Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BAM has a line of cases call Panther. So there is now a Cabine Panther Alto and Tenor case available. It looks like the current Cabine, with the exception of the part that seals both halves, which looks to be aluminum. From the "Feel The Difference" slogan, I'm thinking that the case has a rubbery feel, like the bottom of the BAM SoftPak. Looks like it will be available in black and grey.
It's currently available on a couple of website. Anyone purchase the Cabine Panther case yet?

BAM Cabine Panther link:
https://www.bamcases.com/en/lines/panther/saxophone/

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,416 Posts
A grabby rubbery exterior would be great. One of my biggest problems with a hard contoured case is it scoots easily and makes it more likely to accidentally spill the sax while setting up or tearing down. Its for this reason that I prefer my Pro Tec cases although I use the SKB too - just have to be more careful with it.

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,832 Posts
I love the look and compactness of the BAM cases but find that I end up needing those extra pockets the Pro-Tec cases provide. I always try to bring a double of everything in case myself or another sax player forgets something: neck strap, reeds, ligatures, I even keep a spare generic mouthpiece that plays fine in case another player has an emergency. I've only had to use it a few times, mostly neckstraps.

The new cases look great; BAM has really come a long way from back in the day...they were one of my top choices, but ultimately I went with Pro Tec for the extra storage.

- Saxaholic

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It looks like the current Cabine, with the exception of the part that seals both halves, which looks to be aluminum. From the "Feel The Difference" slogan, I'm thinking that the case has a rubbery feel, like the bottom of the BAM SoftPak.

BAM Cabine Panther link:
https://www.bamcases.com/en/lines/panther/saxophone/
I spoke with a representative from BAM this morning regarding the difference between the Cabine and the new Panter Cabine cases. The Panther is the same as the Cabine with the exception of the hardware, and most importantly, the textured exterior.

On the Panther, the hardware/latches are chrome, and the part that seals both halves, rigid PVC "male/female" seal, is gray instead of black. The main difference is the exterior, which is textured with a rubberized feel. Thee rubberized exterior will keep the case from sliding, and make it much easier to grip.

I like the addition of the textured exterior and may sell my set of Cabine cases and purchase the Cabine Panther.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,934 Posts
Thanks for the update, LM. Someone was just commenting in a parallel thread about the gripper back peeling on the back of their BAM bari case.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the update, LM. Someone was just commenting in a parallel thread about the gripper back peeling on the back of their BAM bari case.
That's not good. They should be able to get that taken care of or, replaced by contacting BAM.

I called BAM again to ask how the rubberized texture on the Panther exterior is applied. It is a film that's added to the ABS during the molding process, and according to BAM, will not come off.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I've got alto and tenor BAM Cabines and although I love the extreme compactness, I hate the rubberised locks because the rubber rapidly perishes to a sticky mess! The metal underneath is black anodised, but I challenge you to ever fully remove the rubber coating. I'd hope the design flaw was recognised and the new model is a non-rubberised version.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've got alto and tenor BAM Cabines and although I love the extreme compactness, I hate the rubberised locks because the rubber rapidly perishes to a sticky mess! The metal underneath is black anodised, but I challenge you to ever fully remove the rubber coating. I'd hope the design flaw was recognised and the new model is a non-rubberised version.
I spoke with BAM again this morning to specifically get information on the latches for the Panther Cabine. Due to complaints about the Cabine latches being easy to accidentally pop open, BAM has completely redesigned the latch on the Panther Cabine. The latch is now made of polycarbonate and is silver in color, AND most importantly, the new latch is not prone to accidentally open. AND Nick, it's not rubberized.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008-
2,375 Posts
The latch issue would be solved if the case makers(all of them) would have double handles(one on each side).Can't open if you're gripping them!
(I use a Cabine case for travelling...)

·
Registered
189 Posts
I spoke with BAM again this morning to specifically get information on the latches for the Panther Cabine. Due to complaints about the Cabine latches being easy to accidentally pop open, BAM has completely redesigned the latch on the Panther Cabine. The latch is now made of polycarbonate and is silver in color, AND most importantly, the new latch is not prone to accidentally open. AND Nick, it's not rubberized.
So will BAM compensate me with me a free upgrade? :bluewink:

·
Registered
32 Posts
So, I bought this case, and I've had it for around 2 months now. It's beautiful and the outer rubber texture is so great... HOWEVER, I will be trying to return it, or possibly sell it off. The reason: It's not a hard case. It's very flex and I'd describe it as a very hard gig bag. I didn't find this out right away, and at first use, it seems very solid. However, one time, while my sax was not in the case, I made a fist and just put just a bit of pressure on it and the case definitely has some flex and give to it. IMHO it should not be considered a hard case. It's too bad too, because it's beautiful.
If you're into a semi-rigid soft case, maybe for local gigs only, this might be a nice case for you. Having said that, I think the J Winter Greenline offers an identical level of protection for about a quarter of the cost.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts