 Posts
Please let us know what you think. I had my eye on this, they’re nice looking but I was worried about protection

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Yes interested in your review although I’d likely never use a gig bag myself. You never know when you’ll bang it against something. The savings quickly awash away against repair costs.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Don't forghet about the possibility of something banging against your instrument. I've seen more than a few guitar players smash their cases into doorways, pianos, furniture etc.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don't forghet about the possibility of something banging against your instrument. I've seen more than a few guitar players smash their cases into doorways, pianos, furniture etc.
Yep - totally man. Like how about... another musician??? I'll provide a thorough commentary on the safety / protection aspects.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Yep - totally man. Like how about... another musician??? I'll provide a thorough commentary on the safety / protection aspects.
I reckon more than a few of us here will readily consume your opinion - good reviews of gear are always appreciated :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
I've got one of these, I use it to commute from my house to the repair shop I work at, about 5ks by bicycle. Suspends the horn quite nicely, there's a void around the body of the sax so a slight knock will only indent the bag, won't affect the horn.

I've been carting around a series 1 Buescher Aristocrat Tenor and it's stayed in reasonable regulation.

I chuck the horn in a Hiscox whenever I'm in a car or traveling to a gig. If I ever have a spill on the bike I'd much rather be wearing a gig bag than a Hiscox.

As with all bam stuff, it's well made, plenty of padding, beautiful design and a bit overpriced

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
It looks very thick.

By the time you make a gig bag at all protective, haven't you basically reached the size of a compact shaped hard shell case?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
alto: 82Zii/Medusa/Supreme, tenor: Medusa, bari: b-901, sop, sc-990
7,556 Posts
It looks like it would be very comfortable to use as a backpack. More comfortable than the other designs I’ve seen. Light weight as well. I used to have a suspension-style alto case (not Bam) and it was excellent.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I'll be very interested to gauge the economic value for what you get, relatively speaking. If I shop online at Matthew's or Thomann, I can order a BAM Selmer Light Case or various other BAM cases that are legit cases - and are backpack-able - in or around the same price range. I'll also be looking at projected longevity - the potential service life of these leather straps and buckles on the pockets in particular - compared to models that just use zippers and velcro. I've had some luggage and messenger bags with all manner of straps and buckles that lasted longer than I even wanted them to, and then others that broke or loosened out too much. I mean - hey - the backpack straps attach to small metal loops fastened to the case via a sewn-on leather attachment point. They better be robust... My touch points are going to be: Level of protection, fit for the instrument, security (if any) build and material quality, comfort / weight / bulk and lastly: Relative value / Are there any comparable products out there I would want instead or liken this one to. I'll try to get some good pictures and am toying around with the idea of a short video.

·
Registered
83 Posts
It looks very thick.

By the time you make a gig bag at all protective, haven't you basically reached the size of a compact shaped hard shell case?
It is bigger in volume than even my Hiscox. I think the main advantage is comfortability while using it as a backpack. Straps work well and it's light weight

1 - 16 of 16 Posts