Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm concerned about the fit - at the top of the horn, I have to push it down to get it in properly. I feel like this isn't something that should happen with a case, at all. The sax fits perfectly in its own Yanagisawa case, and is snug. It's a snugger fit in the Bam, yet the pushing down is worrying. Also wondering if it's a case of the foam settling around the instrument as well, but that doesn't make a lot of sense to me - it should fit from the start.

Does the pressure of the foam affect the keys or rods? - forgive the terminology if that's wrong haha. We had this issue in-store and so another case was ordered in, and I was told that it fits beautifully.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,933 Posts
I'm concerned about the fit - at the top of the horn, I have to push it down to get it in properly. I feel like this isn't something that should happen with a case, at all. The sax fits perfectly in its own Yanagisawa case, and is snug. It's a snugger fit in the Bam, yet the pushing down is worrying. Also wondering if it's a case of the foam settling around the instrument as well, but that doesn't make a lot of sense to me - it should fit from the start.

Does the pressure of the foam affect the keys or rods? - forgive the terminology if that's wrong haha. We had this issue in-store and so another case was ordered in, and I was told that it fits beautifully.
BAM does advertise that the Cabine is designed to fit a Selmer Mk VI.

https://www.bamcases.com/products/cabine-tenor-sax-case

I would look to see where the pressure is applied. If only to the body, it is less a concern. If to the mechanism, not acceptable.

In my opinion, you are right to be concerned. BAM is certainly free of any obligation regarding fit if you are using the case for a horn other than Mk VI.

·
Registered
708 Posts
My TJ Signature Custom tenor saxophone seemed too big at first, but it was mainly the bell not fitting properly. I forced it a bit and left the BAM Cabine case closed for a few days, now it fits perfectly.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,579 Posts

I had an aftermarket case that was "too snug" and I had to push the lid down a half inch or so to get it to latch. The horn refused to hold regulation and I had to get it worked on left and right while I used that case. As soon as I switched to one that fit better, the problems stopped. Beware.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
for your reference, my tenor Cabine shuts closed with no force with my Mark VI inside. the horn fits perfectly in the foam cutout, as per design.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BAM does advertise that the Cabine is designed to fit a Selmer Mk VI.

I would look to see where the pressure is applied. If only to the body, it is less a concern. If to the mechanism, not acceptable.

In my opinion, you are right to be concerned. BAM is certainly free of any obligation regarding fit if you are using the case for a horn other than Mk VI.
Cheers, thanks. As that's the case I'll return it and move on, and look for something else a little later down the line.

I had an aftermarket case that was "too snug" and I had to push the lid down a half inch or so to get it to latch. The horn refused to hold regulation and I had to get it worked on left and right while I used that case. As soon as I switched to one that fit better, the problems stopped. Beware.
Awesome thanks.

for your reference, my tenor Cabine shuts closed with no force with my Mark VI inside. the horn fits perfectly in the foam cutout, as per design.
Cheers, thanks for that

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
oh, what you show in the video is nothing out of ordinary. I believe some of us thought you were referring to once the instrument is in the case, it takes pressure to push the lid down to close the case.

BTW you do want the case foam to hug the sax all around just perfectly without significant pressure. What you show is better then if the sax was freely dropping into the cavity. Once in there it has more surface of padding this way. Really absolutely nothing to worry about here.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,160 Posts
I asked my tech about it all - he mentioned that the case may just need to settle in around the instrument.
Here's the pressure I'm worried about when placing the instrument in the case - https://imgur.com/rO8tU2x[/QUOTE

Having watched the video, personally I wouldn’t worry too much. Now if the case doesn’t close then I’d worry.

·
32,933 Posts
oh, what you show in the video is nothing out of ordinary. I believe some of us thought you were referring to once the instrument is in the case, it takes pressure to push the lid down to close the case.
That is what I inferred as well. I have had cases where the lid stopped short of making contact by more than an inch. When that happens, I stop. There's nothing to be gained from forcing an oversized bell, for instance, into a too-small case. Something has to give, and it may not be the foam. Posts can get bent, keys twisted, etc.

