Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought one of these cases about 6 months ago. Within the first month one of the latches stopped working properly. It is not exactly broken, but it will not close. The case was not damaged or dropped so there is no reason I can think of why this happens. If I lived in France I could just take the case back to BAM, but California is too far away. Has anyone else here had a similar problem or know how to fix or replace a latch?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,006 Posts
I've got the same case - had it for about four years. Almost as soon as I bought it, one of the latches stopped working properly. It wouldn't catch on the tongue piece when closing it. All I have to do to make it work is to push it in slightly towards the case when closing it and it catches OK. I don't know if your latch has exactly the same problem, but now I never even think about this, it's automatic for me to press it as I close it and it's a one-handed job. None of the three other latches has a problem.

Other than that minor issue with the latch the BAM is a superb case. But whether it is worth the very high price is a personal decision.

Rhys

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Saxus Envious Curmudgeon
3,860 Posts
I had some difficulty with the latches and shot some WD-40 on it and wa-la! No more problems. They work like a charm now. Try that soy. Rhys, sounds like a different issue for yours.

·
7,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, but my latch actually came apart. It won't close any way and juts outward from the case.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,484 Posts
You should try to contact the company, maybe they can do something for you.

And... guess what case I'm NOT buying for my bari...

·
Registered
Soprano, Alto, Tenor, Bari and Flute, if you bend my arm > Clarinet
1,127 Posts
I bought one, got it delivered and as soon as I looked it over I could see the case was fine but the hardware was junk, I shipped it back the next day and bought an SKB for $229 delivered with killer hardware... go figure...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,323 Posts
I thought the latches on the SKB were plastic?

·
7,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You should try to contact the company, maybe they can do something for you. and... guess what case I'm NOT buying for my bari...
You're right I should contact the BAM company. Despite the latch, I'm still happy with the case. The SBK is heavier and doesn't have the front handle. They are both good cases for the baritone.

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist and Saxophonistic Art
6,260 Posts
BAM WILL FIX IT.....WRITE THEM ASAP AND THEY WILL SOLVE IT.

The lady in Jersey, is very cool and they have been 100% on repairs.

·
7,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay it's been over 3 weeks since I contacted BAM in New Jersey and very nicely told them of my problem. No reply.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Keep trying I am in Puerto Rico and I have both cases for alto and tenor in carbon and tweed. The woman in Nj is very cool and responsible. I received my tenor hightech case in july in three days via usps. Maybe they are busy but try again. I think I have her business card I will find the info and post it for you. Best wishes.

sent from Mikey's Super Inspire 4G

·
7,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Mikeysaxcat. I will try those.

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
I bought one of these cases about 6 months ago. Within the first month one of the latches stopped working properly. It is not exactly broken, but it will not close. The case was not damaged or dropped so there is no reason I can think of why this happens. If I lived in France I could just take the case back to BAM, but California is too far away. Has anyone else here had a similar problem or know how to fix or replace a latch?
I have some really great latches that I can send you no charge but it may take me a little time to find them. Otherwise Frees sells latches for cases. You can also lookup latches for cases and you'll find all of the companies that sell them. What you have to do is drill out the pop rivits that holds them in. Pop rivits are those round things that replace screws but they're much more solid but in order to take one out you have to drill it out. Then you have to put a new one in and you ca get a pop rivit gun at the hardware store and you can also buy the rivits there. The rivit has to be the size of the hole. You slide the rivit in then insert the rivit into the guy and pull the trigger and it draws it back and cuts off the stem. It's really easy.

Phil Barone

·
Registered
1 Posts
My BAM Hightech bari case latches lasted about 5 years before the internal leaf springs started to break, so the latches won't stay open when you are trying to close the case, and you need several extra hands to hold them all open at once. The leaf springs fatigue with use and eventually weaken and break. Considering the number of cycles the latches go through each week, 5 years isn't bad, and replacing the latches restores the case to new functionality.

I called Bam support in New Jersey < http://www.bamcases.com/en/contact/bam-us/ > and ordered new latches from Carole Boutry there. They cost $5 each (plus USPS shipping).

To install, you'll need pliers, a drill, a Pop Rivet tool, and a hot glue gun. Pull back the inside foam liner to expose the back of the pop rivets (a putty knife or other tool may be needed if the liner doesn't pull back easily), carefully drill out just the rivet heads from the outside, and pull the back of the rivets out from the inside with pliers. Install the new latch with the matching black pop rivets they include (reinstall or add new washers on the back side of the rivets before popping them in place), and finally reattach the liner with hot glue. Good as new.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts