Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to try and find out about people's experiences of flying with a BAM bari case, having just had "an experience" of it myself.

flew easyjet from Stanstead to Ljubljana, insisted on walking my sax to the steps of the plane, which security luckily let me do. They assured me that it would be handled as fragile, and it came through the other end intact. This is in direct contrast to a friend who flew from Edinburgh to Stanstead (same airline) and her bari (in BAM case) was destroyed!!!!! the case had a white stress mark on the outside, and the top bow looked like someone had opened the case and jumped on it.

On the way home, the Slovene check-in girls would NOT let us take the saxes (2 in BAM cases, and another in an older Selmer hard/flight case) through to departures, but reassured us they would be handled carefully. At Stanstead, they came through with the special luggage (bicycles, baby buggies, golf bags) and although a bit scuffed, looked intact on quick inspection. Not so on playing - all 3 are now in the repair shop. I was gutted, to put it mildly.

what experiences (similar, or more positive) have other bari players had????

Jen

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2008-2017
2,292 Posts
Not Bari Player, but...

What I have heard is that only SKB can protect your horn enough at an airliner.

That is what I have been told.

I play alto, so I have been able to fly with them regualarly.

Kindest Regards,

JI

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,267 Posts
The ONLY case that is any good to check through on an airline is a Custom made Anvil Case. When you order one, make sure you specific that you will be checking it on an airplane. The BAM case is not secure enough.

I have seen horns destroyed in a fall from about 2 feet in an SKB.

My Bari did not survive a fall of less than 4 feet in a Walt Johnson case. That case is extremely scary. The Walt Johnson case bent my horn in eight different places. The case was in great shape. My repair man said that the case is built to flex and the horn was not. I was holding the Walt Johnson case with my bari inside by the shoulder strap. The D ring that held the hook to the nylon webbing sheared in two places. The case fell and my horn was bent. Walt Johnson did nothing. He said that he was not responsible for the manufacture of any of his cases. He told me I could get on the internet and tell my story. I decided to give him another chance. I purchased one of his neck straps. The samething happened to it that happened to my case. This time I caught my horn before it hit the ground. He refered me to his attorney this time.

The BAM case is a better case than the Walt Johnson case, but it is not a Flight Case. BAM will tell you that. Walt Johnson will say that his is. Walt is wrong. His lawyer will tell you that as well. Walt Johnson has lost lawsuits because of horns damaged in his cases.

If you are traveling by air, get a true flight case. Anvil is a great one. They are also about a hundred dollars less than the BAM. They weigh a lot more though.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
latest developments are that I've discovered a UK flight case manufacturer that claims to make cases to full flight spec. I have emailed them, and I'm just waiting to hear back. Prices look reasonable too.
Jen

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
errrr, I suppose I could tell you who they are......... (d'oh!) they are in Yorkshire, and are called Gothard Flight Cases. website comes up on a google search, and it's all looking quite promising. :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
I went overseas and... rented a horn. I love my BAM bari case, but there Is No Way I'd ever take it near a plane.

I spent a long time on the phone with the owner of USA Horn, and it came down to this. The BAM case takes shock nicely, but cannot handle crushing force. The stock Vanguard case takes crushing force; you could park a car on top of it, but a shock will transfer to the horn and screw it up.

Our keyboard player had a case built buy this guys, and it ROCKS:
http://stores.ebay.com/CrazyCaseStore

If I ever travel again, I'm getting one of those.

There is no SKB bari case. If there was, I wouldn't use it. It's just styrofoam, and so functionally equivalent to (if not weaker than) a standard Vanguard case. It just has a more convenient shape.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor 20
4,842 Posts
Scott Tringali said:
Our keyboard player had a case built buy this guys, and it ROCKS:
http://stores.ebay.com/CrazyCaseStore
If the the case you're talking about is the one they show as "ATA hard road case", then I'll tell you that it is not in the same class as an Anvil case. Anvil cases (and other similar makers) use rounded ball steel corner pieces and recessed latches. Those exposed latches are unacceptable in a true ATA flight case. You don't want anything that extends beyond the profile of the case itself. All handles, latches, etc. should be recessed.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Saxus Envious Curmudgeon
3,862 Posts
Two ways in my mind....one a back breaker but gives peace of mind:
That is what Morry suggested-the Anvil.

The other makes a lot more sense to me and that is to get a BAM and then buy a hard shell golf travel case that will fit the BAM case, and lay foam around the Bam in the golf case.
I have heard the Big Bertha hard case will work.

The golf case route works for me because it is lightweight, imminently re-sellable and could be used for golf clubs and/or storage of musical gear (PA speaker stands, rainsticks, diggeradoos, etc...).

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well, if that ain't what I'm planning on doing! - using the BAM case, and having a custom flight case with all the recessed bits and pieces, metal corners etc built around it. will post pics when it arrives.
Jen

·
Registered
40 Posts
Ginger - Please post pics and price!! I had really considered this, because the BAM is so nice to travel with when you're not on the plane.

Morry - the case our keyboard player had all the recessed stuff. Must have been an option?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Scott,

will do, as soon as I get it home (any time in the next week, just waiting for the phone to ring....)

the price is £325 (GBP) anyway, which is almost as much as the list price for the BAM over here. I was lucky to get mine for a bit less (good customer discount....) and also just before the prices went up too.

Jen

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.