Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A lot of talk of cases recently. I've been searching as well for a MK VI tenor case. Anyone try the BAM FRANCE LA DEFENSE CABINE TENOR SAX CASE? It's pricey at $435, but that's ok if it's worth it. It seems to check off several on my "needs" list.

1. Compact
2. Sturdy
3. Secure closure (4 Latches)
4. Backpack style

Not crazy about the brushed aluminum finish, but function over style every time!

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Don't have experience with that particular model, but just wanted to chime in to let you know that you can get it for a bit cheaper from Matthews Muziek:

https://www.matthewsmuziek.nl/en/bam-case-tenor-saxophone-la-defense-cabine-def4012sa.html

About $350 all-in (they don't charge tax for shipments to the US). Shipping is pretty fast, too (about 3-5 days in my experience). I bought a BAM trekking from them very recently. Also, you can contact them and ask if they can offer an even better price than the ones published on their website and often they will work with you to give you a better deal.

Alternatively, if you have a Citicard credit card that offers the benefit (double cashback, ThankYou, etc. -- check the terms for the one you own) and want to buy locally, you can buy it from a US seller and price match to Matthews. Citi will be discontinuing their price match program effective September 1, so there's still time.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I have that same case (purchased from Matthwesmuziek) and so far so good. Seems very solid. Case has accumulated a few scratches but no big deal.

No real storage space to speak of if you need in case storage. I like having 4 locks.

The locks themselves feel dainty though. Unsure of how they will fare long term. My only reservation with the case. My locks do not look like the locks in the photo. Definitely plastic.

I use it sans straps. I have a big Ogio roller case that I have pretty much everything in. Bam case, Mackie Freeplay 400 powered monitor, sax stand, wireless mic setup, cables, hand percussion, notepad etc.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/ogio-rig-9800

It’s been on one transcon uneventful flight in the overhead bin.

Not sure of the fit for you, Woody as IIRC you’re playing Keilwerth. I’ve had a VI and my regular daily - SA80 III in it so far..

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,218 Posts
A lot of talk of cases recently. I've been searching as well for a MK VI tenor case. Anyone try the BAM FRANCE LA DEFENSE CABINE TENOR SAX CASE? It's pricey at $435, but that's ok if it's worth it. It seems to check off several on my "needs" list.

1. Compact
2. Sturdy
3. Secure closure (4 Latches)
4. Backpack style

Not crazy about the brushed aluminum finish, but function over style every time!
Don’t worry about the finish, there was a string of complaints shortly after the case came out about the finish coming off too easily!

+1 re Matthews Muziek. If it is in stock, they are quick and inexpensive. High marks for their customer service people.

Regards,

George

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
1,146 Posts
+1 more for Matthews Muziek....bought a case that didn’t fit, return was quick and easy, great folks to deal with.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Woody, I thought Bam Cabine LA defense was just a Bam Cabine with an “LA defense” exterior. So then you could get whatever Bam Cabine case version you wanted.

·
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Woody, I thought Bam Cabine LA defense was just a Bam Cabine with an “LA defense” exterior. So then you could get whatever Bam Cabine case version you wanted.
Ot appears the LA defense has 4 latches compared to 3 on the regular cabine. I CANNOT BELIEVE THEY'D USE PLASTIC LATCHES!!!!!! You've cat to be kitten me! How stupid is that? I have a Winter Greenline that I just returned because of that.cI have an old Greenline that had metal twist lock lathes, so I assumed the new one would be the same. BTW, Matthe,s doesn't carry the Defense case. Just the Cabine, which has 3 latches.

Oh, and backpack style is a must! I guess I'll order one and try it out. I'll report back. I can't believe getting a small and lightweight Tenor formed case would be so challenging.

·
Registered
3,181 Posts
La defense has 4 latches but it is the old style that pops open very easily. I have an older BAM alto case with these latches. they are metal but not well designed to stay shut.
I use their new Cabine model (black) with 3 plastic latches and these are much better. sure they are plastic, but they are very sturdy and stay closed much better.
I've been carrying my tenor in a black Cabine for 1+ year now (used a WJ for the previous 20 years). couldn't be happier with it.
I believe Chris Potter and Bob Reynolds are a couple professional players that regularly use this case too, for reference.

·
Registered
Selmer Balanced Action Tenor Saxophone, Powell Flute
3,602 Posts
La defense has 4 latches but it is the old style that pops open very easily. I have an older BAM alto case with these latches. they are metal but not well designed to stay shut.
I use their new Cabine model (black) with 3 plastic latches and these are much better. sure they are plastic, but they are very sturdy and stay closed much better.
I've been carrying my tenor in a black Cabine for 1+ year now (used a WJ for the previous 20 years). couldn't be happier with it.
I believe Chris Potter and Bob Reynolds are a couple professional player that regularly use this case too, for reference.
The new La Defense we received at the shop as well as my Paris Limited Edition Cabine has 4 of the new plastic style clip latches, not the older metal style. They have updated it. April was the last time we got one in. We sold it right away and are waiting for another.

I don't believe any of the Cabines use the old latches anymore.

Best!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wasn't that case I linked to the La defense?
It indeed was. I just did a search on the Matthew site and it didn't turn up. Thanks for the link. I'll order it today give it and Matthew's a try. Hopefully it has the new latches. I see a few places have it listed as backorder. Hopefully the stores with existing inventory have the new latches.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Woody, you seem to be correct about the standard Cabine. There are also a few other Cabine cases that have the four latches for tenor. The Panther Cabine for example has four latches. There is also a Le Etoule.

·
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just an update; Matthew's showed them in stock, but did not have one. Several others did as well with the same results. I was lucky enough to find one, their last one, at Prowinds. Not the cheapest price, but they had it in stock. Looks like the factory won't have more till late oct/nov.

I received it in a few days, so it was nice to get when I returned from my trip. It's a bit heavier then I wanted. Biggest complaint; there is literally no room inside for even a neck strap.Unless someone can clue me in to how that works.

I ws also unaware of the e'toile model. I guess I'm put of the loop. Much moire classic look then the brushed aluminum.

·
Registered
3,181 Posts
You store the neck strap in the compartment under the bell. There is plenty of room. I store there:

neck swab
body swab
neck strap
cork grease
mouthpiece swab
pencil
4-reed case

Just put a cloth (or the swab cloth) over everything to prevent them from flying around in the case.

Mouthpiece goes in its dedicated compartment. Neck goes in the bell.

IMG_8595.jpg
(added picture)

·
Registered
Selmer Balanced Action Tenor Saxophone, Powell Flute
3,602 Posts
You store the neck strap in the compartment under the bell. There is plenty of room. I store there:

neck swab
body swab
neck strap
cork grease
mouthpiece swab
pencil
4-reed case

Mouthpiece goes in its dedicated compartment. Neck goes in the bell.
This is what I do too

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 55 Posts