BTW you do want the case foam to hug the sax all around just perfectly without significant pressure. What you show is better then if the sax was freely dropping into the cavity. Once in there it has more surface of padding this way. Really absolutely nothing to worry about here.
Concur. If the video is showing the only "interference" with the case, that's a pretty nice fit.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,476 Posts
I have owned several Cabine cases and both the tenor and alto cases were extremely tight on my B&S's but fit more easily after using for a few months. If you can't afford a Manning handmade the BAM Cabine is the next best thing.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
I tried putting my Yanagisawa 991 into a Bam Cabine at a conference. It didn’t fit. I had to move the foam a bit by the upper rods to try and make it fit. The representatives were very surprised when they learned it was a Yanagisawa. I think they thought I had some type of off brand thing. Just around a month ago I visited a local store that had a WO-10 and a Bam Cabine in stock. I tried to see if it would fit. It fit, but it was tight and hard to close the lid. I think this more closely matches the OPs question. So Bam advertises for the Cabine to fit a Yany, but it really doesn’t seem to. I am discussing all alto by the way.
I can say my 991 fits perfect inside of a Bam softpack as well as a WO-2 I tried. The WO-2 also fit perfectly inside of a Selmer Jubilee case. It seems Bam is trying to make the cases more slim but went just a little too far, keeping many other brands from fitting.

·
32,933 Posts
So Bam advertises for the Cabine to fit a Yany, but it really doesn’t seem to. I am discussing all alto by the way.
I can say my 991 fits perfect inside of a Bam softpack as well as a WO-2 I tried. The WO-2 also fit perfectly inside of a Selmer Jubilee case. It seems Bam is trying to make the cases more slim but went just a little too far, keeping many other brands from fitting.
Does BAM advertise a fit for Yanagisawa? If you find it, please post it.

I quoted their webpage above for the tenor fit. Their copy says “Molded on a Selmer Mk VI saxophone.”

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Dr. G, good question. I feel like I recall seeing a list of instruments that fit in the case. Going to the Bam website it does indeed say exactly how you quoted about being molded on a Selmer Mark VI.
So next I decided to check where I bought my Bam Soft Pack, Get A Sax. (He has really good prices for these in case anyone is wondering where to get a soft pack that fits more horns)
On the getasax website it has a longer list of instruments that fit, but unfortunately Bam website doesn’t advertise them on there. So I don’t even know if Bam carries them anymore.

But more important than all of this, the Bam representatives were under the impression a Yanagisawa would fit. I don’t know that it matters really or makes it more legit, but the convention was in the USA and the reps were French. So I assumed they would be coming straight from Bam and really know their product. They said instruments based on the Selmer body design, including Yanagisawa, should fit.

·
32,933 Posts
Thanks for the clarification, Andre.

Best to ya,

George

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
BAM doesn’t make any statement about which saxes fit in their case. All they say is that they were modeled after a Mark VI. I’d expect their reps to infer from that that any sax based on same shape should also fit. Their foam is somewhat compliant, so it should be able to accommodate small differences.

Getasax makes statements about what fits in the BAM cases on their website based on their experience. With the number and variety of saxes that they sell I’d consider their advice reliable.

Dr. G, good question. I feel like I recall seeing a list of instruments that fit in the case. Going to the Bam website it does indeed say exactly how you quoted about being molded on a Selmer Mark VI.
So next I decided to check where I bought my Bam Soft Pack, Get A Sax. (He has really good prices for these in case anyone is wondering where to get a soft pack that fits more horns)
On the getasax website it has a longer list of instruments that fit, but unfortunately Bam website doesn’t advertise them on there. So I don’t even know if Bam carries them anymore.

But more important than all of this, the Bam representatives were under the impression a Yanagisawa would fit. I don’t know that it matters really or makes it more legit, but the convention was in the USA and the reps were French. So I assumed they would be coming straight from Bam and really know their product. They said instruments based on the Selmer body design, including Yanagisawa, should fit.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
I saw a friend of mine who plays on a new Yamaha 875EX and he is using a BAM Cabine case with it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,129 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,826 Posts
padding in all these tight fitting cases can be pushed-in and molded to fit some areas that may be snug, I have watched the video and I don’t see anything worrying.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts