Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am looking for a shoulder (or backpack) able case to carry my YAS-23. Given my budget 150-200$ at what is seems to be available in the store around here (browsing their website) I pre-selected these two and would like to hear your opinions on them.

The BAM seems attractive with the outside tuby-pouch that should be able to hold a stands but it doesn't look to have place for music book. Whereas the Protec looks like there is some space for music books.

The case is for regular transit which in my case means suburb trains, bus, subway and 10-30 walks.

Thank you

P.S. I read a few of the stories about Protec strap breaking, is that such a frequent occurence?
P.P.S. I didn't find much info/review/appreciation of the BAM classic

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,484 Posts
Protec... I'm never buying another with backpack straps again.

I have a Protec Xtreme alto case, with the backpack straps, or correctly, I've had 3 of them so far. They had two different methods of attaching the straps to the case, I won't go into it, but it appears they couldn't decide on which loser attachment method was better. The first one, the strap broke on the bottom after about 10 months of use. I called Protec, they ley me trade for a different one, which was different from the first. This second one failed at the top, within only two months of use. Terrible. Sax fell from shoulder height to the floor inside its case. The case did its job amazingly well, no real damage to the case aside form said broken strap, and the sax was also fine. Good news I suppose, but I again called Protec. They informed me the case was discontinued and sent me a third case in a different color, which was EXACLY the same design as the first one that failed on the bottom of the strap. This time they didn't require me to send one back. So... I used a heavy duty stitcher normally used for leather, and manually sewed the straps back on at the top where they failed, and I'm keeping the new unused case as a just in case extra. So far, my rough stitching is holding better than the factory job, which is really quite sad.

At least their service department has it together. I never filled out the warranty card and didn't have the receipt. They took my word that it as still young enough to be in warranty as good enough. That's a big plus to me. So, I'll still consider Protec, but not for a case with backpack straps.

·
1,484 Posts
And, IMO, they've gotten WAY too pricey. It used to be you could get a Protec for $100 or less new, now you have to get a "Max" case for that price point, and they don't fit vintage horns without modification. Weak. I just picked up an SKB hard contoured case to replace a Protec rectangular tenor that outright broke apart after 6 years of ownership. Too bad it's too old, I'd go yell at them again some more...

I don't travel too much with my horns, so this really is unacceptable life to me. I might just be done with them in general.

·
1,596 Posts
I trust BAM cases more than protecs. I have had a Alto Protec Contoured case and the stitching holding down the strap ring broke and my horn fell down a flight of escalator steps.... the body got bent, luckily that was my old Cannonball and not my Ref54. I'm currently using the Selmer Reference case that came with my horn, which looks like a BAM Softpact case and is made by BAM, but on the forum is reported to be flimsier than the regular Softpact. But even though it is flimsier than the regular BAM Softpact it's still better than my Protec. The Selmer/BAM case has the BAM styled high density foam wrapping around your horn everywhere about half an inch to an inch. not to mention the joints holding the strap and strap rings look much more sturdy than the Protec. The Strap that BAM provides is also much better than the protec, the straps screw shut so they can't come off unless YOU screw it open. A couple of friends of mine also had the stitching holding the strap rings break on them as well, so I know it's not just me.

·
1,484 Posts
Funny you should mention the BAM softpack that comes with the Reference horns. That's what my VI currently resides in. I really like it, although so far it's only taken minor hits, haven't had to really test just how protective it can be (which I suppose is a good thing). I compared it directly to a bandmate's BAM labelled softpack, and it was really exactly the same except for color. I appreciate that it has a place for the neck, mouthpiece, and a small area for reeds. I really miss that with my backup's SKB 150. I have to put everything down the bell, and even though it's a tenor, it doesn't really fit that much.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts